• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jonny_Stokes

Sir Jonny Of Promotionshire
I'm going to take Jam_Man's job, just like the time I took the Spread. :finger:

Onest Jonny's Hobjectiff View:

Thought Peterborough were massively ineffective all-round and any League One team worth their salt should have won that game. They might as well have played with just Alnwick, Maddison and Taylor, because the rest of them were hopeless.

That said, Southend worked worked within their obvious technical limitations pretty well; the formation seemed to suit all but one of the players and you were well worth the three points. Sure, you had to head a couple off the line and Bostwick smacked the bar, but you should have won by plenty more. Not that pretty, but certainly very effective.

Bentley 7 - Got caught under one corner, but was otherwise immaculate commanding his area. Didn't have a shot to save apart from the goal (and one save I might've missed when flicking over to the cricket :winking:).

White 7 - Solid, unfussy, steady. Almost to the point of boring. Miss some tackles or go past the halfway line you dullard.
Coker 7.5 - Very good going forward, but had a tough time against Taylor defensively. Great ball in for the winner.
Barrett 8 - Utterly untroubled, with one baffling moment where he turned into Gary Linekar.
Rea 7 - Again, very little to do as Posh were so awful up front, but did what he had to well.

Worrall 6 - Worked hard without really getting a grip on the game.
Timlin 6 - Same as Worrall, but could have been sent off in the second half. Not sure how he escaped even a booking.
Leonard 8 MotM - I thought he was excellent and controlled the midfield. Superb box-to-box energy. Vulgar dive, mind.
Wordsworth 4 - Thought he had a pretty poor game. Think playing centrally in a flat four gives him more defensive responsibility than he'd like and it stunts his undoubted creativity.

Hunt 7.5 - Busy performance. Worked very hard and a good header for the goal.
Mooney 5 - The Mooney I know and despair of. Had his diving boots on rather than his shooting boots. Thought he actually had a pretty good game outside the box, but you can't, as a striker, miss 6 gilt-edged chances and get a high rating.

Subs: All 6/10. Thought Brown made the right calls at the right times.

Congrats on your first win back in League One.

A good/deserved/needed win against what we must remember was a raw team. I'm sure Brown will be going ballistic at the showboating that began 15-20 from the end however.

Bentley - not too much to do - completely missed one corner and made a comfortable save.
White - solid.
Barrett - Appeared to be playing centre mid for a 10 min spell - v pleased he scored - experience vital.
Rea - couple shaky moments, couple good moments.
Coker - Similar.
Worrall - Like him but did not impose himself on game today (nice megs though).
Wordsworth - Silky but possibly too languid.
Timlin - love this guy, better in the first and great/brave header off line.
Leonard - again composure let himself down in front to goal but defensively he was superb. The dive - shameful.
Hunt - As Payne not getting a sniff he will officially become my 'hero' this season :)
Mooney - was warned off him by a couple of O's mates for being too lazy. Yep, should have scored from 3 headers (the latter I think he feared he was going to be clumped by the keeper) but boy can he see a pass that others cannot.

Mercy me! Leonard MOM? I now know you didn't see the game, because Bentley did have a bit to do. Remember the curler in the second half parried away?
Thought Adam Barratt was immense. Hunt looks the part, but one can see why Phil boy wants another striker: it ain't going to be Pigott.

Mercy me! Leonard MOM? I now know you didn't see the game, because Bentley did have a bit to do. Remember the curler in the second half parried away?
Thought Adam Barratt was immense. Hunt looks the part, but one can see why Phil boy wants another striker: it ain't going to be Pigott.

I have to agree. Did nothing when he came on apart from have a first touch that went into next week. Shocker

A good win that we needed, but o dear, if hunt is ever long term injured, i dont see to many goals coming from Pig, or Mooney, we should have scored at least 3 or 4 goals. A wins a win though, and nice to see it on tv.

We can only beat the team put out AND Posh are poor; we ought to have had 4/5 goals and been out of sight with Moonboy being the main missed chances guy. However his work rate, positioning and understanding of the team has greatly improved and hopefully the goals will come.
Defensively we looked good and I expect the line up will not change until either injury or suspensions occur.
Midfield needs some adjustment with WordsW needing to raise his game, Lenny to find his shooting boots and cut the thespian stuff.
Hunt - top player and I wonder how many Chump or Div1 managers are now wishing they had taken a punt on him.
Subs; PB got about right but Pig ought to have got 5/10 minutes more time.

Ref; no changing him, still very poor.
TBV - quiet? All watching Sky?
Stay away armchair fans - poor, poor from you .

We won, and I thought everyone had a decant game. Not going to be an X factor judge and pick on someone because they were poor as no one was.

Well done lads.

we saw again the value of Big Phil's Clean Sheet Mentality: we are too profligate. if we took our chances we'd have won by a hundred but it's like last season - if we can't score we mustn't concede.

