• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Southend Utd vs Harrogate Town 12th September 2020 15:00 hrs

What would be your starting 11 for Saturday and what do you think the result will be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
1599677534503.png

Here we go then, our first league game back in FL2 and it all kicks off without us long suffering supporters giving it loud and live. Nevertheless I reckon a large chunk of us will be watching the game on iFollow. As usual, all the normal pre match stuff here, including raging debate about iFollow and will we get our codes in time, such joy! Pre match poll available so off we go.

Welcome also, for the first time ever, to Harrogate Town fans, if any of you are looking in why not post your views on the game, we will welcome your input.

ps - this was the only photo on the official site relating to the game and as it features JW's latest barnet it just has to get an airing.

Strange feeling at the start of this season. Club feels in worse position than it has for a number of years, maybe even more of a state than when Sturrock took charge. Atleast he was able to make signings.

Fan base feels more disconnected then ever, although with people not being able to attend games this is understandable.

However, on a positive note I’m happy with MM so far. Although time will tell, atleast he comes across as genuine, hardworking and for the first time, perhaps since Sturrock, un-egotistical. Is that a word? You get a feeling from him he understands the situation of the club, is realistic about what he’ll have to deal with.

Not expecting a lot from this season. The squad is paper thin and young. Ron Martin has a lot to answer for, it all seems far too quiet considering the state of things.

No idea what to expect from Saturday, but let’s hope That there’s some gems to come from this young crop of players. All we can ask is that everyone gives their all for the club, puts their ego aside and fights for every inch!

Good luck Shrimpers, we’re gonna need it!!:Footballer:

Last edited:
In my opinion we couldn't have a worse opening fixture than to play against a team new to the EFL. They will be so up for this match. I fear that we may be blown away......

On the other hand, we could overwhelm them with our new high speed passing game and give them a reality check. You're playing against the big boys now.

Jeez........

What ever the outcome ( im hoping for a win ) as long as they give the manager and all supporters 100% in effort ,i couldnt ask for more ,We will im sure improve as the season progresses and the young lads get more experience in this leagu ,plus hopefully soon a few acquisitions to strengthen the squad. What RM needs to do ASAP is get that money paid and get us out of the umbargo ,that to me will show he is truly supporting MM and his backroom staff.

They have Jon Stead big burly skilfull Center Forward who knows where the net is. Just the type of player we need. We must keep him out. Can,t wait Come On You Blues. :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :Hilarious::Happy::LoyalSupporter:

They have Jon Stead big burly skilfull Center Forward who knows where the net is. Just the type of player we need. We must keep him out. Can,t wait Come On You Blues. :LoyalSupporter: :LoyalSupporter: :Hilarious::Happy::LoyalSupporter:

We already have one of those who is better than Stead. The thing is he doesn't want to play for us, wont pass to his team mates and that will spoil the spirit we see in the first 45 at Gillingham.

So MM has a big decision as to who is having the number 9 job and whether to go safe with JW and Hobson, as I would....Although he will be putting his faith in the youth this season, the opening game is not the time for Taylor and Hobson. Ralph in at LB for me......The rest pick themselves.

This is a very tough first game. How often do we see a relegated team get off to a slow start in the league below, as they try to shake off the losing mentality of the previous season? A lot.
Then, similarly, the promoted teams come into their first season in the division above full of life.

Hope we win but it won't be easy

This is a very tough first game. How often do we see a relegated team get off to a slow start in the league below, as they try to shake off the losing mentality of the previous season? A lot.
Then, similarly, the promoted teams come into their first season in the division above full of life.

Hope we win but it won't be easy

I would have thought they would have plenty of fans in full support for a first ever league game, in normal circumstances. At least our lads wont have the fear factor of a bad first touch as there wont be that groan of "Here we go again" from the stands.

Southend to win....

We already have one of those who is better than Stead. The thing is he doesn't want to play for us, wont pass to his team mates and that will spoil the spirit we see in the first 45 at Gillingham.

