• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown once again got it spot on today! Man is a legend. Oneil and hendrie both great at the back and both got forward well. the three cbs also fantastic. John white will struggle to get back in the team now until injury hopefully, as this formation wouldn't work with him. Great to see AB bossing it as captain aswell. Only change needed is timlin for deegan

What was with the Cov number 10? Alice band, gloves and 3/4 length shirt sleeves.

Was he trying to be a very effeminate Christiano Ronaldo with half the talent ?

As in the animal kingdom, he was showing subservience to Deegan. Obviously the three quarter sleeves were because he wasn't sure whether Deegan would get sent off during the match so his sleeves were neither rolled up (masculine) or down (girlie). Simple really.

As in the animal kingdom, he was showing subservience to Deegan. Obviously the three quarter sleeves were because he wasn't sure whether Deegan would get sent off during the match so his sleeves were neither rolled up (masculine) or down (girlie). Simple really.

Strangely I hadn't thought of that.

Cracking performance and as has been said, Cov wouldn't have scored if they were still playing now. It may seem like a ultra defensive set up with 5 at the back but it does seem to be working well for us with the wingbacks pushing forward. I must admit I was still nervous even after we went 3 up given our ability to lose leads this season!

Great to see a win this season and 4 out of 6 points from my two games as I head home to India - happy days!

Could not make the game yesterday but from highlights seems that Hendrie was involved in everything. At this rate Coker will struggle to get back into the team Like wise White.Cracking performance and well done to PB but should he have taken off Deegan at half time? As it turned out it didn't matter and we have Timlin to come in.
Does anyone know whether Big Tyrone can play Tuesday week?
Have a good trip back Shrimper in India.

Could not make the game yesterday but from highlights seems that Hendrie was involved in everything. At this rate Coker will struggle to get back into the team Like wise White.Cracking performance and well done to PB but should he have taken off Deegan at half time? As it turned out it didn't matter and we have Timlin to come in.
Does anyone know whether Big Tyrone can play Tuesday week?
Have a good trip back Shrimper in India.
Pretty sure I read that he won't be allowed to play against Shrewsbury. Not to panic, we do have a reasonably good replacement in Hunt............just don't get injured during the week Noel!

Cracking performance and as has been said, Cov wouldn't have scored if they were still playing now. It may seem like a ultra defensive set up with 5 at the back but it does seem to be working well for us with the wingbacks pushing forward. I must admit I was still nervous even after we went 3 up given our ability to lose leads this season!

Great to see a win this season and 4 out of 6 points from my two games as I head home to India - happy days!

Its not ultra defence.when we go forward we go forward with 5 in the middle as the lb and Rb bombforward and get back

The performance was so good from every player, that I feel sorry for McQueen and Kamara. They've come here for regular first team football, but will find it hard to get into the starting line up, barring injuries or loss of form.

Very well played everyone.
Stupid red card, ref so obviously wanted to send him off. I said Phil should sub him at half time.
Thompson played brilliant too. Hard to pick a man of the match but Barrett just for scoring twice and doing the donkey work up top too
Many of us at our half time discussion agreed that Deegan should have subbed before he was sent off and was bewildered when he wasn't. The result got PB off the hook, for should we have lost after Deegan had been dismissed he would have been taking much flak today!

How can we let Hendrie go back and bring in Coker? It sounds stupid to say but Hendrie is on a different level!

Love the wing backs again as I did vs Peterborough! Credit to Oneil as well think playing as a wing back we are now seeing the calibre of him!

play like that vs the scum and it's gonna be a cricket score!

I've bashed Deegan over the last week or so saying he's not good enough, I thought he played well yesterday breaking up coventrys attacks with regularity, so hats off to him for that. BUT...... two obvious yellow cards could of ruined the hard work put in by the team in the first half, luckily the oppo were so toothless up front that they resorted to umpteen shots from 25 yards that we're all hopelessly ballooned over or wide.

Lots on here are saying it was obvious that deegan was going to be sent off so he should of been withdrawn at half time....my question is, if this is the case every time he gets booked then why the hell should we start him in the first place?

How can we let Hendrie go back and bring in Coker? It sounds stupid to say but Hendrie is on a different level!

Love the wing backs again as I did vs Peterborough! Credit to Oneil as well think playing as a wing back we are now seeing the calibre of him!

play like that vs the scum and it's gonna be a cricket score!

Hopefully not a 6th XI one! :winking:

#injoke

Anyone know when Wordsworth is back??
Woody, Weston and McLaughlin were all around the dugouts before the match and were asked this question and all replied within a few weeks.

For the record, Hurst, Prosser and Worrall were all there and all these players, plus Cokes, took part in wishing the rest of the team well for the game with back slaps and hand clasps a'plenty as they came off from the pre-match warm up.

Agree with so much of what others have said, great home debuts from Barnett and Hendrie, and also the short glimpse we got of "Lightning" McQueen - showed he is fast as that as well!

