• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Deegan MOM? Eh?

I like him and he always wants the ball, but some of his distribution is extremely poor. There were 3 or 4 really wayward passes and poor selections today.

Probably an 8/10. A good performance in a good team performance.

My MOM was Thompson with Prosser close behind. They never missed a thing. White was pretty good too.

We must have been watching different games! I thought Deegan was superb, he made two wayward long passes in the first half but bar that he always found feet and I would put money on his passing success rate being 85%+. Prosser and Thompson were solid but nothing more IMO and actually did miss a few things and looked a little nervy at times. I think their day was made a lot easier by the terrier-like job that Deegan did sitting deep and protecting the back four and if he didn't get my MOM then B-Williams was next in line.

Payne, Leonard, Clifford and Deegan all in contention for those midfield places. Very healthy. If Shaq can find some form and carry on as he did in the final ten today then things should be looking up!

Flew in from my current home in Singapore for work and a blues game. Avid reader of all the blues news on here in order to keep in touch. I was therefore facing my first game of the season with trepidation after the great start/lost our way season.

Had a lovely lunch by the sea before leaving for the game. England and even southend are different places when the sun is out. Nothing like a bit of Indian summer sunshine. So with that in mind I was expecting a good afternoon with good football to match the weather!

I thought we started very slowly and then played a cagey first half being careful not to give a goal away. Second half the shackles came of slightly - you could tell with Williams playing no risk football in the first half and then getting forward much more with some surging runs in the second. The goal came at the right time with some good pressure and good corner. Of course it had to be corr. Had a couple of dodgy moments thereafter where the concentration dropped and corr tired. Great run and ball from worrall seems to be a smart player with a good engine. My pleasant surprise was the run and goal by Shaq, his subsequent run and shot which went narrowly and then the penalty that want given - he could have had a hat trick! What's everyone complaining about!? As others have mentioned this could be the key to the flood gates. All in all a highly enjoyable day back in southend with a lovely wander back home in the late afternoon sunshine! Good to be back and could well be my only game of the season. Up the blues. Seeing as I don't get to post a match report I'll indulge in some ratings too!

Bentley - 7 - I honestly don't remember him making some match winning saves (although surely a lower number is conversely a better score for a goalie?) He did his day job well and then received man of the match (I don't think I've ever agreed with the award choice in 27 years of attending roots hall (27 years... Crickey that seems a long time when I put in numbers). Great player though with great confidence which is always important for a goalie.
White - 7 - also didn't see him all that much but he did his job well. Didn't think much of the player he marked either mind (wasn't he someone we were interested in?)
Thompson - 8- really impressed with him. Commanding, lots of clever defensive touches, linked well with prosser, played plenty of passes on the floor. Actually reminded me of one of our other great defenders who grew in stature spencer prior both in terms of style but also in features.
Prosser - 8 - I remember when he made his debut. Another commanding game and the same comments apply from above. He does love his hoof however perhaps that his orders? No nonsense and it's what you need in this league.
Williams - 7 - for someone that's 19 and makes his debut a couple of days after signing I was very impressed. Strong quick and good awareness. He did the basic things well without being elaborate in the first half. He either was more confident in the second half or was given license to get forward. Not bad for a loan debut.
Hurst - 7- enjoyed watching his industry and he remains our best crosser of the ball by far. One move in the second half he dropped his shoulder then took his man on the outside and swung a beautiful ball into the box where corr should really have been attacking the ball. Not the fastest but he really worked hard as did the whole team admittedly.
Leonard -6 - didn't impress me as much as I've seen him in the past but still a good player and got stuck in and tried to drive the team forward - the Leonard I last saw came alive in the last 5-10 mins when he drove the shot across the goal.
Deegan - 8 - peter butler anyone? Got stuck in, wanted to win and protected the back 4 job done. Appreciate the concerns re red cards however so important in the team. Very impressed and the roar he gave at the end after winning was evident of his desire.
Weston - 7 - quick and keen with some skill. That will do in this league.
Payne - 8 - home grown always makes a difference but I really like this player. Yes he made a couple of mistakes and he got knocked off the ball a couple of times but so do other players - we only point it out because of his stature. Worked so hard and put some of the Portsmouth lumps to shame. Drove forward showed good movement and some good skill. Fits in well with our team structure playing off the main forward.
Corr - 8 - worked hard as well, some really clever lay offs, ran the line and got the goal. Tired towards the end and I thought he might be replaced. Talisman that is all.

