• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I enjoyed the game immensely, it's always good to beat Colchester, no matter the competition. No-one's said anything about the pitch - thought it was much better, hopefully with a couple of weeks rest now it will show further improvement.

To be fair it only had 1 team playing on it! I don't think Colchester had the ball long enough to do anything likely to damage the pitch...

A really good performance tonight against a very poor Col ***** side. As said above, could and should have been 4 or 5, with my only criticism to being our inability to finish off some of the good work in build up play. A strange game and atmosphere and certainly not the usual Essex Derby, but unlike Saturday the whole team put in a shift and got the reward that we deserved on the night. The 151 inbreds spent most of the time singing how **** southend is, but they had nothing else to get excited about, no shots on goal the whole game.

We played with pace and purpose going forward and Solid at the back and rarely troubled. Main dispointment for me again was Ranger, at times looked disinterested, and should stick to doing the simple stuff first and less of the drag backs and fancy flicks that just don't work. The one real chance he had, one on one in the first half and made a mess of it..

Oxley .. nothing to do so only a .. 6
Elvis .. really good game defensively and going forward .. 7
White .. solid and reliable as ever .. 7
Turner .. as with white, solid, reliable, good in the air and good with the ball at feet .. 7
Timlin .. decent going forward and solid .. 7
Mcglash .. so much pace, but end result not good enough .. 6
Macca .. really positive going forward and worked hard, unlucky not to score tonight .. 7
Lenny .. all action as always, worked well with Wright .. 7
wright .. best game for us, worked well with Lenny, used the ball intelligently and in the right place to score .. 8
Theo .. really good game, positive, lots of energy and an excellent goal .. 8
Ranger .. don't know what has happened to him, stick to the basics and stop all the flicks, should gave scored .. 6

Cox ... not great, missed penalty .. 5
Ba .. good energy and created a few chances .. 7
Anton .. came on for Turner, did ok, but not much to do .. 6

all in all a good performance, clean sheet and plenty of positives after saturdays debacle
Can't agree with the Ranger quote. 1st half he was excellent and made soooo many headers with decent flick on's and was real thorne in Col U's side.
He had taken a knock long before he came off and I was surprised he wasn't subbed earlier tbh.

- not so sure about Coxy though, still, sense of humour apparently from his Tweet!

I think he was being serious.

Was his 5th yellow card, but I'm fairly sure Checkatrade cards don't count in the totting up for League and proper Cup competitions.

Good performance against a poor Colchester side. 9 changes for them from the FA Cup exit but I feel they may have played a few squad players in the FA Cup so maybe a fairly strong side last night.

We played hoof ball for the first 20 mins but then settled down. Nice to see us play with 2 proper wingers and for Wright to be in the middle, definitely his preferred position. Comfy win but I feel had we gone 1-0 down, we may not have had a plan B, which is pretty standard for us.

Nice to see Turner get some game time and looked very comfortable. Made the CB position look easy, he is a quality player. Not sure I'd like to see him and Ferdy together, I think Turner and White worked well last night and I'd like to see more of that in league games.

Oxley - 6, Didn't have much to do
Bwonomo - 7.5, Good link up play with McGlashan, he's going to have a good career. Heard him interviewed after the game on BBC Essex and is a level headed chap. Got the managers player of the match
White - 8, Solid performance. the transformation from RB to CB is complete
Turner - 8, A real touch of class, you can see how good he is. Can't wait to see him fully fit.
Timlin - 7, Better performance, one rash challenge second half that I thought would earn a booking but he got away with it.
McGlashan - 7, Lots of energy and good link up down the right with Bwomono
Wright - 7.5, Looked good in his preferred position and grabbed his first goal for us
Leonard - 7, Standard Lenny performance
McLaughlin - 7.5, Worked the wings well, great shot that the keeper couldn't hold, Wright was there to finish the rebound form the keeper
Robinson - 8.5 MOM. Best performance in a Blue shirt. Ran at defenders more, held the ball up, passed well. Great run and shot for his goal. Hopefully he can kick on from here
Ranger - 6, Odd one. Won plenty of headers in the first half but with he ball at his feet, he doesn't look so good. Numerous times he had a simple pass but chose to twist, and turn and shield the ball but generally lost the ball

Subs:
Ferdinand for Turner - 6, Didn't really have much to do
Ba for Robinson - 7, I like Ba, gets about, runs the channels and links up well. I want to see him in league games.
Cox for Ranger - 5, Lost the ball every time he got it and missed a penalty

Last edited:
Pleased to hear so many positives - thanks for the match reports. :thumbsup:

I presume this means we progress in the competition - I think that is just what we need at the moment.

