• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 1-2 Cambridge Utd

I know that was I was fuming about! Acquah shouldn't be nowhere near a football pitch let alone start.

So we know you didn't actually watch the match last night - did you watch the Grimsby game? I thought that Akinola struggled at Grimsby and looked a lot more dangerous with Acquah up top with him last night. It is a team game and it is obvious that some of the players you are constantly wanting to start are not fully fit to do so at the moment.

I was planning and looking forward to watching the game until I saw that starting lineup and that's what changed my mind! I've seen acquah play alot this season and
at both the live games we could attend.If I had watched the game last night I would still be saying hes not good enough because hes not just not good at football! I was following the reports on sky sports and I know we should have killed the game off in the first half when we had the wind and that akinola should have scored more! But dont worry I'm definitely getting the Mansfield game Saturday.

As Brick top would say "Goody gum drops". That means you wont miss a thing. Saturday will be fun for all.

I was planning and looking forward to watching the game until I saw that starting lineup and that's what changed my mind! I've seen acquah play alot this season and
at both the live games we could attend.If I had watched the game last night I would still be saying hes not good enough because hes not just not good at football! I was following the reports on sky sports and I know we should have killed the game off in the first half when we had the wind and that akinola should have scored more! But dont worry I'm definitely getting the Mansfield game Saturday.

I feel so much better knowing that @Shrimpet steve. Your insight and analysis will enrich the Mansfield post match thread.

It's not just about having seasoned pros up front performing to a high standard on a regular basis. Our seasoned pros in other positioned are not performing on a regular basis. JD is a prime example. Again his performance was full of flaws. Bad displays of discipline. Trying to con the referee unsuccessfully to get free kicks. Another stupid dive in the middle of the pitch that gave possession to Cambridge and resulted in a dangerous attack. He's a liability too often.
I felt JD has been the most consistent player all season to be honest. He did attempt to get a free kick in the middle of the pitch as you rightly say, but compared to Maccas fouls on the edge of our box and lip service to the ref, JD was fairly reserved. Plus I saw some great passes last night such as the long pinpoint crossfield ball that Elvis failed to control as an example. Macca is twice the liability as others have already said on here !
Neither are angels, and that's exactly what we need in a fight at the bottom. Youl be pleased to hear I understand he got his knee injection today which I believe needs a week to settle, so i suspect may be rested saturday.

Agree....at least 3 in front of him for a start, bloke is a slow liability. Look at that ridiculous hatchet job he done on that bloke for his Country, ball was nowhere in sight. As for that ridiculous dive last night, embarrassing. Nasty little rat ars e cause he can’t keep up but another M.M favourite so he’ll stay a regular!
I'm pleased not all zoners are as acidic as you Wiggy. Nothing wrong with criticism but why be personal about him. what makes you believe he's a nasty little rat arse? Is it because he gives 100% and helps and protects the youngsters, or maybe because hes the patron of a kids hospital charity away from the pitch? Or is it because he's carried on playing with knee injections notching up vast minutes of matchtime, or maybe it's because he helped out the players when they weren't getting paid? I think he's been pretty loyal to the club, which is more than can be said for your attitude to players.

Look at his running.
Anyone who's done a modicum of athletics will know about movement and force travelling in the same direction to improve cadence.
His shoulders rock, and it's wasted energy.
That bulk is going to cost him in the future.
Think of Premier League strikers. Do any have Emile's physique?
If you want a closer comparison look at Heskey running compared to Acquah. The former's is still more compact and effective.
That's something our Acquah CAN improve, and I wonder if anyone's spoken to him about it.
nice to see constructive criticism on here. All good points. Made me think..... Traore, heskey and the spurs guy (whatever his name is, s.............. ) etc....
He really would benefit from that type of help. For what it's worth, considering how 'raw' he is, I felt he had a good first half, causing problems getting a few flick ons.

How come you aren't managing Liverpool or Man City? I always thought Mourhino was the special one

It's called an opinion. Something which I'm entitled to have, voice and share on here. I certainly don't claim to be an expert. As I didn't open the reply saying "In my expert opinion ....."

Of course that's always easy to do against a team up the top of the division. How stupid of me

3 at the back with wing backs, 3 in the middle and 2 strikers is hardly a negative line up. In fact it's a rather positive and fluid line up unless you are old school and think it's 5 at the back at all times

I was inferring to both the formation AND the personnel. Read it something thoroughly first before firing off responses. In both games where Halford has played as part of a back 3, Paul Clark, who is in a position of experience, has made it quite clear that Hobson is not comfortable in that role. I have to agree with that opinion and would add that if you've got players in a line up where they are not best suited then it hardly adds to the positive appearance of the line up.

As for your point about them being in the top 3, history over the years has shown that we can go toe to toe with teams above us. So why would be in awe of them and their lofty position?

Look at his running.
Anyone who's done a modicum of athletics will know about movement and force travelling in the same direction to improve cadence.
His shoulders rock, and it's wasted energy.
That bulk is going to cost him in the future.
Think of Premier League strikers. Do any have Emile's physique?
If you want a closer comparison look at Heskey running compared to Acquah. The former's is still more compact and effective.
That's something our Acquah CAN improve, and I wonder if anyone's spoken to him about it.

