• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend United vs Cheltenham Town 17th October 2020 15:00 FL2

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
1602430144029.png

Here we go again, this time at home to Cheltenham Town . They currently hold 4th place in the table with 3 wins and one defeat, so another tough game for our Blue boys. And, as usual, if any Robins fans are looking in then you are very welcome to join the debate. Normal deal on iFollow, season Card holders watch with code, for everyone else its a tenner unless you're an overseas exile and then it's € 8.

It’s the Pre Match thread, you know what to do.

Last edited:
Cheltenham are a footballing team, like Exeter, so they are unlikely to bully us in the way that Morecambe and Harrogate did. This should suit us and I'd like to think that we will get better luck and beat them, but I expect a draw.

Big side who go top if they win tonight against Grimsby and will have best record in league, Huge long throw ins into the box will be a nightmare for us unless the likes of Lennon can stagger on

When does Elvis fly back from Dubai? Will he be ready and fit for Saturday? I read that travellers from UAE don’t need to self isolate, proving they pass a COVID test, so hoping he’ll be available to replace Hobson at RB.

When does Elvis fly back from Dubai? Will he be ready and fit for Saturday? I read that travellers from UAE don’t need to self isolate, proving they pass a COVID test, so hoping he’ll be available to replace Hobson at RB.
This from the Club site:

Bwomono has flown out to Dubai for a 10-day training camp with his country, which starts today and ends on the 13th October, meaning he will be missing for Southend’s next two fixtures against Portsmouth and Exeter City.

The right-back was due to be involved on the international stage back in March having received his first call-up, but the coronavirus pandemic prevented that going ahead.

It's not clear from that whether he returns on the 13th, but either way he should be back in time for Saturday, and as the extract says, he will miss Pompey and Exeter. As to fitness, he's just attended a training camp so he should be raring to go.

The Echo report dated 5th October said that he'll be away for 10 days. If that was exact to the day of publication, he'd be due back on Thursday.

Edit: Ok, @Rootshallbloke answered better above.

If Elvis is available i'd be tempted to put him back in however after Saturday's performance I think everybody deserves to keep their place.

You know we are playing better when the pre match thread comes up this early :)

Total flip of a coin to me result wise, but nice to go in thinking there is a chance we may not get tonked 4 0.

You know we are playing better when the pre match thread comes up this early :)

Total flip of a coin to me result wise, but nice to go in thinking there is a chance we may not get tonked 4 0.
Never a truer word spoken. When we have been stuffed the post match thread runs to 20/30 pages or more. When we have won (however seldom) the post match thread rarely gets beyond 2/3 pages although the Exeter one is an exception.

If Elvis is back he should replace Hobson as the latter is not a right back. Much depends on whether Lennon is off for his Op If so Hobbo and Dieng will continue to acquaint themselves with Clifford at left back if, he is fit? Then we can retain Demi in midfield with the classy Taylor. Egbri did enough to stay with hopefully a fitter Sterling

Is Goodship out?

Again the team selection will depend very much on who’s fit and available but it’s safe to say Elvis will be straight back in at RB. Cheltenham have won their last 4 games with 4 clean sheets (remember those?). Another big test for MM and the team. We will do very well to get something from the game.

Not 100% sure on this but I believe Lennons op involves loosening the calf - releasing tension caused by surrounding tissue or tendons or something similar!. Its tightness is the problem, which although allows him still to play is no doubt an uncomfortable experience either during or after games and training. Its why it can be deferred because he is able to play still, but when done hopefully will make life more comfortable for him to play.
Hes dealing well with it going by performances. However, it was a few weeks ago now I heard this and its from memory so apologies if not completely correct

Reckon he'd take that prognosis and prescription happily
Take a clean sheet once a week until the course is finished (lasts a season). Any further problems go back and see Doc MM.

Tonight it’s Cheltenham v Grimsby.
Do we want a Cheltenham victory , which means they come to us top of L2 and in great form , BUT Grimsby remain below us.

Or , a Cheltenham defeat which means we go back into the bottom two but they come here with of self doubt ? ( or a wounded tiger that kicks our arse )

Let them win I say and keep Grimsby grounded, they can come to us tired, and over confident and we will stuff them like we nearly did to Exeter who were flying high

Back