Subs
Worral - great run looks a good player
Shaq - really impressed and I'll join the chorus on how that goal should and will impact his confidence. You saw it a few minutes later when he cut inside and narrowly missed with a smashing hit. Perhaps it's his hair that makes him exciting to watch when he is running in full flight!

Referee played well.

Final not thought the team formation worked today. Nullified Portsmouth attacks, made the defense look solid and then broke with skill and pace. I've seen better at roots hall but thoroughly enjoyable. Good luck for the rest of the season - I'll be following in spirit... And on shrimper zone!

The 86/87 wasn't a bad season to start supporting...............unless it was 87/88........?

The IRA bloke did okay but ever man of the match. Thought palace bloke was immense

I've never been really convinced about the guy, but after today I will keen an open mind.

Well said, I too will confess that he has swayed me this season....

Agreed, hopefully he'll have a Prosser style transformation from scapegoat and weak link to a key player. Wasn't a massive fan but the last few games he has been excellent.

Interesting point for me is where does Clifford come back into the team? Undoubtedly deserves to after his form and seems he was only on the bench due to the knock he got to his ankle but will Brown want to change his line-up after today? If he does then will he rest Payne, rest Deegan who didn't get a full pre-season or drop an out of form Leonard?

Deegan and Williams today were superb, for both players to come into a side when under pressure today and put in that performance was great, same side Tuesday please:thumbsup:

Played well today, still worried over Hurst's Form again today but I hope he can get a run in the team now and lets hope he gets back to the old Hurst we know and like. The lad from Palace came in at the 11th hour and did very well, can't be easy for any player to step up and to be honest he did a good job.I like Degan although I suspect on another day different and poorer Refs may have a different view on his hard type of play........lets hope it a springboard for a few decent results, although the next two will be tough tests for us

We must have been watching different games! I thought Deegan was superb, he made two wayward long passes in the first half but bar that he always found feet and I would put money on his passing success rate being 85%+. Prosser and Thompson were solid but nothing more IMO and actually did miss a few things and looked a little nervy at times. I think their day was made a lot easier by the terrier-like job that Deegan did sitting deep and protecting the back four and if he didn't get my MOM then B-Williams was next in line.

Absolutely. Centre halves today were done a great service by Deegan. I questioned what he had done to get a starting berth today but he proved me totally wrong. We have missed this sort of player

Deegan and Thompson the players of the match for me. Deegan was relatively quiet until the nasty cut on his forehead when clearly elbowed. That seemed to fire him up and was great after that. Broke the Pompey play well

Funny what different people see. I thought he was on the money, better player than Coker. Strong, fast and never gives up.
I will agree with that 100%, would love to sign him permanently and see how he develops but I think he will be knocking on the door at Palace, so composed for his age

No but deegan did

So he is part of the IRA then is he? Calling him the IRA bloke is possible slander

He posted a tweet in 2012 in response to a team mate being called up for the NI team. An inappropriate tweet that was removed straight after. Doesn't make him part of the IRA does it? I could post up the ANC but it doesn't make me part of a murderous gang does it

What is it with people? Why so much criticism of White? Let's just think here, he had Ricky Holmes to deal with, who is renowned for doing well against us, and he had him in his pocket pretty much most of the game. He was also putting in good crosses throughout the match unlike Hurst (two good ones) and Weston (one I think). He's not Clohessy, I think some people just need to get over that fact! :soapbox:

I thought our whole back four performed extremely well today, Tommo possibly just edging the others out for the pick of the bunch. Deegan was excellent, really reminded me of Macca and Gutteridge in his manner, and will probably pick up a fair few cards...and bans....similarly. Either of these two were worthy contenders for MOTM - was really surprised the sponsors gave it to Bentley! Jacko improved on his fitness levels, will soon be at full match level and is still causing the opposition problems. Delighted also that Coulthirst came on and hopefully proved some of his detractors wrong.

7s nearly all round for me. Hurst and Weston 6s, Thompson and Deegan 8s.

What is it with people? Why so much criticism of White? Let's just think here, he had Ricky Holmes to deal with, who is renowned for doing well against us, and he had him in his pocket pretty much most of the game. He was also putting in good crosses throughout the match unlike Hurst (two good ones) and Weston (one I think). He's not Clohessy, I think some people just need to get over that fact! :soapbox:

I thought our whole back four performed extremely well today, Tommo possibly just edging the others out for the pick of the bunch. Deegan was excellent, really reminded me of Macca and Gutteridge in his manner, and will probably pick up a fair few cards...and bans....similarly. Either of these two were worthy contenders for MOTM - was really surprised the sponsors gave it to Bentley! Jacko improved on his fitness levels, will soon be at full match level and is still causing the opposition problems. Delighted also that Coulthirst came on and hopefully proved some of his detractors wrong.

