• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United All-Time Draft

So, I need a decent right back. We haven’t been blessed with oodles of brilliant full backs in recent years, and with Powell, Austin, Edinburgh etc gone I’ve had to do a bit of research.

That research leads me to believe the best option unpicked is a defender we signed from Spurs and who went on to make 297 league appearances, scoring 5 goals, including during our one title winning season...

Michael John ‘Micky’ Stead

Some poor buggers going to get Mark Hone.....

I'm liking the look of my team... going sort of according to plan... and I'm particularly grateful for being able to STILL select my next pick.

This forward is one of my favourite ever strikers. He scored goals wherever he was, always against us and even more for us (unlike Matt Harrold where it was the other way around).

He came at a time when the club showed a lot of promise, having been promoted to Division 3 and holding their own. He stayed and banged in goals as we started our decline in the mid 1980's, hitting 72 in 180 appearances.

In my side, he would be the perfect foil for any Collymore knock on, he would run the channels latching onto a Ronnie Whelan pass and would feed off any scraps and rebounds in the box as well as having the ability to dribble and create his own chances. He was literally a goal machine and it always amazed me how he stayed with us so long scoring golas when he had bagged tons at Brentford.

My front pairing is therefore complete with the addition of Steve Phillips.

Rd 1
1. Steve Tilson (Manager)
2. Freddy Eastwood
3. Stanley Victor Collymore
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
6. Steve Thompson (Manager)
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. David Crown
6. Keith Jones
7. Mark Gower
8. Dean Austin

Rd 4
1. Justin Edinburgh
2. Kevin Maher
3. Paul Clark
4. Richard Cadette
5. Simon Francis
6. Nicky Bailey
7. Leon Cort
8. Brett Angell

Rd 5
1. Ian Benjamin
2. Andy Ansah
3. Daniel Bentley
4. Colin Morris
5. Eddie Perry (Manager)
6. Harold Halse
7. Ron Pountney
8. Anton Otulakowski

Rd 6 Order
1. Dave Cusack
2. Sam McCrory
3. Jimmy McAlinden
4. Peter Taylor (player)
5. Derek Spence
6. Andy Ford
7. Les Stubbs
8. Pat Scully

Rd 7 Order

1. Mark Bentley
2. Michael Timlin
3. Ronnie Whelan
4. Frankie Banks
5. Ryan Leonard
6. Dru Yearwood
7. Peter Watson
8. John McKinven

Rd 8
1. Bill Garner
2. Roy McDonough
3. Roy Hollis
4. Micky Stead
5. Paul Sturrock (Manager)
6. Steve Phillips
7. Barry Corr
8. Steve Tilson (Player)

Rd 9
1. Andy Edwards
2. Keith Dublin
3. [FBM]
4. [Lord F]
5. [Spiff]
6.[ YB]
7. [Napster]
8. [Firestorm]

@fbm on the clock

Last edited:
This one was a hard one because there are a couple of players who haven’t gone yet who I want. But there is one I really want to complete my front line.

He came into the club at a really hard time and didn’t have the best of scoring records due to his injuries. He was big and bad and new exactly where the back of the net was. Unfortunately due to his injuries it took a toll on his career with us. Personally after helping us win promotion I think he deserved another contract but he decided to move for a better contract at another club.

He’s a cult hero and is loved by many and I want him upfront with Stubbs and Eastwood.

My next pick is the one the only Barry Corr.

@Thomas Finney over to you mate for your two.

Yep, if Tilly the player hasn’t already been picked

Then my next choice is made, a member of the great Dave Webb side of the late 80s and early 90s, a stylish midfielder who scored plenty of goals, and also the player of the millennium:

First Choice; Steve Tilson

I only have one defender so far, and one of my earlier considerations is still on the board, so I’m going for:

Second choice: Andy Edwards

For my next choice I considered going for a current player who is unfortunately injured. He’s been ever present in this position but I thought I would add someone who was in his position when I first really started going to games.

He was ever present in a poor era for the club but was the best of a bad bunch and from what I remember was a pretty decent left back at the back end of his career. He scored goals and played over 150 appearances for us.

My next pick is at Left Back and is Keith Dublin.

Over to you @fbm

For my next choice I considered going for a current player who is unfortunately injured. He’s been ever present in this position but I thought I would add someone who was in his position when I first really started going to games.

He was ever present in a poor era for the club but was the best of a bad bunch and from what I remember was a pretty decent left back at the back end of his career. He scored goals and played over 150 appearances for us.

Over to you @fbm

Blimey

Last edited:
My first central defender and we always need a bit of height at the back. This player probably wasn't the best on the floor, but totally dominant in the air. He also scored the funniest goal I've ever seen against Darlington in a 2-0 win at the Hall when a punted boot forwards to no-one in particular bounced in front of the Darlington keeper who has come to the edge of the box. For some reason he couldn't keep up with the ball, stumbled, started crawling after it and dived on it as it was crossing the line. Both ball and keeper ended up in the back of the net.

Neil Townsend, welcome aboard.

Over to you @fbm
Is that a barrel I hear ?

Back