Hunt looked good but we are short up front with Mooney playing like that

i thought that Wordsworth did well actually, put a good shift in and had the odd creative moment but mostly did his work for the team and those not in the team might be a bit worried how they get into it

Did not make it to the game but fortunately watched it on tv. Thought it had a lot of potential showing and the understanding between Hunt and Mooney is starting to pay dividends and can only get better.
Harsh to be too critical of any of the players but Wordsworth clearly has something but things are not coming off for him. For me he looks half a yard behind the pace but hopefully that will improve.
Barrett, well great to have got the goal, but he does hang on to players when defending and he is soon going to get punished for it. His holding in the first half was a clear penalty. other than that he held his game well and thankfully netted too.
Mooney is class but its not flying in the net. Yet! I feel his positioning is going to bring him a good goal return and he links well with others.
Hunt is just pure class at this level.
A word for PB. Well done. Left two up top for the majority and like the first half at Coventry the two up works. As can happen we conceded late and it goes to show you need to score more than just one on most occasions at this level. I was sure he would take Mooney off for a mid but all credit he subbed him for Pigott. Pigott I am sure is one who will come good but its not there right now. Hard to berate him with only a cameo performance.
Coker was very good. Some good forward play and excellent last man back stuff. His attempted challenge to prevent their goal was a bit rash and was lucky to not concede a penalty and get sent off to boot. They scored from the move anyway but he needed to be a little calmer at that moment.
Very good performance and I feel sure goals will start to flow easier if this team selection is continued with.
Well done to all concerned. Yes even PB.

Our quality play in the first half was as good as I have seen since the Tilly days. Could have been four goals up on another day. The lads deserved the standing ovation from the East Stand at the break. We were well worth the three points today.

i thought that Wordsworth did well actually, put a good shift in and had the odd creative moment but mostly did his work for the team and those not in the team might be a bit worried how they get into it

I thought he was our worst player by some margin. Every attack broke down when he was involved. Was very surprised he was not subbed., vision - 10/10

Great match .
I don't score players, but thre were a couple of performances where I can see why players get such differing scores.
Lenny- defensive 10/10- attack 5/10
Mooney-positioning, link up play , right place at the right time 10/10- shooting- emmmmmmmm

Continuation of what has been pretty much good performances all season. This time, with cutting edge and, from what I've seen, lessons learnt from both manager and players.

Performance wise, we looked the part and then some - Created so many chances, and on another day, Mooney would have had two hat tricks! Defensively, looked solid, barring their goal, and thought our midfield dominated theirs - which makes the possession stats all the more surprising.

The partnership between Mooney and Hunt looks to be flourishing, and in all honestly, they both look a cut above what we've had up top for us over the last few years. Hunt in particular is a very clever player, and it is easy to tell that he has had success at a higher level - The most pleasing thing is that he hasn't lost his hunger or motivation and he will be an outstanding signing for us this season, fitness permitting. Mooney - Yep, he missed chances, but he kept getting in the right positions, was still willing to have a go, and the goals will come for him, I'm certain. These two, if allowed, can build a real quality partnership this season, and will be on a par with most at this level.

MOTM for me was between Hunt and Timlin, and i'd probably opt for the latter. Thought he was brilliant again today, both in terms of work rate and ability on the ball. What is really encouraging is that both he and Leonard do not look out of their depth at this level - in fact, they look perfectly comfortable.

Brown got the balance of the side spot on today, plenty of attacking options, with enough grit in the middle of the park to snuff out the opposition, and I'd like to think he is now very close to knowing his best eleven. I think he also has to take a lot of credit for the type of football we're playing - some of our passing and movement today was excellent, and whilst we know he is a defensive-minded manager, the team is being allowed to express itself, and create plenty of chances.

From what I've seen so far this season, both he and the team are improving, and we already look a better side than last season - It may be down to the fact that teams are not coming to RH and sticking men behind the ball, and thus, allowing us to play, but whatever it is, I think we are on the right track.

I said, cautiously, at the start of the season to friends that I fancied us for the play-offs - I still believed that after the Swindon game, and now i'm still confident. A long way to go, but we have a really impressive squad of players, our only area in terms of needing to strengthen is up front, and I'm sure we will.

Looking forward to the Shrews next week already!! :)

Just beginning to really gel as a team,if we can keep Hunt fit think we could have a good season.Barrett and Hunt both immense today

My two penny's worth. Some of our build up play today was outstanding....We created so many genuine goal scoring opportunities....ruined on many occasions by mooney....terrible for a professional player to miss two open goals....The others you could say keeper saved etc. I hope it was just a blip for Mr mooney. Hunt was the best player on the pitch. Pleased to see lenny put in a good performance. I would give the team a rating of 7.5
Just to finish...coker still PB best signing
Looking forward to next week

Good win against a poor side.
I hope people don't get on Mooneys back because I thought he and Hunt linked up really well and worked hard.
Pigott has lofty ambitions , but he needs to work like those two.
Yes , we dropped off the pace in the second half , but could and should have still won by a canter.
Havent seen enough of Oneil to judge , but I think this is pretty close to our best 11

Great game and performance. Hunt a class above, and mooney worked well together.

In the 20 mins after half time though we were well under the cosh and Leonard was superb defensively, playing centre mid on his own. Wordsworth waited until the second goal to try to get involved, so I hope he improves quickly

Continuation of what has been pretty much good performances all season.

I have to agree. Walsall apart, its been an encouraging start to the season and all that was lacking was a win. Thought today we played well and ran out deserving winners.

Hunt and Mooney caused problems and look a pairing worth persisting with, Lenny had his best game of the season (shooting aside!) and Barrett was solid at the back.

Lots of positives and plenty to be encouraged by. Early in the season I know, but its not all doom & gloom at Southend after all! Whisper it quietly, I'd even suggest Brown's had a good start to the new season! Bring on next week and hopefully another three points to further underline this.

Back