• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United v Tranmere Rovers, Tuesday 9th March, 19:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• James Montgomery

Votes: 85 88.5%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 81 84.4%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 74 77.1%
  • John White

Votes: 82 85.4%
  • Tyler Cordner

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Tom Clifford

Votes: 84 87.5%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Timothee Dieng

Votes: 79 82.3%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 83 86.5%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Jacob Mellis

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 27 28.1%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 62 64.6%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • Emile Acquah

Votes: 62 64.6%
  • Ricky Holmes

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • Brandon Goodship

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • Greg Halford

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Olayinka

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Win

Votes: 36 37.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Lose

Votes: 17 17.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From the last game against Tranmere, their CBs dominated in the air but were rather slow. However, George Ray has partnered Clarke for the last few games and he isn't tall for a CB (1.78m). If we were to play Acquah, I'd hope he tries to stick to him and make it challenge him rather than Clarke.

I'd try something different this game.

Montgomery
Bwomono White Cordner Clifford
ANG Dieng Ferguson Holmes
RHF Acquah
When in possession, have Acquah pushing up on Ray and RHF supporting either behind or making runs in beyond Acquah onto the goal. Clarke is 39 years old, he was great in the air against us but have RHF running at him to expose his lack of speed.

Out of possession, RHF will drop into midfield, slightly ahead of Dieng and Ferguson to make more of a 4-4-1-1. White and Cordner have been great in defence together the last few games and we should try to keep that going.

Only reason I've stuck with Acquah is that he can be the one to push onto the opposition CBs and force them backwards, giving space to RHF. Goodship isn't someone to do this and would be more in the role of playing off the target man, so he could come on to replace RHF depends on the scoreline, injury or if RHF is struggling.

Think this has got another 0-0 written all over it. Whatever the starting line up, they still wont find the net. I hope im proved wrong and if so I will fully apologise , which I hope that is the case.

My head tells me that a draw is the best we can hope for. My heart says we will win this. So.......mmm......1-2 to Tranmere.

Either

Elvis Hobson White Clifford
Taylor Ferguson
RHF Dieng Holmes
Acquah

OR

Taylor Ferguson
Holmes Dieng Goodship
RHF

OR

Taylor Dieng Ferguson
RHF Goodship Holmes

Now I don't know if MM thinks RHF could play that up top role. If not I don't know whether he would be aggressive enough to go the full 433 with that front three pretty much interchangeable. That 433 gets the support much closer up front.

I have left Acquah out only because that lone role is hard work and a rest. NOT because I dont rate what he brings because I do. As for Goodship I have never been particularly anti-him but not sure we have ever used him where his strengths lie- he is not a winger in a three, rather a "inside left" in more of a 433. This would probably suit Holmes as well.

I do think defensively we have reached the point where we can put the likes of Goodship and Holmes up in closer support of whoever we play down the middle.

Montgomery a given in goal.

The oldham result definitely frustrated us, the performance not so much as on another day you'd back one of them chances to go in.

Statistically speaking tomorrow should be that day and we are due our goal.

1-0 blues, Reeco the scorer

From the last game against Tranmere, their CBs dominated in the air but were rather slow. However, George Ray has partnered Clarke for the last few games and he isn't tall for a CB (1.78m). If we were to play Acquah, I'd hope he tries to stick to him and make it challenge him rather than Clarke.

I'd try something different this game.

Montgomery
Bwomono White Cordner Clifford
ANG Dieng Ferguson Holmes
RHF Acquah
When in possession, have Acquah pushing up on Ray and RHF supporting either behind or making runs in beyond Acquah onto the goal. Clarke is 39 years old, he was great in the air against us but have RHF running at him to expose his lack of speed.

Out of possession, RHF will drop into midfield, slightly ahead of Dieng and Ferguson to make more of a 4-4-1-1. White and Cordner have been great in defence together the last few games and we should try to keep that going.

Only reason I've stuck with Acquah is that he can be the one to push onto the opposition CBs and force them backwards, giving space to RHF. Goodship isn't someone to do this and would be more in the role of playing off the target man, so he could come on to replace RHF depends on the scoreline, injury or if RHF is struggling.

Acquah's role is less to flick the ball on - nobody is usually close to him, let alone gets beyond him - but to bring it down. Play the ball into his body, let him control it - he has an excellent touch and the strength to hold off defenders - and play it to the on rushing midfielders. So long as we get a decent ref I wouldn't worry about matching him up with Ray - let him match up with Clarke and take the numerous free-kicks that Clarke gives away in dangerous positions

Either

Taylor Ferguson
RHF Dieng Holmes
Acquah

OR

Taylor Ferguson
Holmes Dieng Goodship
RHF

OR

Taylor Dieng Ferguson
RHF Goodship Holmes

Now I don't know if MM thinks RHF could play that up top role. If not I don't know whether he would be aggressive enough to go the full 433 with that front three pretty much interchangeable. That 433 gets the support much closer up front.

I have left Acquah out only because that lone role is hard work and a rest. NOT because I dont rate what he brings because I do. As for Goodship I have never been particularly anti-him but not sure we have ever used him where his strengths lie- he is not a winger in a three, rather a "inside left" in more of a 433. This would probably suit Holmes as well.

I do think defensively we have reached the point where we can put the likes of Goodship and Holmes up in closer support of whoever we play down the middle.

Montgomery a given in goal.

Exactly Option 1, I'd put the mortgage on it, just don't tell the mrs!

Whenever we play Tranmere, my mind drifts back to a Friday night game back in 91(?), where Eric Nixon saved a pen from David Martin in front of the North bank, the kick was ordered to be retaken, which led to the NB giving Nixon heaps of grief. Only problem was that Nixon promptly saved the re-take as well, and gave the NB both barrels back. Think we won 1-0 with Ansah scoring an overhead kick.

The absolute best score we can hope for is a nil-nil.
We will not score.
Unfortunately this has been the case for the season in general yet somehow the same dross formula keeps getting rolled out week after week and we are getting relegated. Surely it would be worth at least trying something revolutionary like 2 actual strikers up top...We need a goal....

Back