• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United opt to extend contact of captain Timothee Dieng

Wow, wasn't expecting that - as much as the timing as anything.

I wonder if there was a date (ie 1st April) that they had to exercise the extension by?

Sol has been getting the best play we have seen from Tim during his time with us.
It is an interesting decision and one that I am neither for or against.

I am pleased that decisions are being made.

He’s had some shockers in the past , but as largely performed well for Sol , so in that sense I can understand why the decision was made.

I know that we shouldn't get carried away and wildly speculate.

But, does this mean that Ron has sorted out the funding for this and next season then?, if so we could somehow be one of the clubs in the best financial position in whatever league we are in next season

Happy enough with this. Vastly improved under Sol and has looked decent playing at the back. An experienced pro to help the young lads we’ve got coming through as well.

Does mean that Ron has found some finance?

Or does it mean Ron knows full well we wont be signing anyone better before next season.

Mantom is not on the list to be retained but works harder than Dieng at CM. Sol has improved him at CB but there is still work to be done.

Me personally I never took to Dieng as he never fancied it. I don't just mean 50/50 tackles, I just see someone who was coasting at CM. Never like playing with or watching those sort of players no matter what their position.

Having said all that and in fairness to TD. He has been another player who has 'emerged' after the big shots have been given the boot. If he brings out the young guns and as he is captain he must have the right qualities......Then I will be the first to forgive him as our future......More so than ever, now lies with our young lads....Worrying times yes but also a lot to look forward to.....Most of you just don't know it yet.

Great potential at CB- young enough that he will only get better. And in Sol and Hermann you would think you are going to get that improvement.

Great potential at CB- young enough that he will only get better. And in Sol and Hermann you would think you are going to get that improvement.

He's 28 next week!

I think at that age he is what he is - and that's not a problem - we just shouldn't be banking on him being anything he hasn't already shown.

Hopefully in a year's time Miles Mitchell-Nelson - someone who should hopefully grow substantially under the tutelage of Sol and Hermann - will be banging on the door of being a first team regular alongside Vassell.

This is good news. I think he's played very well at centre back for us.

He’s played better than those before him, which given the law of averages was always likely. in central midfield he is one of the worst players we’ve had in recent years.
Next season we will either be in league one, in which case he isn’t good enough. Or we will be in league two - last time we were there I remember centre halves like Barker, Barrett, Phillips, Prosser, Thompson, Bolger - and I rate them all above Dieng.
However I also trust Campbell’s judgement - He’s clearly got the Dieng down as one he can trust, and he’s the boss, so we go with it.

Back