• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I had to train some little U9's, so I missed the game...but managed to catch the second half on TV. Was it me, or were there signs of the old Lenny back ? Spraying the ball about, up and down the pitch etc. A great athlete who gives everything for the team.

Oh and Lennys long passing was on point today. Some delightful balls. Needs to work on his shooting a tad though, been very wasteful and wayward from distance so far this season.

Agreed re his long passes but his finishing from inside 10 yards has been off tune as well this season; the plus side, as with Mooney, is that he is getting in the dangerous positions.

He was quality today! Just needs to work on his shooting and he'll be the Lenny of a couple seasons ago :winking:

I had to train some little U9's, so I missed the game...but managed to catch the second half on TV. Was it me, or were there signs of the old Lenny back ? Spraying the ball about, up and down the pitch etc. A great athlete who gives everything for the team.

Best I have seen Lenny play for a very long time,his engine to get back and forth is first class,his range of passing was also delightful to watch.

Well played Lenny.

Agreed re his long passes but his finishing from inside 10 yards has been off tune as well this season; the plus side, as with Mooney, is that he is getting in the dangerous positions.

Yeah true that chance at Coventry was a bit of a sitter! Maybe just needs that first goal and he will calm down and show more composure in goal scoring situations in the months to come!

Leonard was quality first 45 mins today, hunt was superb the whole 90!mins, mooney got in the right positions and caused problems for 45 mins, just needed a goal, on another day he would of had 3 today, great result and should of been 3 or 4-1:thumbsup:

If a park player had missed the chances Mooney missed today he would get slaughtered down the pub
Yes he did miss loads of chances, but i also feel him and hunt could be a decent combo up front. First chance to have a look at this new Southend side, being n TV, and i was impressed, at times we played the ball around with aplom, we may not be the best in this league, but, i can see us not far off the playoffs.

Thought we played really well and were as entertaining than I've seen us for a long time....the only negative is that we need to be more clinical...as a team I mean, I'm not knocking individuals. All of the starting XI did well, but we could easily have let them off with a draw when we really should have won by 3 or 4.

MOM either Rea who looked a class above at the back or Hunt ditto up front

Only Negative was Pigott, I'm not one to single people out in general but was he wearing concrete slippers when he came on??

Finally a word on Peterborough? what's happened to them. I'd have thought them to be one of the strongest teams this year, but they were awful. I felt sorry for their right winger (Taylor?) he was excellent, but the with one or two exceptions the rest were dreadful. I'll admit I had my doubts that Prosser and Barrett would be up to League 1 standard this season, but if their No.17 is a League 1 central defender then Luke Prosser is Franz Beckenbauer. I don't think I have seen a worse player in the Football League than him? Who was he? Was he genuinely a first team player or did he collect 6 crisp packets and get a place in the team?

Just back from London and theatreland. I tried to keep a bit of an eye on events at the Hall via smart phone, but Mrs RHB and other family members not impressed, tough! Very please with the result, two goals at home and I missed it, bum. Well done Phil and the team, lets keep it going.

ps - Mr Stokes starting this thread off?

Last edited:
Listened to the match on blues player on the beach in Nice. Sounded very comfortable until the very end when I thought we might somehow throw it away. Great to get our 1st win. Now let's kick on. UTB

Well, it must have sounded different from the commentary I got in Toulouse. With the hatfull of chances we declined and just a one goal lead, I could see something horrible looming. I only got comfortable when Hunt added our second. For some inexplicable reason, the battery of our home phone ran out, eight minutes before time, so I was spared the stress of the final minutes.

Great all round performance, only disappointment was not scoring more, we squandered so many chances, I hope on another occasion we get our scoring boots on and get a convincing win.

I liked the look of the Hunt/Mooney partnership, that was easily the best performance I've seen from Mooney despite the misses. Hopefully once they fully click we'll have goals galore!

Well, it must have sounded different from the commentary I got in Toulouse. With the hatfull of chances we declined and just a one goal lead, I could see something horrible looming. I only got comfortable when Hunt added our second. For some inexplicable reason, the battery of our home phone ran out, eight minutes before time, so I was spared the stress of the final minutes.

You had to see it to believe it ,Yogi.:winking:

Thought we played really well and were as entertaining than I've seen us for a long time....the only negative is that we need to be more clinical...as a team I mean, I'm not knocking individuals. All of the starting XI did well, but we could easily have let them off with a draw when we really should have won by 3 or 4.

MOM either Rea who looked a class above at the back or Hunt ditto up front

Only Negative was Pigott, I'm not one to single people out in general but was he wearing concrete slippers when he came on??

Finally a word on Peterborough? what's happened to them. I'd have thought them to be one of the strongest teams this year, but they were awful. I felt sorry for their right winger (Taylor?) he was excellent, but the with one or two exceptions the rest were dreadful. I'll admit I had my doubts that Prosser and Barrett would be up to League 1 standard this season, but if their No.17 is a League 1 central defender then Luke Prosser is Franz Beckenbauer. I don't think I have seen a worse player in the Football League than him? Who was he? Was he genuinely a first team player or did he collect 6 crisp packets and get a place in the team?

Agreed, Pigott was awful, as bad as he was against Walsall. He was given 2 half decent shooting chances and cocked them both up.

Also Mcloughlin was at fault for the Peterborough goal, taking a chance and giving the ball away cheaply. You rarely see that from Worrall, for what it's worth he was my MOM today.

He didn't look at his best, but hey, he only had 10 mins of action. Not ideal !!

Think it's really harsh of people to judge Pigott so badly, he was thrown in with little time and soon found himself to be the only striker!!!

When the Pig gets more game time alongside Hunt I have no doubt he will make big improvements. Some players can be "super subs" and get straight into the flow of a game and others, especially maybe, younger lads, may need more than a few minutes at the end of a game when the game is already starting to get disjointed.
Heavy criticism under those circumstances of the subs (take your pick from the 3 today or at Cov) is, IMO, respectfully HARSH.
I would agree if they scratched their arses and looked dis-interested BUT that wasn't the case for any of them.

Think it's really harsh of people to judge Pigott so badly, he was thrown in with little time and soon found himself to be the only striker!!!

Agreed, but you can only judge on what you see, and absolutely nothing worked for him today unfortunately...if people are going give marks or ratings they would have to be low/critical based on what they saw today.

I'm still pleased we've taken a chance on him...he does seem to have that eye for goal which is both rare and valuable, and if he can improve his all round game he can become a decent player in the future. But he was very poor in the 10 mins he was on the field today.

Back