Formation worked so well up till when Deegan went off, but even then, with 10 men, the formation just adapted and continued to work. Poor old Joe Cole, Roots Hall not the happiest of places for him - ended his Chelsea career here and couldn't hit a barn door yesterday! Admire him for wanting to continue playing, you can still see flashes of his old skills but he is a shadow of what he used to be. A word on their player O'Brien, have never - and I really do mean, never - seen a player who whinged so much, goodness me, he didn't stop!

Bentley - 8, did everything he needed to, just wish he would talk to his defence a bit more, Bolger put one out for a needless corner because it was the safe option but Bentley needs to learn to tell the defence when there is time and space - it's his area to command
O'Neill - 8, a great performance from Luke, did really well, some good challenges and good positional play
Bolger - 8, our best header in the area, glad to see him back in
Barrett - 7, the old warhorse commanded things from the back
Hendrie - 9, quality player, two assists and never stopped all game, offering himself for the pass or the shot, what a signing!
Thompson - 7, worked hard
Atkinson - 7.5, lovely dummy on their defender before he was taken down! :smile: A good performance and a display to show why Brown persists in picking him
Deegan - 7, did ok up to the bookings, first one was nailed on, second was unnecessary
Leonard - 7.5, another who worked tirelessly as usual, nice to see some variety in the throws
Payne - 8.5, takes a little while to get going but once he does (and if he's allowed, as he isn't always) he's often unplayable. Great game, and well taken goal which we thought was going wide! Unfortunate, but inevitably subbed after Deegan's red. One wish....when he's left up the pitch when there's a corner against us, I wish he'd learn to run about on the half way line rather than standing still in one spot - work the opposition at all times!
Barnett - 8, a big proper lump of a centre forward with a proper physical presence, was very impressed - and a great spot kick too!

Subs:
Timlin for Payne - 7.5, huge fan of Tims, delighted he'll be back in the side now. Made his presence felt and showed Coventry he wasn't going to take any nonsense from them
Hunt for Barnett - 7.5, loved how there was no eye contact between him and his brother and they tangled quite a bit! Didn't look like any brotherly love was lost!
McQueen for Atkinson - 7, not only long but showed a fair turn of speed.

All in all, a great day at the office and a delightful display - well done everyone, supporters too who kept the noise going throughout! #UTB

The performance was so good from every player, that I feel sorry for McQueen and Kamara. They've come here for regular first team football, but will find it hard to get into the starting line up, barring injuries or loss of form.

Sorry - yes but no. Yes - these players may have expectations of getting in the first XI but no as they have to get that place when others are not performing (or get injured) ............. and we all have our fingers that this could be some time. :thumbsup:

Firstly I thought Deegan was playing well until the sending off. What matters now is what he does next. As long as he learns from this it is not a disaster.
Secondly, with the first substitution I thought we would change from a back five to two banks of four and Barnett feeding off the midfield four. So when PB stayed with a back five I knew that was wrong. Oh well, got that one wrong!!
I thought Barrett was a very organised, vocal and demanding captain. With all due respect to White I rather like Barrett continuing if White returns which may not be some time soon since O'Neil is growing into this role.
I enjoyed Roots Hall yesterday. Good fotball, good atmosphere and the half time hot Bovril was hot this week!

Firstly I thought Deegan was playing well until the sending off. What matters now is what he does next. As long as he learns from this it is not a disaster.
Secondly, with the first substitution I thought we would change from a back five to two banks of four and Barnett feeding off the midfield four. So when PB stayed with a back five I knew that was wrong. Oh well, got that one wrong!!
I thought Barrett was a very organised, vocal and demanding captain. With all due respect to White I rather like Barrett continuing if White returns which may not be some time soon since O'Neil is growing into this role.
I enjoyed Roots Hall yesterday. Good fotball, good atmosphere and the half time hot Bovril was hot this week!

Deegan will not change or learn. It's in his blood to be that type of player.

Deegan will not change or learn. It's in his blood to be that type of player.

Don't worry as from next season under new FA rules, any club that owns a Deegan must have him microchiped, muzzled and neutered.

Having watched the penalty incident again, I can see why the ref only gives the yellow, even though I believe he should still have sent him off. Atkinson plays the ball past the keeper but whether he beats the defender to it if he isn't bought down is in doubt.

You've contradicted yourself.

You're saying there is doubt Atkinson would have got to it first AND he should have sent him off !

That doubt is exactly what makes yellow the correct card.

Have read all the posts on this thread and glad majority, like me, thought O'Neill was VERY good. A few more things I would comment/ask is:-

1) Is Hendrie not just on loan until Coker recovers from injury? Seems unlikely PB would keep both in squad as WHU would expect Hendrie to start and I just simply cannot see Coker NOT getting back into team.

2) My initial comment in this thread said I thought White would struggle to get back in team and if we were to play 4 at the back I would say 'no chance' unless O'Neill gets injured or starts to perform badly...but...if PB is now planning to go permanently with 3 CB's (which easily works with Hendrie and O'Neill), White could easily slot in at one of the 3 CB's. Just depends on what formation we are going to play from here on in. Interesting options.

Back