• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have a great evening everyone, played in this one myself in the dim past! I was stumped Spud Taylor, bowled A Rowley, 0.. Happy Days.

SOSEMTCC 159 of 20 overs. SUFC 142 of 20 overs. Think both teams lost 7 wickets. Simon Cox topped score with 35 (if I ve remembered correctly).
Good turnout of players although quite a few had left before the end.
Some of Blues bowling was a bit erratic - Hendrie and Fortune especially - literally chucking it!
But a good fun match - the rain just held off!

A tremendous "beer" match with some very charitable fielding from both sides. Also some very selective umpiring to ensure the scores were close. Having said that, well done to both sides for what they put on. It just goes to show how difficult it can be to play another sport, no matter how talented you are.

Full marks to Phil Brown for being wicket keeper and batting. Also for staying behind and signing autographs and letting youngsters have selfies with him. A top bloke, thank you for what you have done.

As others have said, a good, fun evening played in good spirit - great ales on offer and a BBQ too. It did get bloomin' cold though!

Our team was made up of Phil, Cocko, Lee Harrison (GK coach), Cox, Fortune, Lenny, Demetriou, Hendrie, Yearwood, Matt from Commercial and two young supporters. Anton, Timlin, Coker, Oxley, Ted, McLaughlin, White all in attendance.

I say again, would a player about to move to Sheffield United have been there, and not only there, but playing as well? He and Cox the only of the team to have clearly had a good bit of experience with cricket, though Demi did ok. Phil top scored for us. Yearwood was funny!

Ovalwell Marine, Saracens and, IIRC, SMAC's joined forces and ended up merging with the amalgamated Leigh Belfairs/Leigh St Clement's into Eastwood CC at the end of the 1978 season. Not sure what became of Chapmanslord, played against them for Eastwood for a few years and then they seemed to disappear, I seem to recall a couple of their players joined Eastwood and I saw one or two at Leigh CC so I presume they folded.

When I joined Eastwood in 1981? I well remember there being Ovalwell Marine and Saracen's pads bats, etc, in the club kit bag. That's another topic, every player today seems to come complete with a 'coffin' filled to the gunnels with every imaginable bit of kit known to man. Back in the day we just turned up with boots and whites and the boots our fast bowler wore were held together with various bits of tape, sticking plaster, tightly wound string and glue! The club had everything else; I was looked upon as a bit odd when, as a wicketkeeper/batsman, I bought my own gloves and a year or so later my own bat! With eleven 'coffins' in a dressing room no wonder there's no bloody room anymore!!!

Ovalwell Marine was the result of a merger between Leigh Ovalwell and Marine, who both had different home pitches and pavilions at Belfairs.

Any ex Leigh Ovalwell players on here?

Did many people turn up to watch?

Quite a few it seems

DFrFgmHW0AE1Ykh.jpg

Cheeky RHB, that was clearly before things started! There was quite a good crowd, regulars at the cricket club were impressed with the numbers.

Back