• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United chairman Ron Martin keeps faith in manager Mark Molesley

Beleive he was brought in slightly after some others no?

Wouldn't say there have been disasters in recruitment, Sterling is the only one who fits that bill. Failure to bring in a striker is the main issue, but who knows how many the HofR suggested...
It looks like with all these 0-0's a striker scoring just 4 goals might have been enough to keep us in the football league. To not find someone anywhere in the world to do that is a failure.
(Yes the reponsibility also goes to MM and RM).

Why?

We can safely assume that McCormack, Hart and maybe Holmes and Ranger were Ron signings, that Green, Hobson, Kyle Taylor and Cordner were Molesley signings.

The likes of Ferguson and Nathaniel-George were solid signings, Olayinka has been our best loan signing since Assambalonga. It's too early to tell with Mellis.

Montgomery seemed a decent enough keeper, signed with little notice and not from an obvious source. Some credit is due there.

A striker was needed and a decent one in Akinde was identified. Ron (or MM?) couldn't get the deal over the line.

so by that analysis he hasnt really done anything then?

It looks like with all these 0-0's a striker scoring just 4 goals might have been enough to keep us in the football league. To not find someone anywhere in the world to do that is a failure.
(Yes the reponsibility also goes to MM and RM).

Its not about anywhere in the world though is it. Its players that:

- Want to come here
- On a short-term deal
- In a side that is struggling
- We can afford to pay for
- Are fairly local (won't want to relocate)
- Are fine with the instability of the club (wages not paid etc)
- Other clubs don't want (this is a big one, anyone that we want won't come if there's a better option)

Ultimately, I agree its a failure because we didn't get one, but given we don't know what the behind the scenes goings on, its more complex than just to say its a failure at fault of MM in particular.

I'm willing to assume he and his team did not identify 1 striker that they went for at 9pm on deadline day.

Sacking managers has hardly served us either

That’s exactly my point YB.
Sacking managers is the end result of Ron Martins poor decision making with questionable appointments in the first place.

This has no doubt cost the club a fortune in pay offs in recent seasons.

We shall find out next season if the call to retain Molesley was the right once. However I don’t believe he will be the manager this time next year.

Last edited:
It's not a large management team. It's a similar size to every other club in this division.

It's a similar size to the set up of the teams we'll be playing next season. Take someone like 12th placed Boreham Wood - they have a first team goalkeeping coach, a first team analyst, an assistant manager, a first team coach etc.

It's a similar size than he had at Weymouth in the Conference South. If anything he may have had an extra coach at Weymouth.

Perhaps they can afford it, whilst we clearly cannot

Because his business acumen has certainly served us well so far..

Impossible to know what might have happened if Ron hadn't have taken over - I suspect there was probably a reasonable chance we'd have gone bust years ago - so maybe it has, maybe it hasn't??

what? them 17 players he 'has' signed aren't enough of an indication for you

No team should leave their manager in the position where they have to do their business in January which is always a difficult month. He needs a proper pre-season. No restrictions

He's had plenty of time since. He will succeed or run out of excuses and we all hope for the former. He seems to be a diligent, caring and hard worker and we all want people like that to succeed. Unfortunately on any measure it's not going well. The players he inherited either didn't improve or went backwards (or elsewhere). There was a short term bounce following the end of the embargo and now those players that came in seem to be going backwards under their new coaching regime as well. There is hope and enough games to get out of this but not really any evidence it's going to happen.

Indeed, but it was the bad start that has left us in this position.

It's not a large management team. It's a similar size to every other club in this division.

It's a similar size to the set up of the teams we'll be playing next season. Take someone like 12th placed Boreham Wood - they have a first team goalkeeping coach, a first team analyst, an assistant manager, a first team coach etc.

It's a similar size than he had at Weymouth in the Conference South. If anything he may have had an extra coach at Weymouth.

the Weymouth Town backroom team the best in the business ?

results suggest not.

Better than Concord Rangers ? Probably ...

On a level with Boreham Wood .... No .. ! B Wood were a level higher ..

Impossible to know what might have happened if Ron hadn't have taken over - I suspect there was probably a reasonable chance we'd have gone bust years ago - so maybe it has, maybe it hasn't??

Yeah, let’s hope we avoid the going bust scenario in the next year or 2, Ron said earlier in the season that wasn’t on the cards & the club should be ok.

However I find it hard to believe a word that comes out of his mouth these days, with the light at the end of the tunnel being an oncoming speeding train☹

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
We can safely assume that McCormack, Hart and maybe Holmes and Ranger were Ron signings,

Exactly - a weak manager who has got the Chairman running the team ...

How can you expect players to take you seriously ?

Leadership completely undermined ....

Do players respect your team selection when you are playing the chairmans fave old pro

Having the drive and determination to succeed includes having the balls to stand you ground and saying no way will I put up with interference in the football side...

An absolute nailed on indicator of some one not up to the job and making compromises to survive -

It’s been said over and over again, why some seem insistent on not accepting it is baffling.

We as a club - whether that be Anton Robinson/MM (Ron rightly or wrongly) have targeted players. We’ve been rejected and moved on to plan b and been rejected and moved on to plan c,d,e,f,g,h,I,j,k and rejected and had to settle for Nile Ranger. I guarantee you those making decisions haven’t not tried to sign players/strikers. It’s not as simple as a “I want x” and x signs in the same day

Its not about anywhere in the world though is it. Its players that:

- Want to come here
- On a short-term deal
- In a side that is struggling
- We can afford to pay for
- Are fairly local (won't want to relocate)
- Are fine with the instability of the club (wages not paid etc)
- Other clubs don't want (this is a big one, anyone that we want won't come if there's a better option)

Ultimately, I agree its a failure because we didn't get one, but given we don't know what the behind the scenes goings on, its more complex than just to say its a failure at fault of MM in particular.

I'm willing to assume he and his team did not identify 1 striker that they went for at 9pm on deadline day.

Posted before I saw this. This is the reality of the situation. Great post

How much of those promotions were based on the fact Weymouth had Bournemouths best and brightest in their squad?

I think you have avoided the question at the same time as answering it.

2 promotions does not equal negative defensive football. Weymouth played attacking football because he had the players to do it, probably because Weymouth don't have a bad rep for not paying their players on time etc

That said, once Hart was sent off on Tuesday, we did nothing but attack

Exactly - a weak manager who has got the Chairman running the team ...

How can you expect players to take you seriously ?

Leadership completely undermined ....

Do players respect your team selection when you are playing the chairmans fave old pro

Having the drive and determination to succeed includes having the balls to stand you ground and saying no way will I put up with interference in the football side...

An absolute nailed on indicator of some one not up to the job and making compromises to survive -
[/QUOTE]
Without wanting the facts to intrude and spoil everything it's entirely normal for agents of ex players to make contact with the chairmen of prior clubs if they have an interest in going back. All these players were known to be interested in returning. Ron didn't contact them- their agent contacts Ron to say my player is keen to discuss a possible return? Ron then says OK but its up to the manager (perfect example is Ranger, Sol said no and blanked him, MM said come in and train on your own, get fit, and we will see- you have much to prove). In all the cases you mentioned MM made the decision to sign them. For the most part they only signed after convincing MM of their worth whilst training with the club- in Rangers' case for months.

It might suit the narrative to describe them as Ron's signings- but thats not really the case. Any more than its the that he picks the team, sets tactics, formations, makes the substitutions, does the team talks etc. He can be blamed for very much but the idea he is running the team is for the birds.

Last edited:
Back