• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United All-Time Draft

1. Steve Tilson (Manager)
2. Freddy Eastwood
3. Stanley Victor Collymore
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
6. Steve Thompson (Manager)
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. David Crown
6. Keith Jones
7. Mark Gower
8. Dean Austin

Rd 4
1. Justin Edinburgh
2. [Napster]
3. [Yorkshire Blue]
4. [Spaceman Spiff]
5. [Lord Football]
6. [FBM]
7. [Ricey]
8. [Thomas Finney]

@Napster on the clock

Last edited:
Ooh me again guess I’ll just go for the lynchpin of the early 00s. And still with us and rightly a legend. long serving, consistent, played his part in the Tilson era.

I’ll message you

Ha, you're wrong.

I didn't want to pick a second centre-half so soon but I can't believe he's still there. The value is too good to pass up. He was nearly picked 4th overall and had LF picked him nobody would have batted an eyelid.

My team will need a captain and leader on the field and this man is a warrior to lead us into battle, well he's not any warrior: he's a viking.

The viking.

How the hell is he available still in the 4th round? Well he's not any more. With the third pick of the 4th round I select the legend that is Paul Clark.

May he have more mercy on your forwards than he showed to Steve Bull.

Ha, you're wrong.

I didn't want to pick a second centre-half so soon but I can't believe he's still there. The value is too good to pass up. He was nearly picked 4th overall and had LF picked him nobody would have batted an eyelid.

My team will need a captain and leader on the field and this man is a warrior to lead us into battle, well he's not any warrior: he's a viking.

The viking.

How the hell is he available still in the 4th round? Well he's not any more. With the third pick of the 4th round I select the legend that is Paul Clark.

May he have more mercy on your forwards than he showed to Steve Bull.

Damn he was on my list

1. Steve Tilson (Manager)
2. Freddy Eastwood
3. Stanley Victor Collymore
4. Alan Moody
5. Billy Best
6. Dave Webb (Manager)
7. Dave Smith (Manager)
8. Barry Fry (Manager)

Rd 2
1. Mervyn Cawston
2. Darryl Flahavan
3. Spencer Prior
4. Chris Powell
5. Peter Butler
6. Steve Thompson (Manager)
7. Adam Barrett
8. Simon Royce

Rd 3
1. Mike Marsh
2. Paul Sansome
3. Ricky Otto
4. Jonathan Hunt
5. David Crown
6. Keith Jones
7. Mark Gower
8. Dean Austin

Rd 4
1. Justin Edinburgh
2. Kevin Maher
3. Paul Clark
4. Richard Cadette
5. [Lord Football]
6. [FBM]
7. [Ricey]
8. [Thomas Finney]

@Lord Football you're back on the clock

Some stats

Managers: 5
Goalkeepers: 4
Full-backs: 4
Centre-backs: 4
Centre-midfielders: 4
Wingers: 3
Forwards: 5

On the clock is @fbm

Ok, potentially controversial choice coming up.

This player, in my opinion, was one of the greatest ever midfielders we have had. That;'s not saying he went on to bigger and better things, because he arguably didn't (he did go up a level but never fulfilled his potential); he's not an international and I don't think ever played top flight football. I guess that's the point here - to select the players based on their performances whilst with us and not on what they had achieved or would go on to be, otherwise we'd have a team full of people like Frank Lampard senior and Trevor Whymark.

But in his short time with us (just one season), he won POTY, played 45 games, netted 9 times, would appear all over the pitch, frequently making saving tackles at one end before having a goal attempt at the other after what seemed like just a few seconds later and became, in the words of the manager at the time, "irreplaceable".

His "dream move" departure turned the fans against him in the same way that they turned on Barry Fry. When a fan has such love and admiration for a player who spurns the club, the hurt runs so deep that frankly you forget what they have done for you and the previously held fondness turns bitter extremely quickly. They can frankly **** off and die, preferably after a couple of horrible career threatening injuries and will NEVER be welcomed back as an opponent to anything other than a chorus of "Southend Reject" or similar.

(What do you mean I still seem bitter? I am so over it. Almost certainly.)

But all that aside, I'd have that player during that season in any team I selected.

Nicky Bailey, come on down.

Good choice FBM and someone who I would’ve considered.

For my next choice I’m going for someone who scored a hat trick of headers against Boston. He was one of the better players of a pretty poor time and went on to have a better career than his more famous (at the time) brother. He was big strong and solid at the back and had a powerful header. He would be my perfect partner for my captain and fellow centre back Barrett.

If you haven’t guessed already I’m going for...

Leon Cort.

Ok, potentially controversial choice coming up.

This player, in my opinion, was one of the greatest ever midfielders we have had. That;'s not saying he went on to bigger and better things, because he arguably didn't (he did go up a level but never fulfilled his potential); he's not an international and I don't think ever played top flight football. I guess that's the point here - to select the players based on their performances whilst with us and not on what they had achieved or would go on to be, otherwise we'd have a team full of people like Frank Lampard senior and Trevor Whymark.

But in his short time with us (just one season), he won POTY, played 45 games, netted 9 times, would appear all over the pitch, frequently making saving tackles at one end before having a goal attempt at the other after what seemed like just a few seconds later and became, in the words of the manager at the time, "irreplaceable".

His "dream move" departure turned the fans against him in the same way that they turned on Barry Fry. When a fan has such love and admiration for a player who spurns the club, the hurt runs so deep that frankly you forget what they have done for you and the previously held fondness turns bitter extremely quickly. They can frankly **** off and die, preferably after a couple of horrible career threatening injuries and will NEVER be welcomed back as an opponent to anything other than a chorus of "Southend Reject" or similar.

(What do you mean I still seem bitter? I am so over it. Almost certainly.)

But all that aside, I'd have that player during that season in any team I selected.

Nicky Bailey, come on down.

Yeah, one of the better players we've seen in recent years and a really good pick

Back