When is the draw for the next round (presumably knock out)?

Good performance against a poor Colchester side. 9 changes for them from the FA Cup exit but I feel they may have played a few squad players in the FA Cup so maybe a fairly strong side last night.

As I said in the other thread seven of their players had only eleven League starts this season between them.

I think it's fair to say the 9 changes did not strengthen their team.

As I said in the other thread seven of their players had only eleven League starts this season between them.

I think it's fair to say the 9 changes did not strengthen their team.

I wasn't sure if they played a weakened side at the weekend or not. Thanks for clearing that up

Pleased to hear so many positives - thanks for the match reports. :thumbsup:

I presume this means we progress in the competition - I think that is just what we need at the moment.

When is the draw for the next round (presumably knock out)?

We will be away to one of the group winners in the Southern half, but not Gillingham (again).

Final group matches are in three weeks time, but opponents could include Swansea, West Ham ........ or Yeovil amongst others.

Nope your still angry and disappointed after a Southend victory!

If you were to read the Match report thread you would realise how stupid you look.

I have said before and I will say one last time, I love this club, I love it when we win and hate it when we lose. What I don't much care for is Phil Brown. I would never want us to lose so a manager gets sacked.

Once that has finally sunk into your brain, perhaps you will think a bit more before posting ridiculous claims about me.

We played hoof ball for the first 20 mins but then settled down. Nice to see us play with 2 proper wingers and for Wright to be in the middle, definitely his preferred position. Comfy win but I feel had we gone 1-0 down, we may not have had a plan B, which is pretty standard for us.

Nice to see Turner get some game time and looked very comfortable. Made the CB position look easy, he is a quality player. Not sure I'd like to see him and Ferdy together, I think Turner and White worked well last night and I'd like to see more of that in league games.

Oxley - 6, Didn't have much to do
Bwonomo - 7.5, Good link up play with McGlashan, he's going to have a good career. Heard him interviewed after the game on BBC Essex and is a level headed chap. Got the managers player of the match
White - 8, Solid performance. the transformation from RB to CB is complete
Turner - 8, A real touch of glass, you can see how good he is. Can't wait to see him fully fit.
Timlin - 7, Better performance, one rash challenge second half that I thought would earn a booking but he got away with it.
McGlashan - 7, Lots of energy and good link up down the right with Bwomono
Wright - 7.5, Looked good in his preferred position and grabbed his first goal for us
Leonard - 7, Standard Lenny performance
McLaughlin - 7.5, Worked the wings well, great shot that the keeper couldn't hold, Wright was there to finish the rebound form the keeper
Robinson - 8.5 MOM. Best performance in a Blue shirt. Ran at defenders more, held the ball up, passed well. Great run and shot for his goal. Hopefully he can kick on from here
Ranger - 6, Odd one. Won plenty of headers in the first half but with he ball at his feet, he doesn't look so good. Numerous times he had a simple pass but chose to twist, and turn and shield the ball but generally lost the ball

Subs:
Ferdinand for Turner - 6, Didn't really have much to do
Ba for Robinson - 7, I like Ba, gets about, runs the channels and links up well. I want to see him in league games.
Cox for Ranger - 5, Lost the ball every time he got it and missed a penalty

Let's hope he isn't as fragile...

If you were to read the Match report thread you would realise how stupid you look.

I have said before and I will say one last time, I love this club, I love it when we win and hate it when we lose. What I don't much care for is Phil Brown. I would never want us to lose so a manager gets sacked.

Once that has finally sunk into your brain, perhaps you will think a bit more before posting ridiculous claims about me.

Definitely a Col U fan. You've been outed!

I'm not sure they did. They played their full first team in the FA Cup last Saturday and made 9 changes.
Their “full first team” performed miserably and deservedly lost at home to a team struggling badly two levels lower.While he may have been “resting” two or three of them last night,half a dozen or so probably got dropped.

We will be away to one of the group winners in the Southern half, but not Gillingham (again).

My understanding and the way it worked last year is that the Southern and Northern sections knock out stages were drawn in blocks of four matches (i.e. two halves per section). Within that, there was still some geographical considerations, so it was still partly regionalized.

In that respect, it's to stop us being drawn away at Plymouth or Swansea and vice-versa.

If it works the same way this year, we'll probably end up with either Luton, Portsmouth or MK Dons. It could depend on who wins the group that West Ham U21's are in, as well. West Ham need a draw tonight against Wycombe Wanderers, unless the Bristol Rovers v Swindon Town match is drawn in which case West Ham win the group, regardless.

Last season, the draw was made the day after the group matches were completed, so it'll probably be tomorrow or Friday.

Back