• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Bolton Wanderers, Saturday 20th February, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 88 83.8%
  • John White

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 93 88.6%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 91 86.7%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 10 9.5%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 80 76.2%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 79.0%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 51 48.6%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 21 20.0%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 78 74.3%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 90 85.7%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • Greg Halford

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • Nile Ranger

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Louis Walsh

• Rob Howard

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Michael Klass

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Harry Seaden

• Win

Votes: 48 45.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • Lose

Votes: 10 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Screenshot 2021-02-17 at 13.35.10.png

If Southend fans are thinking that our current league position is somewhat below our rightful place in the pecking order, then that is nothing compared to how Bolton fans must be feeling - 4 times winners of the FA Cup, in the Premiership less than 10 years ago and with a beautiful new stadium with a 28,000 capacity. However, like us, they were relegated to the fourth tier last season and are making a better fist of life at this level than the blues having poached manager Ian Evatt from another team new to League 2 this season, albeit joining from the other direction.

Evatt has been moaning like mad since their rearranged game at Mansfield was switched to Wednesday night, due to Mansfield's game against Colchester last week being switched to the Sunday. Obviously it gave them one extra day to prepare for the Mansfield game than their opponents but instead of focusing on the positives, Mr Evatt is whinging about how it gives them a day less to prepare for their trip to Roots Hall. Which brings to mind the words of the Sergeant Major played by Windsor Davies in It Ain't Half Hot Mum!

windsor davies.jpg

Anyway, after a couple of promising games away from home against two sides up the top of the table, which included two clean sheets, it's a return to Roots Hall and hopefully time to put to bed the ghosts of those previous three home games that all ended in defeat. It's probably a bit early for team news, but there are strong rumours from usually reliable sources that Messrs. Ranger and Holmes might be available to augment our attack, an instagram story showed Mellis driving Ranger to training so he must be nearly fit too, and Goodship and Hart were back on the bench last Saturday, so they're back as well. I'm not sure about the other walking wounded like Olayinka, Macca and Egbri but, long term injuries aside, we're nearly back to a full squad and from last Saturday's programme it's a pretty big one too. So, usual drill, predicted starting XI and result.

Think he will start with the same as Cambridge but will swap out Taylor for Demi. It’s who is on the subs bench that will make this game one to watch

This is good opportunity for blues to get 3 points,bolton should be knackerd after playing wednesday and we can take full advantage with our recent good form and hopfully see what mellis has to offer.

I'm going for 4-2-3-1, with Acqua the focal point up top and Akinola playing slightly deeper (feel he's better facing goal, rather than playing with his back to it).

I think it’s the same side as last Saturday at Cambridge, hopefully with Holmes, Rangers or Jay Simpson on the bench if they sign.

Saturday's squad could now look a lot different.

To think that we could barely get 5 out of 7 subs on the bench at one point in the season, to now having Holmes, Ranger, Mellis and Goodship, shows what MM had to deal with! People forget about that. We literally had nothing to choose from.

From this Saturday onwards, no excuses. He has assembled his squad now. Over to you Mark.

I still think we will start with the same team on Saturday but will bring those options off of the bench.

Saturday's squad could now look a lot different.

To think that we could barely get 5 out of 7 subs on the bench at one point in the season, to now having Holmes, Ranger, Mellis and Goodship, shows what MM had to deal with! People forget about that. We literally had nothing to choose from.

From this Saturday onwards, no excuses. He has assembled his squad now. Over to you Mark.

I still think we will start with the same team on Saturday but will bring those options off of the bench.

And you were doing so well until you mentioned Goodship ?

And you were doing so well until you mentioned Goodship ?

?

Whilst I acknowledge he isn't the player everyone is calling for, the point was very much aimed at the fact we didn't even have him to call upon at one point, just a load of youths. He at least has scored a load in his career. He has never played in a decent Southend side. Whilst we had a few better individuals over the last year or so, the squad right now is probably the best it's been. That says a lot when we are bottom of the football league ?‍♂️.

