• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United Band

As an old supporter of many, many years SUFC had our own Supporters Brass Band. They played and marched up and down the field at half time. The band leader had a long staff beating out the time as he led the band. Both men and woman in uniform.

I remember on one occastion it flicked out of his hand and stuck upright ahead of him in the turf, it was very funny.

There has been brass bands in and around Southend-on-Sea for about a century, records show that there was once a Leigh Town Band, a Prittlewell Brass Band, a Shoebury Railway Workers Institute Band, a Shoebury Boys' Band, mostley Mission bands and of course, the Salvation Army, which came to Leigh and Southend in the late 1800s and formed their own brass bands.

The present-day Southend Band, whilst not able to lay claim to a direct filial relationship to these old bands is, nevertheless, certainly one of the oldest music-making ensembles in the borough, tracing its direct lineage back to before the Second World War through the Southend United Football Supporters Club Band (formed 1953), the Southend Ambulance Band (1946), the 16th Essex Home Guard Band (brass and reed, 1939), the Southend Local Defence Volunteer Band (brass and reed, prior to 1936) and the Southend Borough Military Band (brass and reed).

The Southend Band has been the official civic brass band since November 1985. Since that time they have rehearsed on Thursday evenings at the Civic Centre in Victoria Avenue and more recently at St. Peter's Church Hall in Eastbourne Grove, Westcliff-on-Sea. They still have a large and loyal following of enthusiastic supporters, which augers well for the future

Southend United Supporters Club Band 1953 2.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band in the Southend Carnival 1953 (Dressed in Drag)

Southend United Supporters Club Band 1953 3.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band in Carnival 1953 in Southend Carnival marching past the Supporters Club (Dressed in Drag)

Southend United Supporters Club Band at Kursaal 1953 1.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band playing at the Kursaal Ballroom in 1953

Southend United Supporters Club Band at Kursaal 1953 2.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band playing at the Kursaal Ballroom in 1953

Southend United Supporters Club Band at Grays Athletic 1955 1.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band playing at the old Grays Athletic ground in 1955

Southend United Supporters Club Band playing at Roots Hall 1955.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band playing at Roots Hall 1955

Southend United Supporters Club Band playing in Southend Carnival 1958.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band in the Southend Carnival 1958

Southend United Supporters Club Band at Cliffs Bandstand in 1960.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band at the Cliffs Bandstand 1960

Southend United Supporters Club Band at Roots Hall 1960.jpg
Southend United Supporters Club Band at Roots Hall 1960

Canvey Castle is presumably meands the current line up which I saw in action here some years ago .

You're quite right though the original band wer miles better.Saw them a couple of times back in the day too.Complete with Lee and Wilko.

I saw a wonderful documentry about Wilko Johnson

Now that I’m off the drugs and sex I don’t think I would be any good
but look back fondly to touring, large crowds, being attributed with a first dive into the crowd, when in fact an electrical shock from a faulty Vox amp fired me off the stage, being dragged off the stage to rapturous applause when my maracas That I was Was bashing against a tambourine , burst and all the beads and purple dust exploded into my face and eyes

but enjoying performing with David Bowie, other top bands, 2 Number one hits, Seeing our rhythem guitarist by a pink Cadillac on biggest pay day, being broke and having bailiffs collect the hidden equipment, trips to Chicago and meeting up with Buddy Guy , playing all his guitars and Eric’s in his green room and brief , isolated moments singing in bars in Cuba

now sing to the grandchildren only to put them to sleep, and occasionally annoy the neighbours with what has become a dreadful throaty warble and slow hands on the acoustic guitar and less breath on the blues harp

Nice that 3 family members are all in different bands and wife still playing violin in orchestra

this is the only post I will make on this as my fingers hurt

Now that I’m off the drugs and sex I don’t think I would be any good
but look back fondly to touring, large crowds, being attributed with a first dive into the crowd, when in fact an electrical shock from a faulty Vox amp fired me off the stage, being dragged off the stage to rapturous applause when my maracas That I was Was bashing against a tambourine , burst and all the beads and purple dust exploded into my face and eyes

but enjoying performing with David Bowie, other top bands, 2 Number one hits, Seeing our rhythem guitarist by a pink Cadillac on biggest pay day, being broke and having bailiffs collect the hidden equipment, trips to Chicago and meeting up with Buddy Guy , playing all his guitars and Eric’s in his green room and brief , isolated moments singing in bars in Cuba

now sing to the grandchildren only to put them to sleep, and occasionally annoy the neighbours with what has become a dreadful throaty warble and slow hands on the acoustic guitar and less breath on the blues harp

Nice that 3 family members are all in different bands and wife still playing violin in orchestra

this is the only post I will make on this as my fingers hurt
Barry, just seen this post.

Don't keep us in the dark --- who are you ?

Your family are obviously talented.

I know the site is member confidential so feel free to message me with names etc and an autograph or signed photo.

Cheers.

Before the Bromley game I was talking to a supporter and the drummer of a popular International Indie Band. I was wondering if there are enough proper musicians who support the blues to form a virtual band.

I know the bass guitarist of the legendary Dr Feelgood is a season ticket holder and goes home and away gigs permitting.

Alison Moyet could be on vocals so any more out there to complete the line-up?
i can play the pink oboe ;)

Back