• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United in talks with at least three managerial candidates

I just don’t get the Tilson thing. He’s been out of the pro game for so long now, things have moved on, he won’t have the vital contacts within the game, etc etc. And let’s be honest he only had one successful managerial stint, with us. Lightening rarely strikes twice. He should stay a club legend from the past and not taint his legacy.

Someone saying on Twitter that Maher wasn’t even interviewed. Does anyone know if he even applied or was approached?

I just don’t get the Tilson thing. He’s been out of the pro game for so long now, things have moved on, he won’t have the vital contacts within the game, etc etc. And let’s be honest he only had one successful managerial stint, with us. Lightening rarely strikes twice. He should stay a club legend from the past and not taint his legacy.

Couldn't agree more, the game past him by years ago, probably has minimal contacts now as well!

Hearing ex player interviews, they said he was an old fashioned manager back in the day and the game left him behind regarding tactics/sports science etc.

However, he had respect and a great man manager who let the squad do the talking as a group and get on with it. With our current squad, that would be a disaster!!!

Would love him to be associated with the club BUT not as the 1st team manager/coach.

In each case the offer will be a management team- not just the individual...

Someone saying on Twitter that Maher wasn’t even interviewed. Does anyone know if he even applied or was approached?
It’s funny isn’t it as a few weeks ago he was favourite and was being endorsed by Coughlan. Perhaps he’s just happy at Rovers or perhaps Rovers just denied permission for him to open talks with us? He’s hardly mentioned now.

Yes, I noticed that - find it quite surprising if so.

I get the impression he has just assumed Maher hasn’t been interviewed. I think we haven’t approached him or he hasn’t applied.

May explain why maher left in the first place. Might have known ron wouldnt take him seriously for a higher role.
As much as i appreciate kev as an sufc legend for some reason i dont think it would work this time round and the fans would turn quickly.

I'll be honest I just want someone/anyone to be announced as manager now....!!!

The seasons only 6 weeks away, no training start date, no friendlies, no transfers, we are getting left behind (again!)

Reactions: GBJ

I get your point, but it's a bit harsh.

That one successful period included a double promotion, a division title and famous cup runs.

He was let down when " I can do no Ron" failed to pay the players for about 3 months running and sold off certain individuals.

When Tilly took over we were staring at the conference and playing in front of 3.5k

Part of the reason we have such good support now is that period under Tilly brought many a stay away fan back.

Although I agree that Tilly probably isn't the answer, I certainly wouldn't tar him as a one trick pony.

He gave us great service as a player and as a manger and if he got the job again, Id certainly get behind him.

Back