7s nearly all round for me. Hurst and Weston 6s, Thompson and Deegan 8s.

You have to be joking. Ran the channels superbly, created space, was always an outlet.

As for White, weak link I'm afraid

I certainly picked that up. Far from a team whose spirit was negatively affected, everyone seemed to have nothing but delight for Shaq today. Almost to a man, they stepped up to show their support. Question asked. Question answered as far as I'm concerned.

And what a well taken goal. Hopefully, he can push on from here. If he'd showed that sort of finishing before, we wouldn't have gone into this game under so much pressure.

Other notable mention for Atkinson who made a great impact when he came on.
Agree 100%, the congratulations he got from everyone right in front of me were genuine, a great team spirit at the moment.

Everyone played a part today, Deegan and B-Williams were superb, slotted in as if they had been in the team all season, can't understand how White only gets 6's on here a lot of the time, he does his job very efficiently, made some great challenges today, when every player does their job the whole team click, bit more respect for our captain who in my opinion does his week in week out wouldn't go amiss.

just got in

Bentley MOM

Are you joking !

Sponsors watched a different game to me. Did what he should, Nearly cocked up due to miscommunication but solid enough with some good saves and safe in the air.

Payne Thompson Deegan just a few better today in my opinion

Mind you the sun was a bit bright in the East Stand lowers so I may have missed something

Bentley 8 - Did everything right toady, made a couple of good block saves, handling under pressure was faultless and quick throws give us an attacking option

White 6 - Looks the weak link at the moment at the back, maybe he is exposed too much
Thompson 8 - Had his best game in a blue shirt today. Won everything and can#t see Bolger getting back in on that form.
Prosser 8 - Solid as usual
Williams 8 - Great league debut, strong as an Ox. Great cross near the end and powerful header in the firat half, very unlucky not to score
Deegan 9 - MOM Took a few mins to get into it, I think Brown switched formation slightly to fill the gap in CM that Portsmouth were exploiting first 15 mins. Put his body on the line, broke up play, made some great passes and interceptions, made such a difference to the team today
Leonard 7- Seems to be a bit off form at the moment, a few sloppy passes
Payne 8 - Usual energetic self, picks a pass so well and makes space
Hurst 7 - Better than of late, maybe getting some confidence back
Weston 8.5 - Ran his socks off for the team, found space so well and always an outlet. First half, received the ball from a quick Bentley throw, held his man off, turned and left his marker for dead. Great run and cross
Corr 7 - Was anonymous until popping up with the first goal then came to life

Subs:

Worrall 7 - Lively, great pass to Shaw for the second goal
Coulthirst 7 - Came on and was lightning. Composed and took his goal so well. Hopefully he can push on now and really show what he can do
Atkinson 7 - Shored up a defensive set up and still made a couple of good runs

Brown did his homework today and that helped the win.

Positives - Deegan. Must be a regular going forward. Looked slimmer and fitter than the pre-season friendlies. Coulthirst getting his goal. Thompson really showing why he gets picked for international football. Brown realising early on the formation wasn't right and changing it
It is funny how people see things differently, I agreed with you about B-Williams but totally disagree about White, he was excellent today, just goes about his business with no drama, Payne's passing today was woeful at times but he made up for it a bit with his energy, looked a bit lost at times though, drifted in and out of the game.

Overall a good team performance though, first time in ages i've seen no bickering amongst players and if someone made a mistake someone else was there to step in and clear it up.

Have we found the right formula by chance with the injuries forcing most of the changes ? Deegan must play every game now surely.

just got in

Bentley MOM

Are you joking !

Sponsors watched a different game to me. Did what he should, Nearly cocked up due to miscommunication but solid enough with some good saves and safe in the air.

Payne Thompson Deegan just a few better today in my opinion

Mind you the sun was a bit bright in the East Stand lowers so I may have missed something
I think the sponsors were a group of giggly young ladies ? No surprise that pretty boy Dan got it then, don't think they fancied Deegan :smile:

Sponsors Mom is wrong pretty much every time. Dan did well but it was not a Mom performance. Deegan Thompson were the rightful contenders for me. Does anyone have a clue whether any of the sponsors who pick Mom understand the game of football?

Back