• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Take six points from the next two, anything is possible. We need about 30 from 15 games, so at least 10 wins from here. Tough task.

I think we need 35 points from our remaining 15 games to achieve a play off place, which is well nigh impossible. But we've achieved 9 out of a possible 9 in our last three so....... hope springs eternal.

This is the side we thought we had. Credit to Phil Brown for bringing the players in, but he became the villain of the piece in the way he managed them, clearly.

We have the same players, but are now a completely different team.

You can see the confidence flooding through the players. SCP encourages them to try things, it's what the crowd want to see. We actually played some football on that ploughed field of a pitch and the second goal was a great move.

Wigan are top of the table but I don't think we saw any of that today. Grigg was anonymous, Powell was a whinger. We actually stopped them playing their game and consequently became the first team to beat them since October.

Good marks all round, again, no-one had a poor game. 8's for everyone except Turner, who was a colossus - 9 and MOM. Timlin close behind with 8.5 and would have got higher aside from the fact he was caught in possession in the lead up to their goal.

The ref let things flow but I'm not sure about some of his decisions... I have seen better but also a hell of a lot worse!

Please don't let's do our usual now and lose to Bury.

COME ON!

Completely agree with all of that Mark.

It never ceases to amaze me how one person, albeit a key one, can make such a difference to a work force.

I have seen it in education, when a headteacher has left a well run successful school, for it to end up in 'special measures' relatively soon after a new appointment.

Similarly, in the past, we have witnessed at SUFC our fortunes changed for the better eg., Steve Thompson, Barry Fry.

PB without doubt assembled a more than competent squad.The problem was he seemingly lacked the man management skills to bring the best out of those people. Perhaps, if he has a future in football (after being sacked by SUFC), it is on the recruitment side rather than actually managing.

SCP has the same players as PB had what is SCP saying and doing that is so different from PB?*

Mind games and saying the right thing (rather than saying the wrong thing, (especially to the media)) can and possibly has made a huge (9 points worth) difference...

UTB:happy:

*rhetorical question

Completely agree with all of that Mark.

It never ceases to amaze me how one person, albeit a key one, can make such a difference to a work force.

I have seen it in education, when a headteacher has left a well run successful school, for it to end up in 'special measures' relatively soon after a new appointment.

Similarly, in the past, we have witnessed at SUFC our fortunes changed for the better eg., Steve Thompson, Barry Fry.

PB without doubt assembled a more than competent squad.The problem was he seemingly lacked the man management skills to bring the best out of those people. Perhaps, if he has a future in football (after being sacked by SUFC), it is on the recruitment side rather than actually managing.

SCP has the same players as PB had what is SCP saying and doing that is so different from PB?*

Mind games and saying the right thing (rather than saying the wrong thing, (especially to the media)) can and possibly has made a huge (9 points worth) difference...

UTB:happy:

*rhetorical question

Absolutely - we had a good set of players but not a team was an observation that I made after quite a few games earlier this season. The new players have had little influence over that last 3 games and so it is clear that the same team has now won 3 games against 3 of the better teams in this division.

Our winning streak will come to an end at some point but even so what has been achieved over the last 3 games is quite remarkable.

Two very honest and fair interviews from a hoarse Paul Cook and the impressive midfielder Max Power - most unusual to hear after a defeat that must have hurt them, and no whinging about the "penalty" either (I'd have been furious if we were denied a penalty in a similar situation). So well done Wigan and I hope you go up as champions.

Penalty shout is pretty irrelevant though. They’d have lost 3-2

Picking up on one other thing with Paul Cook. I noticed before the teams came out, he went over to the Wigan fans and applauded them.

Seems like a decent honest bloke, in the mould of Sean Dyche. Even talks like him, as someone pointed out.

Who needs foreign managers, eh, when you can get a match full of passion and commitment, plus no shortage of quality on a difficult pitch, with two decent home grown bosses! :thumbsup:

What annoyed me when PB was in charge was the mentality of some that we couldn't do any better.

Well 3 wins in a row against the better teams in the division would suggest that, that myth has been dispelled.

Not only are we now getting an extra 25% from each player, but we are no longer trying to out fox the opposition and playing players out of position. We are simply set up in the right way and attack teams. We are going out to win and not simply to avoid defeat.

It's the same players, but they look completely rejuvinated.

They are smiling and look so close as a group. SCP has brought something special with him. Not just a manger, but a mentor and a motivator.

Back onto the game.

Wow. Literally the team ran themselves ragged and the work ethic was out of this world, but make no mistake, there was more than enough quality and our second goal had that in abundance.

