• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

onlyonekingkevin

Designer
i think we should be aiming to win this cup this year , so i think we should play a strong side .

here is mine

smith

clohessy phillips cresswell straker

hurst timlin spicer leonard

benyon assombalongerlongerlongerlonger

Southend boss Paul Sturrock is expected to make very few changes.
The Shrimpers beat Wycombe 1-0 in the league on Saturday and Sturrock wants to stick to his winning formula in the cup competition, having reached the Southern Section semi-finals last season.
One change that is likely is the inclusion of goalkeeper Paul Smith who looks set to make his debut after moving from Nottingham Forest last month.
The Blues will give a late fitness test to winger Kevan Hurst who suffered concussion at the weekend, resulting in the temporary loss of vision in one eye.
Sturrock will monitor the fitness of Dave Martin (ankle) and Freddy Eastwood (calf) who are both doubts.
Dale Bennett is expected to be fit for AFC Wimbledon.
The on-loan Watford defender took a whack to the knee on his debut against Dagenham on Saturday but managed to complete the full 90 minutes.
Fellow deadline-day signing George Francomb, on loan from Norwich, also made his debut in the 2-2 draw and will keep his place in a new-look defence.
Skipper Mat Mitchel-King is on compassionate leave and fellow defenders Curtis Osano (ankle) and Callum McNaughton (cruciate) are still sidelined while Curtis Haynes-Brown remains doubtful after suffering concussion against Bradford last week.
Midfielder Rashid Yussuff and striker Jason Prior are also still in the treatment room.

Plenty of goals in AFC Wimbledon matches this season, 23 in 5 games and they've scored in every match - so far. (nil-nil it is then?)

Definitely a game we should be taking very seriously as it's a winnable competition.

Smith

Clohessy Cresswell Phillips Prosser

Leonard Timlin Spicer Straker

Tomlin Assombaletsalldotheconga

Martin in for Leonard if he is fit but it looks like Hurst will miss out with concussion so I'd expect Straker to get a start at LM.

Hopefully we'll try and build on saturdays win, even though its a cup game we would all like to go through. I don't really know too much about them but I know they still have Midson who they claim is their best player and he seems to score quite a few for them so he's one to watch.

Hopefully we'll come out winners but with our current squad I still don't know what to expect. Hopefully a 2 nil win.

What with the tickets only being a fiver do we reckon we will get more than the east full and maybe open the south or am I being to optimistic?

What with the tickets only being a fiver do we reckon we will get more than the east full and maybe open the south or am I being to optimistic?

I think they should close the East, and use the North, South and West so that we can get an idea of what it will be like in the new stadium.

Laddies in Thorpe Bay are advertising Eastwood to score first in their display, clearly doing their research!

I think he will go for

Smith
Same as Saturday as he has no other players
Same as Saturday as Benyon and Harris like the ball to feet

Subs Belford plus same as Saturday as he has no other players

I think he will go for

Smith
Same as Saturday as Benyon and Harris like the ball to feet

Subs Belford plus same as Saturday as he has no other players

A settled side - sign of a good team.................

Ive got my ticket for the east. If they open the south upper I'm going to demand I be moved to my season ticket seat in the south upper as I asked to sit south upper when purchased and they told me it wouldn't be opened.

Ive got my ticket for the east. If they open the south upper I'm going to demand I be moved to my season ticket seat in the south upper as I asked to sit south upper when purchased and they told me it wouldn't be opened.

That kind of why I'm waiting until the last minute to get my ticket. I remember it happened a few seasons a go in a cup game. Can't remember who is was against but they opened the south upper at the last minute.

Here is my preview into this evening's game between Southend V AFC Wimbledon.

Southend United v AFC Wimbledon:

FORM:

SOUTHEND:

Last 5:

LEAGUE:

Southend 1-0 Wycombe (W)
Northampton 3-3 Southend (D)
Oxford 2-0 Southend (L)
Southend 0-1 Accrington (L)

LEAGUE CUP:

Peterborough 4-0 Southend (L)

SOUTHEND:

AFC WIMBLEDON:

Last 5:

League:

AFC Wimbledon 2-2 Dagenham and Redbridge (D)
Bradford 5-1 AFC Wimbledon (L)
Burton 6-2 AFC Wimbledon (L)
AFC Wimbledon 1-0 Chesterfield (W)

League Cup:
Stevenage 3-1 AFC Wimbledon

HEAD TO HEAD:

Southend 2
Draws 0
AFC Wimbledon 0

Southend V Wimbledon (Pre new Wimbledon) Southend 9 Draws 1 Wimbledon 6

Last Time we Met: Sat 31 December 2011 AFC Wimbledon 1 Southend 4

Last 2 Head to Head Southend 2 Draws 0 AFC Wimbledon 0

Last Time we Met in Football League Trophy: NEVER MET

KEY PLAYER FOR AFC Wimbledon:

Byron Harrison - After joining Wimbledon during the January transfer window from Stevenage, Harrison took a while to find his scoring feet only managing two goals in 19 appearances during the 2011/12 season. This season however, the 25 year old has already eclipsed that tally in 4 matches, scoring three goals to lead the club's tally in the early stages of the season. Most of Wimbledon's matches this season have been high in goals and if Southend can stop Harrison from scoring then they will have a fantastic chance of moving towards the next round of the cup.

KEY PLAYER FOR SOUTHEND:

Britt Assombalonga - Two goals in two games for the Watford loanee has him as the key player for Southend in this match against AFC Wimbledon. Wimbledon have performed poorly in defence and with Assombalonga in good form he is a big threat for Wimbledon in tonight's match. More than likely if Britt scores, Southend will go on to record the victory.

STATS:

AFC Wimbledon has lost all three matches away from home so far this season

AFC Wimbledon has conceded an average of over 4 goals a game away from home in those opening three away fixtures

Southend kept their first clean sheet in the Football League and League Cup this year, after their win against Wycombe over the weekend.

It was also Southend's first win in the League or Cup this season.

Finally in the 18 matches between Southend and the two Wimbledon clubs, their has only been one draw between the two teams.

MY TIP:

The much needed win by Southend against Wycombe now has the Shrimpers back on the right track and only three points away from the playoffs. AFC Wimbledon on the other hand have been very poor away from home, losing all of their matches and conceding a fair few goals in the process.

To me their is only one clear winner, and that is Southend. Granted they need to play their full strength squad, but if they do, then the win will be theres.

TIP: Southend 3-1

Back