So MM has a big decision as to who is having the number 9 job and whether to go safe with JW and Hobson, as I would....Although he will be putting his faith in the youth this season, the opening game is not the time for Taylor and Hobson. Ralph in at LB for me......The rest pick themselves.

I normally agree with you Rigsby, but Richard Taylor has done more than enough to justify his inclusion at left back ahead of Ralph.
He's been strong, composed, carrying the ball out from the back. He also adds much needed physicality.
Same back four as we had against Gillingham for me.

Can't wait ( along with many others), to be allowed in ....:LoyalSupporter:

If the review of the October 1st limited return for fans postpones that return you may have a long time to wait. How long can we survive without gate income........? Will League Two get through the full season......? We had better enjoy the next few games while we still can.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally agree with you Rigsby, but Richard Taylor has done more than enough to justify his inclusion at left back ahead of Ralph.
He's been strong, composed, carrying the ball out from the back. He also adds much needed physicality.
Same back four as we had against Gillingham for me.

Not always, I'm sorry to say. For me, his strength in the air makes him better suited to CB. Not writing him off or saying he cant play LB, we just have plenty of options in that slot. With Lennon's and JW's luck in the last couple of seasons we may be short of CB's

Ralph also has a great delivery with his left foot, which Kelman would profit the most from.

Richards done very well, but look a little closer at the mistakes he makes that fortunately haven’t been punished in pre season.....

The ball slipping under his foot when recovering from the gk, his body position when supporting a man on the ball which leads to him being dispossessed, dribbling into trouble. The error Saturday which led to a free header was just where he got himself in the wrong position and couldn’t adjust his feet or body quick enough......

I’m knit picking to an extent and I believe he’s going to be a good player and didn’t deserve the treatment he got from Sol, but these are the reasons for me that as a left back, if fit, at the moment he’s behind Ralph, Clifford and poss Kyps and at Centre Back he’s behind Lennon, White, Hobson and possibly Dieng.

He’s just 19 though and good defending comes with experience and age, which is why we see lots of the best defenders as they get older.

Richards done very well, but look a little closer at the mistakes he makes that fortunately haven’t been punished in pre season.....

The ball slipping under his foot when recovering from the gk, his body position when supporting a man on the ball which leads to him being dispossessed, dribbling into trouble. The error Saturday which led to a free header was just where he got himself in the wrong position and couldn’t adjust his feet or body quick enough......

I’m knit picking to an extent and I believe he’s going to be a good player and didn’t deserve the treatment he got from Sol, but these are the reasons for me that as a left back, if fit, at the moment he’s behind Ralph, Clifford and poss Kyps and at Centre Back he’s behind Lennon, White, Hobson and possibly Dieng.

He’s just 19 though and good defending comes with experience and age, which is why we see lots of the best defenders as they get older.

The error was noticeable but not the end of the world.....His slow reaction and failure to stop the cross, or at least do your best was more alarming.

Agree with you about experience but funny how those with desire always look more experienced.

Taylor is inexperienced yes, but you only get experience through playing. I was tongue in cheek with my selection of him instead of White and of course, man bun regardless, White has to start if fit. MMN and Taylor both have good potential but also the propensity to make costly errors but then so does Elvis. We’re a league 2 team not Bayern Munich so any player who’s the finished article ain’t gonna stay with us long.
Ralph will be fine once fully fit and as for Humphrys..well he’s a proven goalscorer and he’s capable of moments of magic. Our other forwards are much less experienced and unless MM can bring in someone else, I say Hump has to play. It’s a tough one but look, the more he scores and the better he plays the quicker he’ll get snapped up so I’d be focusing on that if I was him.
In my opinion, Humphrys cannot play. He ruins good moves by holding the ball too much and he apparently couldn't care in the 2nd half vs West Ham (although it is a pointless trophy)

He needs to be told to stay on last man and run in behind, because he's not a false 9 or a target man, he's too selfish.

The less time he has on the ball, the better for team play. We need a new target man really.

Back