Personally think that Ron waited too long to pull the trigger, but anything can happen in football. If the team continue to play like this we may end up with a magical end to the season.

Whatever happens this season, next season should be very memorable.

Oxley 7 couldn't do anything about the goal. Bit flappy at crosses and his kicking was slightly off.

Demetriou 7 worked hard, but was done for pace several times.

Ferdinand 8. Solid and commanding. I've been critical of him , but to boo him pre match isn't on. He is our player and out in a shift as much as the next man yesterday.

Turner 9 mom. Absolute beast. Won literally everything. Vital blocks and clearances all match. Top stuff

Coker 7. Cool calm and solid. Didn't get forward too much but worked hard.

Kightly 8. You can see Michaels a confidence player. When he is on it he is very very good. Started slowly and got better. Scored a decent goal.

Timlin 9. I thought he was shot. I thought his better days were behind him. How wrong was I. Different class yesterday. One bad pass all game which unfortunately led to a Wigan goal, but what tenacity.

Yearwood 9. It's hard to believe that this lad is 17. I very much doubt this kid will see out his 4 year deal with us. So composed and looked a threat when bursting forward.

McLaughlin 8.5. Another that looks like a man possessed. He really is putting in top performances. Great going forward and covering every blade of grass for the team.

Cox 8. Worked his proverbial whatsits off. The goals will come but it is a team game. Did so much closing down and riding tackles for the win.

Fortune 7. This bloke is how old? He is in great shape. He worked hard and a great pass coupled with great movement and a finish, allowed him to get on the score sheet.

Ladapo 7. Looked big strong and helped tiring legs. He will get games as fortune can't play every game. Maybe a start on Tuesday.

Harrison 7. Really impressed. Quick feet and looks pay. Will play his part I'm sure. Could have scored too.

McGlashan. Not on long enough to judge.

The crowd 8. Great to have the roots hall roar back and also to see crowds on the up again. Hoping to see 10k against the pompey. Tell your friends and pack the old girl out for the next game. UTB

Last edited:
Warriors! Can someone remind me again how you get photos normal size and not so you need magnifying glasses, please?!

Turner & MAF.jpg

It should work if you open the photo and right click on it. Then copy & paste it into the 'quick reply' box.

attachment.php

Does it if I do it from my post here but not from the original photo in my stored files...
attachment.php

Right click on the original image to bring up “copy image address”
paste that in a reply here with
at the end, with no spaces

Thanks Scott, will try that another time, think there's quite enough of this pic here now!

Ah, yes, I can see that might be the case 'OBL'.

Probably a long way around, but if you place the image onto the 'zone in it's original size and then edit it from here then I guess that's a way around it, as well.

I don't want to start an argument here, but is there anyone on here prepared to eat humble pie over the way they wrote Timlin off whilst he was being played out of position at left back? I seem to recall people saying it didn't matter what his position was and that he shouldn't play for us again.

The last few matches he has been superb, and IMO has proved that the issue was his position, not his ability.

I don't want to start an argument here, but is there anyone on here prepared to eat humble pie over the way they wrote Timlin off whilst he was being played out of position at left back? I seem to recall people saying it didn't matter what his position was and that he shouldn't play for us again.

The last few matches he has been superb, and IMO has proved that the issue was his position, not his ability.

I think "form an orderly queue" comes to mind. Still, what do we know?

One other thing, I heard a few ‘boos’ when Ferdinand was called out in the line up just before kick off, same as when he came on for JW against Pboro last week... whoever it is shame on you!

He’s one of our players for God’s sake; and although he’s been guilty of a few duff performance let’s not forget he suffered a personal tragedy last year, either applaud him or say nothing

Hopefully he seems to be back to last season form since SCP has taken over.

No more boos please!

This is getting ridiculous and embarrassing now. Idiots are on his back before he even kicks a ball. We all get frustrated with players in the heat of the moment, but this is starting to get a bit spiteful and hateful. I don't care who Anton supports as I never expected him to become an SUFC fan when he signed and I'm also not bothered if he fell out with the big-headed Chelsea centre half either.

I think full credit must go to Ron Martin for the change in fortunes.

Firstly he persevered with Brown hoping against (forlorn) hope that things would pick up, particularly after the Charlton game, but it was not to be. However he moved swiftly to secure Powell and avoided the scenario of 'first choices' declining to take up the role which has been evident at some other clubs where replacing a Manager has drifted.
NO !!!Youre SO WRONG !!! Most fans wanted Brown out a couple of months ago ,long before Christmas,I wouldn’t have waited that long.just imagine where we might now have been in the table.....(I do appreciate Ron might have had some complications to overcome)

Back