• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Apart from the brilliant 3-0 win, Deegan getting sent off was excellent. At least Timlin will get back in the side. Mom for me today was Barnett, a masterclass in playing that role. Shame he will now be unavailable for Shrews away. The old SUFC returned toady. Good counter attacking football, solid in defence. Also impressed with all the loaners, none of whom look out if place in the team. A very good day all round and sets us up nicely for two very winnable games.

Is that like 'today' only a bit more riveting?

Great game and so committed.

Thoroughly deserved win.

Heard Brown on the radio saying he wants to bring two more in,but players will be going out.

Fantastic defensive performance, backed up by clinical finishing from Barnett and Payne. I've got to hand it to Phil Brown, every time I start doubting him he manages to turn things around.

I was interested to hear a Wet Spam fan in the pub who went to the game today describe Barnett as lazy. I'm guessing he's never seen Mooney, though saying that I suppose they both do have a fairly languid playing style, the difference being Barnett knows when to turn it on, and he can actually finish.

Looking at the bench today it seems that along with Prosser, Worrall and Hurst are probably on their way out, they've all played their part in the past and I wish them all well if they do go.

A final word for those in the South Upper who booed the subbing of Payne for Timlin. It was absolutely the right decision in the circumstances, I'm assuming they were the same fans that decided to give Deegan a standing ovation, #clueless :nope:

One of the very best home debuts I've seen from Barnett, absolutely superb. Thought the positional discipline from everyone was excellent, you could see how much work had gone into that on the training ground so credit to everyone involved in that. Thought both wing backs were excellent as well, Hendrie was excellent and 2 assists says it all, also had 3 or 4 decent enough openings himself. Leonard and Atkinson were both superb once again. Leonard has been back to his very best this season I think and is someone Brown should be looking to tie up on another long term contract.

Having watched the penalty incident again, I can see why the ref only gives the yellow, even though I believe he should still have sent him off. Atkinson plays the ball past the keeper but whether he beats the defender to it if he isn't bought down is in doubt.

First game in ages where I genuinely can't single anyone out for not performing. Deegan for a silly second yellow and PB not taking him off when the whole ground knew it was coming maybe? Who cares. Great game, great performance, and tactically spot on. Top efforts to everyone at SUFC today. Made me proud to be a fan today.

One of the very best home debuts I've seen from Barnett, absolutely superb. Thought the positional discipline from everyone was excellent, you could see how much work had gone into that on the training ground so credit to everyone involved in that. Thought both wing backs were excellent as well, Hendrie was excellent and 2 assists says it all, also had 3 or 4 decent enough openings himself. Leonard and Atkinson were both superb once again. Leonard has been back to his very best this season I think and is someone Brown should be looking to tie up on another long term contract.

Having watched the penalty incident again, I can see why the ref only gives the yellow, even though I believe he should still have sent him off. Atkinson plays the ball past the keeper but whether he beats the defender to it if he isn't bought down is in doubt.

He has had more than one home debut? :winking:

Apart from the brilliant 3-0 win, Deegan getting sent off was excellent. At least Timlin will get back in the side. Mom for me today was Barnett, a masterclass in playing that role. Shame he will now be unavailable for Shrews away. The old SUFC returned toady. Good counter attacking football, solid in defence. Also impressed with all the loaners, none of whom look out if place in the team. A very good day all round and sets us up nicely for two very winnable games.

What did you think of Jack Payne's performace today, just curious......

Agree with all of that but you forgot Hendrie who I thought was immense today. Both he and O'Neil really played their role well, defending when Coventry were attacking and pushing forward when we were. I think Hendrie was involved with both the goals so for me he was MOM.

I did and you are right. A £1m signing for Spammers and he showed why. Give we have Coker a real quandry- difficult to see we will keep him when Coker is fit again but a great signing

As a Sunday league defender, today was a thing of beauty. Absolutely nothing got through, the organisation, communication and blocks were just on another level. I'd go as far as to say that's the best defensive performance I've seen from a Southend side since a certain night in November 2006.

I remember when Brown first started, there were some Preston fans who said they had been impressed with PB when they were doing well, but that once they went on a bad run he just couldn't cope.

This bad spell has shown that we can have a blip and PB is able to get results back! Very impressed with the turn around in form, and if he needed to upset a few people in the process than that's fine by me. #################

Also 8 points out of Coventry and Peterborough this season is pretty good going!!

This is a very pertinent comment. Brown throughout his career before his time here has struggled with losing runs. His reaction at Swindon suggests he is still insecure about this. So important to win today and indeed to get the point last week.

Was an awesome all round team performance yesterday, and very impressed with the new boys. The only down side was the p**s poor decision to not substitute Deegan at half time as he was always going to get sent off after that first yellow. I think the whole ground saw that one coming! The ref was gunning for him and just needed an excuse to wave the red card, and Deegan obliged for a very silly foul. Real shame, because after that, we had to sacrifice Jack Payne who was having a super game and was working well with Barnett, and we had to get behind the ball rather than keep going forward.

Vast improvement on the last few weeks, so something has shifted behind the scenes. It was good to see Barrett with the captain's armband again, made a huge impact at the back, holding the lines and sorting everyone out. I was worried during the second half about sitting too deep, but a combination of teamwork and bodies getting in front of everything made it impossible for Coventry to find a way through. Much as it was an excellent display I would have preferred Timlin to have been brought in at half time, and seen Payne and Barnett continue to create havoc in Coventrys end!

for the record, 352 with O'Neal and Hendrie looked balanced and attacking. Makes the loss of Coker through injury and Worrall and hurst going in the transfer window more palatable.

Glad O'Neill played well as I personally prefer him to White!
Anyone know when Wordsworth is back??

What did you think of Jack Payne's performace today, just curious......

Thought he played very well, in a very good team performance, took his goal well, a similar chance to the one he missed at Peterborough. The right decision to take him off when Deegan went off.

Interesting that PB said that he wants a couple more signings I but will need to shift a few out. Based on yesterday's bench it would appear that Prosser, Hurst and Worral are top of that list. I thought yesterday's performance was a real team effort, all pulling and fighting for each other, blocks, bodies on the line. There were no bad eggs out there yesterday, all gave 100% and especially when down to ten men. If these three cant do this then let them go.

What was with the Cov number 10? Alice band, gloves and 3/4 length shirt sleeves.

Was he trying to be a very effeminate Christiano Ronaldo with half the talent ?

Back