Hopefully with better players he can find some form. Wishful thinking I know!

Now that the Ricky Holmes signing has been announced, I wonder if a few will change their votes for the starting line up?

I can't decide whether it's best to bring on Ricky with 20 minutes to go or whether to start him and bring on fresher younger legs at the end.

I must admit I quite like the idea of having old heads on to manage the game towards the end if we're hanging on, but looking at Holmes' quality from dead balls and technique to hit from distance I think I'd quite like him to give us the lead and then go off.

I watched the Mansfield Bolton match last evening(As SZ Armchair scout) and thought that Mansfield had a few good players including,Macca by the way, survived a few scares and battled into a two goal lead.
Their game had upped a lot since our recent visit there.

But then Bolton just stepped up a gear, in the last quarter, and like a flock of crows on a stubble field(Mansfield pitch) popped in three goals and walked away with three points.

I thought then that even at half pace they would brush us aside on Saturday as we no one capable of getting past Santos and Baptiste and their forward line needs no intro.

But with todays official announcements of new and rehabilitated blood I think we can now give them perhaps more than a run for their money and even a hiding as some team is now due one from us!

Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Clifford
Ferguson Demi
ANG Holmes Akinola
Ranger

Hard on Dieng who I might put in for Demi

I would expect 60 min from Holmes and Ranger
With the 5 subs i would rather go from the start.

I watched the Mansfield Bolton match last evening(As SZ Armchair scout) and thought that Mansfield had a few good players including,Macca by the way, survived a few scares and battled into a two goal lead.
Their game had upped a lot since our recent visit there.

But then Bolton just stepped up a gear, in the last quarter, and like a flock of crows on a stubble field(Mansfield pitch) popped in three goals and walked away with three points.

I thought then that even at half pace they would brush us aside on Saturday as we no one capable of getting past Santos and Baptiste and their forward line needs no intro.

But with todays official announcements of new and rehabilitated blood I think we can now give them perhaps more than a run for their money and even a hiding as some team is now due one from us!

Thanks for the review.
According to BBC stats it said that apart from the goals ( which are of course a big thing ) , Bolton has no shots on target.
Is that how you saw it ?
Were they lacking in attacking threat ?

Oxley
Ferguson Mellis
ANG Holmes Akinola
Ranger

Or

Oxley
ANG Holmes Taylor
Ranger Acquah Akinola

?

Whilst I acknowledge he isn't the player everyone is calling for, the point was very much aimed at the fact we didn't even have him to call upon at one point, just a load of youths. He at least has scored a load in his career. He has never played in a decent Southend side. Whilst we had a few better individuals over the last year or so, the squad right now is probably the best it's been. That says a lot when we are bottom of the football league ?‍♂️.

Hopefully with better players he can find some form. Wishful thinking I know!

The thing is, IMO a decent player would/should stand out in a poor side. Goodship looked as poor as everyone else, and they should at least be putting themselves about - he did neither, so there is nothing to suggest he's going to perform better, just because we have better players around him.

I hope I'm proved wrong; nothing would please me more to see him score 10 goals between now and the end of the season (as it will help our survival), but I just can't see it.

4231 formation.

Oxley
Elvis white Hobson Clifford
Dieng Ferguson
Ang holmes akinola
Ranger

That team doesn't look to bad on paper. I like the idea of Holmes in that number 10 role, should be able to get some assist + goals. MM has options at his disposal.

Last edited:
We have signed them, they are being paid, they need to play and perform well to earn the bucks and another contract?
So........

Settled back again, keep it tight.
Ox
Elvis, JW, Hobson, Clifford.................

Easy so far

Ferguson, Taylor, Macca....... for a tough midfield, maybe Timmy Dieng instead of one?

Akinola, Holmes
Ranger.

a 4 3 2 1.

I think this is harsh on the likes of ANG and Emile who had good games of late but they need to be sharp from bench then.

We have 5 subs to use?
The refs won't take nonsense this weekend and will be laying it down for gobbing it off especially.

Back