• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United confirm Dave Penney as new assistant manager

I´ve never actually worked with Dave before but we´ve been on courses together and he was actually at the airport with me when I first got the call from Ron Martin to talk about the Southend job. I went on a course with someone last week and she was lovely. Dont mean I could work with her though!“I´ve always been an admirer of his teams and it´s great he´s agreed to come in.”
Despite, Penney´s arrival Graham Coughlan will also be staying with Southend as first team coach and that also delights Brown.
“I´m hoping Graham will also sign a new deal this week and that´s fantastic news,” said Brown.
“With him staying I think we now have a formidable back room team.” and a replacement for CB?

Great that they have a formidable back room team, now all they need is some players that we can afford to pay!

:omg:

Nice to see OS is keeping us up to date with the news!!!! At least we're getting a nice preview of all the teams we play next season,just be nice to know a little of what's going on with our own team!:angry:

assistant manager&scout

if we cannot pay the staff we have got will the new assistant&scout be working for nothing

Still can't understand why somebody of penny's stature would want an assistant job when he has proven himself as a manager

Hasn't done anything of note after leaving Doncaster. Didn't do much with Darlington, and left when they entered administration. Was at Oldham for one season before leaving and then lasted 2 months after he lost 9 from 13 games. Has been out of a managerial job for 2 years now.

I dont see the point in this appointment when we are keeping Coughlan too. At this level you dont need effectively 3 coaches to manage 20 players (if we are lucky to have that many come August). He is a manager, will he adjust to being assistant? The money wouldve been wiser spent on players in my opinion. It seems like Brown is trying to impose a structure and setting of a higher league club (training ground refurb, pitch relaying etc) not realising we are skint!

I think you will find that Phil brow know that the club doesn't have the money of hull city .And I cant see him walking away from a contract . Only time will tell if we will have a squad or not .I would rather wait and see than spread boring gossip .

But seriously, i think its good that he trying to set the club up like a championship or premier league club, im sure he realises we dont have the finances of those clubs , but never the less why shouldnt we have good backroon staff a decent ground also,At least with a decent playing surface etc there is no reason we cant at least try to play some decent attractive football instead of hoofball.And im sure having a decent ground and backroom staff mat attract some decent players to the club.

Of Course with money being spent on the RH pitch, tarting up the training ground, Penney coming in with two posts ( Deputy Boss and Scout) where does this leave us as regards money for new players should we ever come out of this poxy embargo.

But seriously, i think its good that he trying to set the club up like a championship or premier league club, im sure he realises we dont have the finances of those clubs , but never the less why shouldnt we have good backroon staff a decent ground also,At least with a decent playing surface etc there is no reason we cant at least try to play some decent attractive football instead of hoofball.And im sure having a decent ground and backroom staff mat attract some decent players to the club.

And of course being paid might help :winking:

Agreed, thats about when the advance wage payment he demanded (allegedly) runs out.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Brown asked for 6 months wages to be paid up front. He arrived in April so you are looking at about October time when that advanded money runs out.

Back