• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United U23s and U18s news

With U21's at an advantage as not counting towards the first team squad limit - I'm not sure I see much point of the U23's. The U21's might get first team opportunities ahead of the U23's. Anyone give any positives for the U23's?

We don't have separate U23s and U21s squads; it's the same thing. All of yesterday's squad, with the exception of Harry Phillips, were U21s, but in any case in the (very small number of) competitive fixtures, a limited number of over-age players are permitted to play.

We don't have separate U23s and U21s squads; it's the same thing. All of yesterday's squad, with the exception of Harry Phillips, were U21s, but in any case in the (very small number of) competitive fixtures, a limited number of over-age players are permitted to play.

Whither Harry Seadon?

I guess expand out to having players that are aged between 21 and 23 that aren't in your first team squad then. We have quite a few of those don't we?

I guess expand out to having players that are aged between 21 and 23 that aren't in your first team squad then. We have quite a few of those don't we?

Phillips is the only one, really, currently; maybe Tom Clifford, too. Kyprianou would've fallen into that bracket, but as he's 24 next month, I'm not sure he'd count in the U23s bracket. Elvis is in there, but he's a first-teamer now.

The general point is correct, though. The U23s set-up is there to catch players who might develop at a different pace; the best example in the current squad is Clifford. Whereas the likes of Charlie Kelman and Dru Yearwood were able to step into the senior squad whilst young enough to represent the youth team, Tom didn't get that opportunity.

We won't how Tom would've performed had he been given a chance at 18, but having an U23s squad has enabled him to continue his development post-scholarship, go out on loan to Bishop's Stortford and Concord Rangers to gain experience in senior football, and he's now been introduced primarily as a 21-year-old to the first-team and has out-performed two more experienced left-backs in Ralph and Hart this season. Without the U23s, he would probably have been released, joined another club's U23s or gone into non-league football.

Phillips is the only one, really, currently; maybe Tom Clifford, too. Kyprianou would've fallen into that bracket, but as he's 24 next month, I'm not sure he'd count in the U23s bracket. Elvis is in there, but he's a first-teamer now.

The general point is correct, though. The U23s set-up is there to catch players who might develop at a different pace; the best example in the current squad is Clifford. Whereas the likes of Charlie Kelman and Dru Yearwood were able to step into the senior squad whilst young enough to represent the youth team, Tom didn't get that opportunity.

We won't how Tom would've performed had he been given a chance at 18, but having an U23s squad has enabled him to continue his development post-scholarship, go out on loan to Bishop's Stortford and Concord Rangers to gain experience in senior football, and he's now been introduced primarily as a 21-year-old to the first-team and has out-performed two more experienced left-backs in Ralph and Hart this season. Without the U23s, he would probably have been released, joined another club's U23s or gone into non-league football.

I think Clifford qualifies as an under 21, so doesn't take up a first team squad place, so not sure that is a good example. I can see the benefit of having players under the age of 21 (as at the cut off date) who maybe aren't good enough for a regular spot in the first team. If needed in an emergency you can play them and not take up a first team squad spot. It's the players that are over 21 and not in the first team squad that I struggle to see the benefit of - you can't use them as cover as you'd need space to name them in your first team squad.

Seems a bit odd to have U23's football, and then the first team squad cut-off at 21 - doesn't seem like the rules, and the practicalities are joined up.

I think Clifford qualifies as an under 21, so doesn't take up a first team squad place, so not sure that is a good example. I can see the benefit of having players under the age of 21 (as at the cut off date) who maybe aren't good enough for a regular spot in the first team. If needed in an emergency you can play them and not take up a first team squad spot. It's the players that are over 21 and not in the first team squad that I struggle to see the benefit of - you can't use them as cover as you'd need space to name them in your first team squad.

Seems a bit odd to have U23's football, and then the first team squad cut-off at 21 - doesn't seem like the rules, and the practicalities are joined up.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't consider that it's really an issue. I'd agree with you in that I don't think there's an obvious additional benefit to operating as U23s rather than U21s.

It's just a name and, as already established, the majority of players in the squad are U21s anyway. Some other clubs refer to the teams as U21s, so it might be that there's a rebranding moving forwards anyway, but I believe the clubs at Category One and Category Two (playing in Premier League 2 or the Professional Development League) are branded as U23s and this just falls in line with that.

U18's line up thus....https://twitter.com/SUFCYouth/status/1370683381801906181?s=20

1615633653670.png

U23's 1615640439431.png

#BluesU23s vs Dorking Wanderers: Andeng Ndi, Chandler, Mitchell-Nelson, Wallace, Osmieh, Phillips, Stewart, Benton, Eastwood, Rush, Kinali. Subs: Balogun, K Coker, Brown, Mpenga, Martin, O Coker

Last edited:
I believe that the U23's played a friendly against Cambridge Utd yesterday, anyone know the score and scorers?.

Back