• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Firstly the first goal, it was Prosser's awful header straight into the path of the striker.

The second was the basics of football. Someone on the front post. Also it was Martin who didn't get his head to the ball

Thought if Stanley had one or two better forwards then they would have won the game. Their movement was decent and caused us a few problems. Found the first half particularly frustrating. I think we've got some good football players in the team, but we don't use them. Are we really playing to Grant & Timlin's strengths? Sawyer's?

The lack of creativity during the first forty-five was a concern. Better when Hall came on and he should have been man of the match imo.

Can't fault the effort from the players today, but such a disappointing defeat. Prior to Crawley, Harris said eight wins needed. The draws since, so that would be seven wins and a draw required from our remiainng games. Tall order, but it's so tight the points needed might be a little lower than anticipated.

Not a fan either but thought Prosser's poor header cost us the first goal as Gilbert's sliced it out of play a long way from goal.
The second looked very poor defending but not too sure was most at fault.
Due to injuries and suspension there was no real choice but to play him today but I would not be dissapointed if he never played for us again.

He was poor today but has there been a game where he hasn't been poor? He is definitely the weak link in the team and I for one hope we get rid in the summer!

Close this useless thread somebody.

He weren't that bad today, did his job, nearly set up a goal with a good overlap in the area. Yes both goals came from his side, but that does not mean they were his fault.

.Sturrock is taking us knowhere.....Sawyer and Sampson off.....

says it all about the man. Sawyer was looking like the real deal, a proper footballer and Sampson made the galloping grandad Harris next to him look far inferior. He takes off in my opinion the best two players on the pitch especially Sawyer. Ok we scored two after but if he can't see that Sawyer, Sampson, and another of his not so favourites Martin are what people come to see then i'm afraid he can go now. A complete neutral who sat next to me for his second game this season commented i like that no.11, when he gets the ball you get exited that something might happen, 2 minutes later off with no.11. Don't care if we go up or not, Sturrock is blind to a footballer and crowds will be 4000 sooner or later with him in charge!

Personally I thought we were better when Hall replaced Sawyer, but I do agree Banyon on for Harris is the substitution Id have made.

I think PS is still doing a great job, not his fault we threw 2 points away at the end, he can only do so much, its the players responsibility to hold onto a lead against 10 men.

Personally I thought we were better when Hall replaced Sawyer, but I do agree Banyon on for Harris is the substitution Id have made.

I think PS is still doing a great job, not his fault we threw 2 points away at the end, he can only do so much, its the players responsibility to hold onto a lead against 10 men.
...you have missed the point...Paul Sturrock hates a natural footballer. In bookies terms who was the least likely odds to be replaced based on performance according to the crowd probably Lee Sawyer, and the most likely to be replaced by Paul Sturrock... Lee Sawyer. I've had enough of this unentertaining full of **** Manager...today said it all!

Belford - 6.5 Not too busy. Was their 2nd his fault ?
Clohessy - 6 Couple of mistakes in the first half. Improved in the 2nd
Phillips - 7.5 Commanding as usual
Prosser - 7.5 Ok, he gave the ball away for the 1st goal, but overall I thought he looked good.
Gilbert - 6 In my eyes, he should control the near post, for their corner...although i'd like to see it again
Sawyer - 6.5 Had a few chances which he snatched at, but worked hard, and gives us nice shape.
Timlin - 6.5 Worked hard again, but still not the playing as well as he did at the start of the season
Grant - 8 My MOTM today. Bossed the midfield.
Martin - 7 I like this guy. His runs didn't always come off, but he took the game to them
Harris - 6.5 His experience seems to inspire the players around him. Wasted a couple of good opportunities, though...
Sampsom - 6.5 Worked very hard but i'd like to see him try to roll defenders and create things for himself

Subs :

Hall - 7 He's always a threat when he gets on that left peg
Benyon - 7.5 Pleased to see him get his first goal with a great finish. Looked a handful
Ferdinand - 6 Didn't really get into the game

Sturrock - 8. Brought on Hall when it was crying out for someone creative and had faith in Benyon who repaid him.

says it all about the man. Sawyer was looking like the real deal, a proper footballer and Sampson made the galloping grandad Harris next to him look far inferior. He takes off in my opinion the best two players on the pitch especially Sawyer. Ok we scored two after but if he can't see that Sawyer, Sampson, and another of his not so favourites Martin are what people come to see then i'm afraid he can go now. A complete neutral who sat next to me for his second game this season commented i like that no.11, when he gets the ball you get exited that something might happen, 2 minutes later off with no.11. Don't care if we go up or not, Sturrock is blind to a footballer and crowds will be 4000 sooner or later with him in charge!

Sturrock got it spot on. Sawyer offered no width and Hall gave us that. Sampson offered nothing at all and he could have played all week and not got a sniff. Benyon looked good when h cam on, intelligent hold up play and a goal to boot.

Agree, thought Sawyer was doing well and should not have come off.
Personally, I would have liked to see Sawyer moved into the middle, Hall brought on and I would have taken off Timlin, who has not been at his best lately.
At least with Sawyer pushing forward with the ball at his feet, you felt something might happen.
Not sure I agree about Sampson, thought their centre back had him in his pocket today and since his very promising debut at Northampton has flattered to decieve a bit imo.

First half he was average, no mistakes apart from the slice out of play, but nothing shocking, just a standard League 2 full back. Second half he was awful. Couldn't pass, couldn't defend, couldn't do anything. There was a moment after they scored when he was letting the ball go out of play and their winger came, nicked the ball and Prosser had to come across and boot the ball out of play. Prossers facial expression of "what are you doing?" summed it up for me. He won't get a look in again once Barker and Hills are back. Gone in the summer

I know you will probably think I'm a bit mad. But...

For the first 30 minutes I didn't think we played that badly. I thought our general football and posession was good. We kept the ball nicely, played with a lot of width and were spraying passes all over the shop. The only thing that was missing was a threatening striker.

Second half again we came out straight away to attack. When Hall came on we looked like a different team.

Just his presence when he is on the field adds to our quality as a lot of attention focuses on him.

Anyway. I'll carry on this post later cos I'm going to hang myself due to dropping these points.

There were also bad points which I will discuss later.

Now where is that rope.

With Barker coming back for the next game, and hopefully Hills too then Gilbert can be dropped from the squad again. I would have preferred Prosser to play at left back, and Baldwin to come in for Barker, and then leave Gilbert on the bench for todays game.

After watching Peter Gilberts attempt at being a pro footballer today and many other games this season. I feel so ANGRY.
He just is so bad its unbelievable. His positioning is non exsistant, he is slow, cant pass a ball, cant defend and cost us both goals today. He blames others for HIS mistakes too !! A total liability. How many points has he cost us?
IMO he should not be allowed to put on a Southend United shirt ever again. :angry:

Pathetic. If you think one person can cost a team promotion then you are a bigger oaf than you are making out to be

Back