It's something I said mid game a few weeks ago on here. His running form is odd. He looks like he overs trides which means his feet will actually be acting as a brake and also his arms seem to hang loosely by his side rather than pumping thus aiding propulsion. I think he could benefit from seeing a running coach and I believe he could actually become a fast striker with good feet.

It's something I said mid game a few weeks ago on here. His running form is odd. He looks like he overs trides which means his feet will actually be acting as a brake and also his arms seem to hang loosely by his side rather than pumping thus aiding propulsion. I think he could benefit from seeing a running coach and I believe he could actually become a fast striker with good feet.
would be a huge plus for him because that would make home much more marketable and versatile. I doubt we have that resource for him so maybe it will be something he pursues privately if possible, should be get that guidance.
I recall a game against gills when he came on as sub and terrorised them for 15 mins before getting sent off. He appeared more agile and nimble then. I hope he doesn't read stuff on here as I'm sure he'd trying hard and some of the stuff on here is so ignorant and abusive.
Hopefully MMs team may offer the ideas you came up with.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned one of the worst decisions of this or any other season.
The incident where a free kick was given against Hart in the second half, just outside the penalty area, for a genuine 50-50 challenge which Hart got to first, but which ended with both players requiring treatment. The lesser Madley (correctly described, Mick), obviously knew he had ballsed up because once he had made the decision, I was waiting for a second yellow for Hart, which never came. Madley knew he was wrong but was too proud to change his decision....

I thought the referee reached for his pocket to give Hart a second yellow card then changed his mind as the head injuries unfolded. Hart picks up a lot of yellow cards though and it’s only a matter of time until he receives two in one game.

Some on here mentioned the other players getting in the ear of the ref, preventing the second yellow. Well done them.
When I watched it a second time I could see why the ref have it, although at first direct thought the same as you. I think Hart kind of took him out to get his head near the ball.
Overall I liked the refs favouritism to us, first half especially. Thought he showed why he was refereeing at a much higher level previously with lots of talking to players

I felt JD has been the most consistent player all season to be honest. He did attempt to get a free kick in the middle of the pitch as you rightly say, but compared to Maccas fouls on the edge of our box and lip service to the ref, JD was fairly reserved. Plus I saw some great passes last night such as the long pinpoint crossfield ball that Elvis failed to control as an example. Macca is twice the liability as others have already said on here !
Neither are angels, and that's exactly what we need in a fight at the bottom. Youl be pleased to hear I understand he got his knee injection today which I believe needs a week to settle, so i suspect may be rested saturday.
He's been generally good this season but I didn't think he had a good game last night, found it hard to get on the ball as much as usual and not as quick to the second balls.

would be a huge plus for him because that would make home much more marketable and versatile. I doubt we have that resource for him so maybe it will be something he pursues privately if possible, should be get that guidance.
I recall a game against gills when he came on as sub and terrorised them for 15 mins before getting sent off. He appeared more agile and nimble then. I hope he doesn't read stuff on here as I'm sure he'd trying hard and some of the stuff on here is so ignorant and abusive.
Hopefully MMs team may offer the ideas you came up with.
I was at that game too and remember he scared the life out of the Gills defence, he was full of energy and enthusiasm and I believe there’s more to him than we’ve seen this season. I think he has been playing with a lot of expectation on him and maybe that affected him. He really wasn’t that bad 1st half, could’ve been sharper, but the effort was there. He never should’ve been first choice striker in a struggling team, he isn’t ready for that.

I'm pleased not all zoners are as acidic as you Wiggy. Nothing wrong with criticism but why be personal about him. what makes you believe he's a nasty little rat arse? Is it because he gives 100% and helps and protects the youngsters, or maybe because hes the patron of a kids hospital charity away from the pitch? Or is it because he's carried on playing with knee injections notching up vast minutes of matchtime, or maybe it's because he helped out the players when they weren't getting paid? I think he's been pretty loyal to the club, which is more than can be said for your attitude to players.
Q the violins!! That's all great but isnt this about playing football? And football ability? Hes not good enough and no way should he be starting for sufc not with the players we have now! Ok,When we was short of bodies he was needed but that was the only reason,I really dont know how he got signed up other then panic and desperation.

Every game this season he has been niggly and argumentative to all referee's just because he has slowed up and is very negative in his play. Good on him if he does as you say with the kids but imo he isn't a very good midfielder and constant arguing with the officials is doing us no favours!

Every game this season he has been niggly and argumentative to all referee's just because he has slowed up and is very negative in his play. Good on him if he does as you say with the kids but imo he isn't a very good midfielder and constant arguing with the officials is doing us no favours!

Oh for those lovely warm days at the end of summer. Like when we played Harrogate and wouldn't so boo to a goose. I bet you were really pleased that Refs didn't have to speak to anyone in a blue shirt and no one in a blue shirt bothered them.....And weren't we all the happiest bunch back then.

Back