• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
BBC said:
Southend are hopeful that 12-goal Britt Assombalonga will be fit to return after missing Saturday's defeat at Burton with shin and ankle injuries.The loss at the Pirelli Stadium ended the Shrimpers' 14-game unbeaten run.
Gillingham boss Martin Allen has no injury or suspension worries for the trip to Essex.
But the Gills have won only one of their last six games and saw Port Vale go top of League Two after Saturday's game against Northampton was postponed.

Sky Sports said:
Southend are hopeful Britt Assombalonga will be fit to return for their New Year's Day fixture against fellow promotion contenders Gillingham.The Watford loanee, who has scored 12 goals for the Shrimpers so far this term, was forced to sit out Saturday's defeat at Burton with a shin and ankle injury.
Assombalonga will undergo a fitness test ahead of the Gills clash, and is expected to go straight into Paul Sturrock's starting line-up if passed fit.
Barry Corr replaced Assombalonga in attack, but after the Blues saw their 14-match unbeaten run come to an end at the Pirelli Stadium, Sturrock will be hoping to revert to his winning formula.
Mark Phillips made his first appearance following a knee injury as a second-half substitute against the Brewers and is pushing for a start in defence.
David Martin and Freddy Eastwood also featured from the bench, giving Sturrock further alternatives.
Martin Allen has no injury or suspension concerns, but the Gillingham manager could still make changes.
The Gills have been given extra time to prepare for the game following the postponement of their fixture against Northampton, giving Allen the opportunity to weigh up his options following their Boxing Day defeat to Barnet.
Allen's players were booed off the pitch after the 1-0 loss and his team are under extra pressure after losing their top spot to Port Vale.
Chris Whelpdale, Jack Payne, and Adam Birchall all made substitute appearances against the Bees and are first in line for a recall to the starting line-up.
Danny Kedwell, Ben Strevens, and Andy Frampton are further options available to Allen ahead of a stern test against their fellow promotion hopefuls.
The Kent club are seeking to improve their recent form which has seen them win only one of their last six games.

I think we're all hoping Britt is ok to start this one although if not, I think it's Freddy's turn to start. If anyone knows how to outplay Barrett, then Freddy will!

Will be in the Shrimpers early as we've draw tickets to prepare and I understand there's bacon rolls on offer - sounds good to me! :smile:

Going for a 2-1 win to the Blues, Tomlin to score against another of his former clubs, along with Laird.

Last edited:
A pity you couldn't have reminded my daughter! She's decided, in her wisdom, to arrive at Blagnac from Paris Orly at 3.30 (2.30 GMT)..........we're an hour away from the airport. Even I wouldn't try and delay my wife from picking her up for an hour.........though I did make a tentative suggestion. :dim: I'm afraid the very best I can hope for is to stretch it out until half-time, before leaving. When I suggested (tongue in cheek?) that she changed to a later flight, she had the audacity to question whether Southend United was more important than her!.........kids these days. I've just had my wife in, saying that we leave at 2.15...........when I suggested 2.45, she said one or two things that wouldn't pass the swear filter and in brief, she wants to leave at 2.30.........with or without me........HAPPY NEW YEAR! :'( Anyone, any suggestions???

Very close one imo. Dont think there will be to many goals, but i fear we may be on the end of a 1 0 defeat, but as a rule i never get the score right, so fingers crossed

If not Britt then Fred to start, and Tam to finish his loan spell with another goal.
Maybe MP back into the back four in place of Luke as Gills strikers are wiley old pros not fast youngsters.

And announcement before game that Laird has signed 18mth contract.

A pity you couldn't have reminded my daughter! She's decided, in her wisdom, to arrive at Blagnac from Paris Orly at 3.30 (2.30 GMT)..........we're an hour away from the airport. Even I wouldn't try and delay my wife from picking her up for an hour.........though I did make a tentative suggestion. :dim: I'm afraid the very best I can hope for is to stretch it out until half-time, before leaving. When I suggested (tongue in cheek?) that she changed to a later flight, she had the audacity to question whether Southend United was more important than her!.........kids these days. I've just had my wife in, saying that we leave at 2.15...........when I suggested 2.45, she said one or two things that wouldn't pass the swear filter and in brief, she wants to leave at 2.30.........with or without me........HAPPY NEW YEAR! :'( Anyone, any suggestions???

I read that as "ok honey you stay and follow the football i'll go on my own".........of course i might be wrong:whistling:

i think i would have quoted love southend more i love colchester more than you lol

Just listen to the whole match and hope her flight is delayed.

if it isn't, when she calls you say, Orly? I am at CDG, stay put, I'm on my way now!

And tell her, next time please make it clear at which airport you're arriving..... (To make it more convincing, make her pay you for the extra fuel cost, to teach her a lesson)!

oh and to sort out the other problem, put a sleeping tablet in your wife's lunch.

I read that as "ok honey you stay and follow the football i'll go on my own".........of course i might be wrong:whistling:

Unfortunately, it's a little more complicated than that.....we are all going on to a family affair in the Tarn, after picking her up. If it had been just a question of collecting my daughter and coming back home.......my wife would have done it on her own! Very much afraid that I'm f****d over this!
Anyway regarding the match..........if Britt returns.........so does my confidence. If he doesn't, we better learn PDQ, how to win a match without him.........we didn't seem to have very much idea on Saturday.

Just listen to the whole match and hope her flight is delayed

if it isn't, when she calls you say, Orly? I am at CDG, stay put, I'm on my way now!

And tell her, next time please make it clear at which airport you're arriving..... (To make it more convincing, make her pay you for the extra fuel cost, to teach her a lesson)!

oh and to sort out the other problem, put a sleeping tablet in your wife's lunch.

That REALLY is my only hope........she's phoning before leaving. I think the plan of going to the wrong airport is excellent.. ................the only problem being..............Toulouse doesn't have two airports! The last suggestion I'm afraid, is ridiculous.........do you think a simple sleeping pill would stop my wife being at the airport when her daughter arrives?.......
........You don't know my wife. :smile:

That REALLY is my only hope........she's phoning before leaving. I think the plan of going to the wrong airport is excellent.. ................the only problem being..............Toulouse doesn't have two airports! The last suggestion I'm afraid, is ridiculous.........do you think a simple sleeping pill would stop my wife being at the airport when her daughter arrives?.......
........You don't know my wife. :smile:

Aaah I misread that, thought she was arriving AT Orly not coming from. My bad!

Apparently over 7000 tickets had gone yesterday.

F£&@!?@

Means I will have to queue for chips! What is this nonsense!

In other news we will bounce back after Making me watch that crap on Saturday!

3-1 .. Tomlin, Assombalonga x2

Also losing gives us an excuse to play Phillips and drop Prosser!

Has to be Freddy's turn to start if Britt is still injured, Corr didn't exactly shine against Burton.

3-0, Tomlin, Laird, Barrett og

Back