• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A long, long time ago, I played for Trojans at Cricket (Victory Sports Ground and later at Rochford rugby club) and Monarch Sports at football. I simply assumed that almost 50 years later both had vanished from the planet. It's lovely to see that in fact at some point since the 60's, they were all rolled up and merged with each other

You'll know Peter Coste and Kevin Grant, then.

Yep, Monarchs CC merged with Trojans CC who then merged with Southend-on-Sea CC.

We're hoping there's another merger with Old Southendians CC, so they can have the longest name in cricket history! :cool:

When I started playing Cricket, Clubs such as Chapmanslord, Ovalwell Marine and Saracens existed in the area. Monarchs Cricket Club I am sure joined forces with Ekco before becoming Ekco Monarchs Trojans and then they were joined by Southend. Old Southendians merged with Southchurch Cricket Club to become Old Southendians and Southchurch C.C. Sad that so many Clubs have disappeared. Cricket isn't what it used to be !

Yep, you're right, regarding Ekco and Monarchs merging. Of course, they merged before merging with Trojans CC.

Trying to remember the name of the fella who ran Monarchs CC. Bob someone or other, I'm sure?

You'll know Peter Coste and Kevin Grant, then.

Yep, Monarchs CC merged with Trojans CC who then merged with Southend-on-Sea CC.

We're hoping there's another merger with Old Southendians CC, so they can have the longest name in cricket history! :cool:

Kevin and his dad Ken are both remembered well. Ken was about 4 feet high as far as I recall! I remember faces as much as names but Malcolm Saggers? seems to ring a bell somewhere.

Yep, the Saggers family and the Vann's of course. Graham Winn and the like.

For a long while, Trojans CC were a really top team, until they started to break up, I think Costey got a bad injury and Kev went to Hadleigh & Thundersley to play Color Assembly Cricket for a while.

Was it Bob Meen ?
There was also Bobby Vann ?
Long time now

I think there were 3 members of the Vann family playing back in the day. I remember the second team captain kept wicket, was probably in his early 40's and a real stickler for the spirit of the game. I can't remember the old lads name though, as you say DistantBlue, it was a long time ago.

I think there were 3 members of the Vann family playing back in the day. I remember the second team captain kept wicket, was probably in his early 40's and a real stickler for the spirit of the game. I can't remember the old lads name though, as you say DistantBlue, it was a long time ago.

Gary Vann is the only one I knew particularly well, but as 'Distant' says, there was a Bobby Vann, too.

Bobby Vann sounds like some 1950's singer!

Yep, you're right, regarding Ekco and Monarchs merging. Of course, they merged before merging with Trojans CC.

Trying to remember the name of the fella who ran Monarchs CC. Bob someone or other, I'm sure?

Are you sure Bob someone didn't merge with Bob other.

Ovalwell Marine, Saracens and, IIRC, SMAC's joined forces and ended up merging with the amalgamated Leigh Belfairs/Leigh St Clement's into Eastwood CC at the end of the 1978 season. Not sure what became of Chapmanslord, played against them for Eastwood for a few years and then they seemed to disappear, I seem to recall a couple of their players joined Eastwood and I saw one or two at Leigh CC so I presume they folded.

When I joined Eastwood in 1981? I well remember there being Ovalwell Marine and Saracen's pads bats, etc, in the club kit bag. That's another topic, every player today seems to come complete with a 'coffin' filled to the gunnels with every imaginable bit of kit known to man. Back in the day we just turned up with boots and whites and the boots our fast bowler wore were held together with various bits of tape, sticking plaster, tightly wound string and glue! The club had everything else; I was looked upon as a bit odd when, as a wicketkeeper/batsman, I bought my own gloves and a year or so later my own bat! With eleven 'coffins' in a dressing room no wonder there's no bloody room anymore!!!

Chapmanslord disbanded probably early 90's. I may have this wrong but I am fairly sure that Gary Lockett played at least some games for them. You are right when I started lowest score had to pack the club bag. Played a lot of matches against Bobby Vann not so many against Gary.

Just a friendly reminder for people. Weather looks like it should be okay

Back