• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Talking about Newport, I'm struggling to think of ever winning there.

Twice I went in the early 80's. Lost 3-2 and drew 1-1.

Also remember them tanning our backsides 4-1 at our place the season we lost 3-2 there.

Anyway, Col U ;

Same side as Coventry last week, for me.

If 9'500 is sold, it's that include the away fans too, or its 9'500 sold in the home end?

I believe that includes the away fans also, so would expect a crowd of around 10,500 odd come match day.

Think the weather forecast may put some of the last minute minnies off.:scared:

Would give the Arsenal youngster a go instead of Deegan, and we can't play Payne behind 2 strikers, it just don't work. Barnett in for Hunt as it looks like he is injured again. Other than that the same as Coventry will do, withou Kamara getting sent off.

Would give the Arsenal youngster a go instead of Deegan, and we can't play Payne behind 2 strikers, it just don't work. Barnett in for Hunt as it looks like he is injured again. Other than that the same as Coventry will do, withou Kamara getting sent off.

If it were away I think it would be this- think given its home verses a lower half side he will put McQueen in and go a little more attacking

I expect PB to start with Deegs BUT if he (Deegs) gets a yellow, (or Atko, Lenny), then I expect them to be subbed as the risks of a further card must be playing on PB's mind. The ref on the day will know we have had 2 on the spin and be going for a Men in Black hat trick.

Anyone know whether Hunt is fit to start? If he is, would you start him with Barnett, I think I would with Loza on the bench.

Personally , I would prefer to see the 5311 we employed against Coventry, Col U may be struggling but they do have ability in the middle of the park with Gilbey and Moncur and only having Leonard and Atkinson in there will be taking a risk

Play the same side as we did against Coventry, get Deegan to rough up the Col U midfield and then sub him for Kamara at HT if he has been booked, particularly if we are in front.

Anyone know whether Hunt is fit to start? If he is, would you start him with Barnett, I think I would with Loza on the bench.
He tweeted last night that he 'hopes the knock settles for Saturday'. So still might be too early to tell, but has a chance (I'm sure he'll start on the bench even if he's 100% fit though).

Personally , I would prefer to see the 5311 we employed against Coventry, Col U may be struggling but they do have ability in the middle of the park with Gilbey and Moncur and only having Leonard and Atkinson in there will be taking a risk

Play the same side as we did against Coventry, get Deegan to rough up the Col U midfield and then sub him for Kamara at HT if he has been booked, particularly if we are in front.

It will be interesting to see who we play in midfield we have lots of options other than Moncur and Gilbey who I feel are certain to start. We may well give Nicky Shorey his debut in midfield or defence, but there is also Darren Ambrose and Owen Garvan plus Joe Edwards who was captain of Yeovil. I think we will go for experienced players like these for the derby rather than risk some of the younger midfielders coming up through the ranks with only 10-20 1st team games behind them.

I remember it well, a Friday night match in Wales. we got hammered 3-0(and we were lucky to get 0). One thing I will always remember about this match was the crowd of 2,300 going absolutely "NUTS" you would have thought they had won the World Cup & Welsh Cup, not just 2 points. This match was my fifth visit to Newport since we were relegated in the 1965-66 season, our/my record was as follows 1966-67 lost 3-0, 1967-68 lost 2-0, 1968-69 lost 4-1, 1969-70 lost 4-0 & 1970-71 lost 3-0. Definitely one of my least favourite away grounds was Somerton Park!!

I think I saw 4 of those 5 Dave and the next one-we lost 2-0 in our promotion season.

Not a game where the opposition should be underestimated. There appears to be a good deal of talent in the side and I like the look of Moncor, Massey, Ambrose and Garvan in particular. Although they are shaky at the back, something they are working on, it would be no surprise to me should we need 2-3 goals to get the three points. First order of the day is respect rather than complacency. I think it's going to be a cracker.

Back