• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend United U23s and U18s news

Nice idea OBL. He is more likely to lead our promotion charge from the National League next season I think.

Not really seen him play? What’s sort of player is he? Kelman...

Sounds like one for the future, but also mindful that both Acquah and Rush have been prolific in the academy sides and not been able to translate that to goals in the 1st team.

Well he doesn't play or score regularly for the u23s yet - so way off the first team I'm my opinion. Hows his goal scoring record compared to that of Rush and Kelman?

Well he doesn't play or score regularly for the u23s yet - so way off the first team I'm my opinion. Hows his goal scoring record compared to that of Rush and Kelman?

I agree with this. Although Kenny Coker has appeared as a substitute for the first-team on a few occasions, and he has some raw attributes that mean he could be a real talent in the future, I wouldn't say he's necessarily ready for senior football yet. Tayo Adedoja, who is the same age, has featured far more regularly for the U23s this season, but they are different types of players.

On goalscoring records for the U18s, although I don't think they are necessarily helpful in determining whether a player is ready or not to play first-team football:
Kenny Coker: 11 goals in 18 starts (plus 11 sub appearances)
Charlie Kelman: 20 goals in 23 starts (plus 8 sub appearances)
Matt Rush: 29 goals in 60 starts (plus 8 sub appearances)
Emile Acquah: 36 goals in 43 starts (plus 11 sub appearances)
Norman Wabo: 30 goals in 48 starts (plus 20 sub appearances)

I agree with this. Although Kenny Coker has appeared as a substitute for the first-team on a few occasions, and he has some raw attributes that mean he could be a real talent in the future, I wouldn't say he's necessarily ready for senior football yet. Tayo Adedoja, who is the same age, has featured far more regularly for the U23s this season, but they are different types of players.

On goalscoring records for the U18s, although I don't think they are necessarily helpful in determining whether a player is ready or not to play first-team football:
Kenny Coker: 11 goals in 18 starts (plus 11 sub appearances)
Charlie Kelman: 20 goals in 23 starts (plus 8 sub appearances)
Matt Rush: 29 goals in 60 starts (plus 8 sub appearances)
Emile Acquah: 36 goals in 43 starts (plus 11 sub appearances)
Norman Wabo: 30 goals in 48 starts (plus 20 sub appearances)

Who's this Emile Acquah guy? He sounds good.

Not really seen him play? What’s sort of player is he? Kelman...

Sounds like one for the future, but also mindful that both Acquah and Rush have been prolific in the academy sides and not been able to translate that to goals in the 1st team.

This was one of his goals from Saturday

He's a talented player but he's not as good as Acquah yet. The gap between youth football and first team football is huge. There's a gap between u23s and youths he's yet to bridge but he's still young (he looks older than he is).

Did the Under 23's play in a League this year and if so does anyone know where they finished ?

Did the Under 23's play in a League this year and if so does anyone know where they finished ?

No. There was no southern section of the Central League this season. There was a three-team group stage of the Central League Cup including ourselves, AFC Bournemouth and Oxford; we lost three and won one of the four fixtures and finished bottom of the group.

Many Category Three Academy clubs in the area seem to have preferred - possibly pandemic-related, although the trend has been this way in any case in recent seasons - not to compete in a league structure and arrange ad hoc friendlies against other Category Three Academies or those higher up the EPPP structure.

Back