• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No doubt some of us will get the usual verbal abuse as we walk past the Gills fans standing outside the Blue Boar later. I don't think they've forgiven us since we invaded their town and took their North Bank in 1972.

Ticket sales seem slightly dissapointing for a bank holiday clash against the medway rats.

Just 6500 home tickets sold. I'm sure the Gills will bring around 1500 though. I would have thought that 9-10k would have been on the cards but looking more like 8500 odd.

Both teams playing for nothing and hardly setting the world alight.

Win today to guarantee safety for either side.

Agreed,but ironically Phil Brown played him at left back once, possibly twice, ahead of Hendrie. Now that was bizarre.

Very bizarre yes but not quite as bizarre as making Timlin try to play there.

That was at Shrewsbury and to keep Elvis at right back after he had 3 good games in a row. Hendrie had forgotten that football is a contact sport. Our back line played very well that night, including Demi at LB but as proved to be the case all season we never took one of our easy chances away from home.

May as well just move the game to the mud flats. Will be a shambles on that "pitch" :thumbdown:

That was at Shrewsbury and to keep Elvis at right back after he had 3 good games in a row. Hendrie had forgotten that football is a contact sport. Our back line played very well that night, including Demi at LB but as proved to be the case all season we never took one of our easy chances away from home.

.........and we weren't awarded a nailed on penalty when Timlin was hauled down in the box early in the second half.........

May as well just move the game to the mud flats. Will be a shambles on that "pitch" :thumbdown:

There could be some skating on mud today. I've always found it strange that some players keep slipping and sliding in these conditions, and others seem to have bottom of boot studs that stop this. You would think they would all be wearing the right studs for the conditions, especially as a slip at the back could cost a goal.

There could be some skating on mud today. I've always found it strange that some players keep slipping and sliding in these conditions, and others seem to have bottom of boot studs that stop this. You would think they would all be wearing the right studs for the conditions.

According to Josh Wright the standing foot slips (he wasn't using it as an excuse) as the pitch has never rooted properly. We have had opposition goal keepers even slipping whilst taking goal kicks.

A few times Oxley has been given a tight back pass you wouldn't want on a pitch like Wembley....Only to slagged on here because the clearance wasn't 70 yds.

Against Wigan and some of the other big boys we played 'percentage' football right from the KO and it certainly proved to be the only tactic that works at RH. Lets hope we don't treat this game like Walsall. In other words start thinking we can sod about and 'grow' into the game without creating a decent chance for the first 20minutes. If we test their keeper early at RH we always play much better.

According to Josh Wright the standing foot slips (he wasn't using it as an excuse) as the pitch has never rooted properly. We have had opposition goal keepers even slipping whilst taking goal kicks.

A few times Oxley has been given a tight back pass you wouldn't want on a pitch like Wembley....Only to slagged on here because the clearance wasn't 70 yds.

Against Wigan and some of the other big boys we played 'percentage' football right from the KO and it certainly proved to be the only tactic that works at RH. Lets hope we don't treat this game like Walsall. In other words start thinking we can sod about and 'grow' into the game without creating a decent chance for the first 20minutes. If we test their keeper early at RH we always play much better.

I wasn't only talking about the Roots Hall pitch as it is. Down the years I've seen many a player slip and slide even when the pitch was great and well rooted, but wet and slippery conditions on top due to rain. I've seen players change boots on the sidelines during a match. I just wondered why they all don't start off the game with the correct studs for slippery conditions.

Like everyone else I agree the pitch is very bad, yet I note the club are advertising pitch hire. This seems wholly wrong when the groundsman needs enough time after the season is finished to get the pitch ready for next season. It seems very odd to me

I wasn't only talking about the Roots Hall pitch as it is. Down the years I've seen many a player slip and slide even when the pitch was great and well rooted, but wet and slippery conditions on top due to rain. I've seen players change boots on the sidelines during a match. I just wondered why they all don't start off the game with the correct studs for slippery conditions.

Not sure their is any science to it, probably just bad workmen blaming their tools. Can't say I ever change my boots 20 minutes into a Sunday league game. Chucked up after 10 minutes a couple of times but stayed on and never changed boots.

I hope we play. We need this quick turnaround following Friday's thrashing. Plymouth were too good for us, but Gillingham should not be. A win today ensures our status next season and SCP can then properly plan, giving our kids a chance - call Norman back, Chris.

Ho ho ho......I was there.....a "hard as nails" 11 year old at the time.....:unsure:

Well, as said many times, it was different times. No internet, no social media, no X-Box or games consoles(apart from plug in the TV pong table tennis). So bursting with spots and energy, and boredom with only 3 TV channels, a Friday night or Saturday adventure following Southend was very much looked forward to, even if crazy things happened.

No doubt some of us will get the usual verbal abuse as we walk past the Gills fans standing outside the Blue Boar later. I don't think they've forgiven us since we invaded their town and took their North Bank in 1972.
Like a lot of away clubs that season .

Back