• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 3-2 Hartlepool

Cricko

Post your Match Reports and Ratings here please.

Talk about a game of two halves.:unsure:

BBC website and the Hartlepool site have their possession figure as 51%, Listenning on the radio it sounded like we had far more possession in both halves of the game? What did it seem like to those who were there?

Not that it matters but it makes me wonder if they pluck these figures out of the air sometimes!

We were all over them, certainly in the second half.

Even when we were 2 down I wasn't really worried and felt confident we'd get back in it.

Would have been nice to get a fourth for a bit of breathing space and ease the nerves in added time.

BBC website and the Hartlepool site have their possession figure as 51%, Listenning on the radio it sounded like we had far more possession in both halves of the game? What did it seem like to those who were there?

Not that it matters but it makes me wonder if they pluck these figures out of the air sometimes!

We were all over them like a rash for 90 minutes.

That possession stat is rubbish!

Strange, strange game. Even at 0-2 down, you still felt we could come back and win it.

Arise Laurent - unplayable this afternoon!

There was an article in the programme by I believe our own Hawkwell Blue about the Newport game in 1977 which we won 4-2 from a 2-0 deficit. How ironic that much the same scenario was enacted this afternoon. Superb cross from Scannell for Barney's winner.

And if the rumour is true we are no longer under an embargo, hopefully Tilly will be able to freshen the squad in January.

Mildenhall - 7 - Didnt have a lot to do other than catch a few simple crosses and pick ball out of net. Could do little about the goals. Kicking not great
Christophe - 7 - Very measured and disciplined performance in unusual position. Did what he was told, kept it simple, and used Scannell and Laurent to do the damage rather than taking risk himself
Malone - 6 - Awful in the first half , much better in the second. His delivery from set pieces is simply woeful more often than not. If only our final ball was better. He can defend ok though when he keeps mind on it
Barrett - 8 - Commanding today at the back with Morrison. Usual Barrett driving runs got us going
Morrison - 8 - Looking better each game. Wins headers and keeps it simple. I like him
Grant - 7 - Got involved - didnt deserve the booking after some of the tackles Pools got away with. Got a knock and had to come off
McCormack - 8 - Much better from Macca today. Passing still a bit awry, but his determination today was a big reason we came back, and did brilliantly for the second goal
Moussa - 7 - Better from Mousse today, won alot of ball, but didnt really get forward enough for me. Came into middle and looked ok
Laurent - 9 - When he is on it, no defender can live with him
Ibehre - 6 - Held ball up well in the second half, but aside from that anonymous
Barnard - 7 - two poachers goals but looked off key in first half, especially that miss.

Scannell - 8 - Made a difference and terrorised Hartley as Laurent did
Walker - 7 - Did as he was told and ran at their other full back

Ref - 7 - Niggly and annoying, but better than some losers we get here

All in all a vital 3 points and anyone else get decent view of our first goal? I had no idea what happened other than that I thought they got it clear

I thought Hartlepool were a poor side at this level and we gifted them two goals, but credit to the boys for keeping the faith

Mildy 6.5..Dropped one shot, but in general, looked comfortable
Jef ...7..Looked ok at RB. Strong and linked up with Laurent well
Malone..5..Too many poor set pieces and crosses straight at their keeper
Morrison..7.Assured display. Likes to pass the ball out on the floor.
Barrett..6.5 A bit clumsy in the 1st half, but kept pressing forward and was better when we took the game to them
Laurent..8..MOTM by a mile. Skinned their LB, time and time, again.
Grant....6.5..Steady in the middle
McCormack...7..Passing was better. Kept plugging away
Mooooousse..6.5..Not in his best form but tidy play.
Ibehre...6..Quite strong, but first touch sometimes lets him down
Barney...7..yet again, worked really hard and took his goals well
Subs : Scannell...6.5..Quite lively....Walker 6.5...Lively aswell

Same result as last season and they finished with 10 men same as last season aswell.

2-0 at half-time was a joke really, early goal did the job and they fell apart.

Good performance but still look frail defensively. Get the feeling we wont keep many clean sheets with that team.
Laurent outstanding first half, Barney and Macca the stars of the 2nd half.
Morrison pick of the defence, not impressed with Malone but got forward well and delivered some good crosses.
Ibehre worked hard and deserved a goal but always needs an extra touch which ruins the chance. Same can be said of several of our players though.
Just hope we can keep Barney, 2 poachers goals, always in the right place. Looking at Walkers "performance" when he came on, we desperately need Barney to stay as he is nigh on irreplacable, but in my view capable of cutting it in the championship.

Morrison - 8 - Looking better each game. Wins headers and keeps it simple. I like him

He's definately got potential. Strong in the air and decent on the ball. The only negative would be his decision making which isn't always the best. There was a couple of examples today - particularly their 2nd goal - but that can be put down to lack of fitness and his tender age. Glad we've extended the deal though, as he'll continue to improve and that will only benefit us.

OK my twopenneth. We mullered Hartlepool from beginning to end. They had roughly 2 shots. First well struck after the defence fannied about and a wicked deflection for goal 2. If we'd gone in 3-0 it would have been about right. Second half again only really one side in it but this time we scored from our chances.
Team spirit first class.
All the team played well even Macca
Malone's set pieces are excellent.Sometimes he over hits and some times under hits but that how you get the swerve delivery. If he could do it all the time he'd be playing at a higher level.
Great cross from Scannell for the winner.
Blue voice superb as was the atmosphere generally in the part of the west I was in. Very little moaning and a feeling throughout even 2-0 down that we were going to win.
And we did.
Fantastic entertainment.

I dont usually post on the match report threads, but i would like to say a few things.

Firstly Christoph was great at right back. Maybe he has finally found his place in the team. Stayed when he needed to and went forward to support when required.
He also remembered the most important thing in that position and that is to defend. He won pretty much everything that came down that channel and played some decent balls in. Take note Simon Francis.

Morrison. Is he really just 18 as he doesnt look it. The boy is going to be some player. Very strong in the tackle and positive on the ball. Made the odd lapse at times , but he is still so young with so much to learn. A real player in the making.

Laurent. He beats players with such ease that it makes you almost feel sorry for them. My one critisism of him is that he needs to be more direct and create a little more. A player of his quality should score 10+ goals a season like gower used to.

Scannell. I real old fashioned winger display from Damian today . Done exaclty what was required showed for the ball beat his man and created a chance which was scored by Barney.

A decent allround performance just a shame that we cant play more often with the attacking purpose we showed when 2-1 down. As soon as it went 2-2 there was a considerable drop in attacking play.

Finally the support. Good support today. A week before christmas and with Hartlepool bringing what looked like about 100 fans a seasons low was on the cards , but 7700 is a great show of support.

Back