• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

To be honest I think the first thing we should worry about is ourselves and getting a settled line-up in place early on in the season (obviously injuries and suspensions can hamper this). Brown's problem IMO is that he worries too much about the oppositions strengths and thinks too much into how we can stop them. Instead of focusing on our strengths and how we can cause them problems. It would be nice to see us take the game to a team at home, we did this last season but the other teams defended and we were unable to break them down on many occasions. This season I expect teams to come to Roots Hall knowing they can get the 3 points so we should see more entertaining and open games. Hopefully last week was just a blip. To be fair we started the game well and could have scored in the opening minutes, but, finishing let us down. Saying all this, I'd take a point tomorrow. 1-1 for me.

With all the talk about one up front it brings into sharp focus what, if anything, was said by PB to Mooney and Pigott about the role which tbey would be expected to play when be was trying to persuade them to sign. It must have been a topic for discussion surely? If reports are true then the style which Cambridge intended to play was an important factor in our former striker's decision to join them.(Of course the money talked very loudly too) So did Mooney and Pigott sign knowing full well what would be expected of them? In JP's case he had last season as a lesson. If so then they can hardly complain now. Perhaps PB said that his midfielders would provide all the support the strikers would need to score goals. At all events what passes between target and manager is something which I have puzzled over.

To be honest I think the first thing we should worry about is ourselves and getting a settled line-up in place early on in the season (obviously injuries and suspensions can hamper this). Brown's problem IMO is that he worries too much about the oppositions strengths and thinks too much into how we can stop them. Instead of focusing on our strengths and how we can cause them problems. It would be nice to see us take the game to a team at home, we did this last season but the other teams defended and we were unable to break them down on many occasions. This season I expect teams to come to Roots Hall knowing they can get the 3 points so we should see more entertaining and open games. Hopefully last week was just a blip. To be fair we started the game well and could have scored in the opening minutes, but, finishing let us down. Saying all this, I'd take a point tomorrow. 1-1 for me.

What he said ............ who knows Swindon may be over confident and all teams (except the mighty Preston of course) have to lose at some point.

I still expect to see the 4-5-1 but with Wordsworth and Wozza this could be a more balanced side.

Stopped reading as soon as I read " Southend manager Phil Brown is hoping to recover Cian Bolger in time for the game as his side look for their first win of the season, with the Irish centre-half doubtful due to a shoulder problem."

Yep, me too.

P.s. I really wish we'd wear navy socks at home. Don't like the Chelsea-esque way of wearing white socks with blue shirt and shorts, looks silly. Seeing pictures from the Donny game, the all navy looks much better / smarter :thumbsup:

Is it something to do with the players being able to pick out their teammates easier as the white socks stand out more, something that will be eradicated come the winter. Remember the cup game against Millwall, players socks were brown by the end.

Last season we did, we had Corr, he was perfect as he could actually win the ball and help build attacks from. Dont confuse not scoring as a lone striker to not being able to play the role. Unforutnately we dont have anyone who can do what he did.

Thats why I said if he does play one up front at home it has to be with Payne or Wordsworth up behind the striker. Youd then have Worrall and Hurst/Weston out wide to support them as well. Still wont win much physically but if we dont hoof it at them every chance and play it on the deck it might work.

Did we really though? we spent a large chunk of the season playing one up front with fans moaning about it and Corr didnt really start hitting the net until we gave him the support he needed. Both him and Piggott expressed their personal disappointment of playing that way. Im not saying it cant work, but you need the right personnel for it to work. This is where the problem is at present, as i dont think Hunt for sure, Monney or Piggott suit that role

Did we really though? we spent a large chunk of the season playing one up front with fans moaning about it and Corr didnt really start hitting the net until we gave him the support he needed. Both him and Piggott expressed their personal disappointment of playing that way. Im not saying it cant work, but you need the right personnel for it to work. This is where the problem is at present, as i dont think Hunt for sure, Monney or Piggott suit that role

Just because fans or players moaned about it doesnt mean it didnt work, we got promoted.

Corr did start hitting the net in 442 because he was then freed up to do so, but we were only still scoring a goal a game when he did. Again, the fact he could score goals doesnt take away the fact he was playing the hold up role well before. He might not like playing that role, but he was still the best person we have had to do so.

Pigott never expressed disappointment about it because he played in a 442 system, so nothing to do with being a lone striker.

Certainly to get the best out of the strikers 442 is the system to go with, but I still see benefits to a 4231 set up, which with an attacking midfielder in the hole is just as attacking for me as long as the others get forward.

Sorry to have to yet again dismiss the 1 upfront myth. From the moment Pigott arrived and started 15 games in a row he ALWAYS had another forward with him. This season at home he had Hunt with him v Brighton and Mooney and Weston against Walsall and we all know how well 3 up front ended up.

451 was definitely the right way at Doncaster and I'm sure we will see more attacking formations at home as we have since January.

Just because fans or players moaned about it doesnt mean it didnt work, we got promoted.

Corr did start hitting the net in 442 because he was then freed up to do so, but we were only still scoring a goal a game when he did. Again, the fact he could score goals doesnt take away the fact he was playing the hold up role well before. He might not like playing that role, but he was still the best person we have had to do so.

Pigott never expressed disappointment about it because he played in a 442 system, so nothing to do with being a lone striker.

Certainly to get the best out of the strikers 442 is the system to go with, but I still see benefits to a 4231 set up, which with an attacking midfielder in the hole is just as attacking for me as long as the others get forward.

Fair points mate

Sorry to have to yet again dismiss the 1 upfront myth. From the moment Pigott arrived and started 15 games in a row he ALWAYS had another forward with him. This season at home he had Hunt with him v Brighton and Mooney and Weston against Walsall and we all know how well 3 up front ended up.

451 was definitely the right way at Doncaster and I'm sure we will see more attacking formations at home as we have
since January.

Think i worded it wrong, what i meant was that Piggott said that he wouldn't want to play that way, as previously mentioned he played in a 442 when he joined and looked decent when with Hunt against Brighton in that formation as well.

Think i worded it wrong, what i meant was that Piggott said that he wouldn't want to play that way, as previously mentioned he played in a 442 when he joined and looked decent when with Hunt against Brighton in that formation as well.

He certainly doesnt like being used as a target man, none of our strikers do.

The more we hit hopeful balls at them the less effective all of them will be. We need to find that cutting edge in the final third to give them the ball in a manner they can use it, whether they are a lone striker or part of a duo.

He certainly doesnt like being used as a target man, none of our strikers do.

The more we hit hopeful balls at them the less effective all of them will be. We need to find that cutting edge in the final third to give them the ball in a manner they can use it, whether they are a lone striker or part of a duo.

Dont you think that PB should have worked it out by now though? its not like we have got 9 new players in this summer. The squad has barely changed, yet it appears that PB is still uncertain of quite which formation works best or how to be more clinical in the final third. We all knew this league will be tough and improvements needed, but it needs to be managed correctly. Still not sure that PB has got it right or knows how to get it right in the final third. Certainly his transfer business in terms of forward players doesnt seem as good as his defensive signings.

I'm going to throw it out there and say if Hunt isn't fit to be in the squad why not put Williams on the bench? Offers another option.

Who do you drop from the bench?

All depends we may have no need too, if the defender doesn't come in we have a spare slot. I would say as its a home game Deegan as we have plenty of options for midfield,

Back