• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Are West Ham taking the p*ss out of SUFC by having billboard ads in Southend?

• Total voters

Jai

President ⭐
Just popped out of the office for a bite to eat when I noticed a whacking great board opposite the New Empire Theatre with a west ham shirt with "The Dirty Dick" written beside it, presumably an example of their pathetic 1800s rhyming language. The shirt had XL on the front, which presumably is a sponsor as if it was the size then west ham fans worldwide would have slimmed down A LOT.

Anyway I know this issue always prompts a bit of division but I thought I'd ask the question anyway - is advertising their shirt in our town taking the **** out of us or is it perfectly reasonable to advertise to the local simpleton population?

Mods any chance of this being made into a poll as I don't have the time or the knowhow - ta

I can see both sides of this argument. It's annoying to see them advertise like this in Southend to the potential detriment of the local club but there are a lot of local knuckle-dragging spammers in the town so it is good business sense for them.
Personally I don't agree with the practise, however.

The use of cockney-rhyming slang sounds terrible and extremely stereotypical. Sounds almost amateurish to me.

I personally think it's an Insult, But I'm no longer surprised by it...

I can see the arguments for it, with a large supporter base in the area and the right to advertise here, But imagine the uproar if we started to put billboards up in Canvey, Grays and Dagenham? They weren't visible when they spent a few seasons in The Championship, and it seems to me that they intend to capitalise on our downturn in fortune after our relegation.

And IIRC the shop came along just after we had suffered relegation as well - total lack of respect.

Come the 28th july the town will be full of spammers and there XL shirts seeing lots of people on here are not willing to pay the £20 for a ticket
to watch the Blues take them om at the hall

I agree the cost is high for this game tickets from our side when i was at
the ground today Southend 800 - Spammers 1000 they already sold there
first allocation of tickets im sure will be released to them

Lets fill the stadium with the Blue of Southend

On the terraces on away games the song i hear is we are not Cockneys we
are Southenders

Moan over _hit dat in office:thump:

I posted this thread on here last week about how w@nky their marketing campaign for their new shirt was.

Absolute scumbags putting up billboards in Southend & District, just one step behind the shop debacle if you ask me. Hopefully someone wil see fit to "decorate" it with suitable abuse!

This is why I hate West Ham...it has happened before as Jai says, with the club shop opening following our last relegation.

If I'd the money I'd do a massive Custard Splat shirt down Commercial Road.
The thing is, Naps, they wouldn't be at all bothered - or probably wouldn't even realise. Also, there would be no market to attract down the Commercial Road.

It's only a clutch of paranoid Southend fans who get all worked up by a simple piece of advertising directed at a market that exists in their town; for some reason they just can't accept that there are football fans in Southend who follow and support other football clubs! It's got absolutely nothing to do with a lack of respect; do they really think that the commercial department at Upton Park sits down at the beginning of each campaign to suggest ways of disrespecting little Southend United?!

The same people seem to conveniently forget the marketing campaign by SUFC that targeted potential fans in Chelmsford, Basildon, Canvey Island, Brentwood, etc. a couple of years ago.

;)

This is why I hate West Ham...it has happened before as Jai says, with the club shop opening following our last relegation.

Yes, Sherif, they were waiting on tenterhooks for the club's demise so that they could rub it in with a shop catering for the demands of just a several thousand West Ham fans living in the town ...

;)

Yes, Sherif, they were waiting on tenterhooks for the club's demise so that they could rub it in with a shop catering for the demands of just a several thousand West Ham fans living in the town ...

;)

Good marketing or not, it still stinks and it still makes me hate those Spammers more than ever. Just as I hate how Charlton run matchday buses from Gillingham to tap into the Gills potential support.

If that poster dosent have SUFC sprayed on it by closing time on Sunday I will be seriously dissapointed with the youth of Southend ;-)

Just as I hate how Charlton run matchday buses from Gillingham to tap into the Gills potential support.

A club could choose which other club they do not wish to be at home on the same weeks they are at home (generally speaking, there will be a few unavoidable exceptions). I believe we chose West Ham and I suspect Gillingham chose Charlton. Given that 80-90% of the fan base doesn't go to most away games, there is no reason why they shouldn't watch another team on alternate weeks.

If that poster dosent have SUFC sprayed on it by closing time on Sunday I will be seriously dissapointed with the youth of Southend ;-)

Personally my preferred wording would be:

Southend 1 (Angell) West Ham 0

On a similar note, I see that Tony Cottee and **** [SIZE=-1]MacAvennie are doing an "In conversation with..." night at the Towngate in Basildon (a whopping £25 quid a ticket for the priviledge if you're interested). Let's face it, they've as many fans in Essex as they have in the east end.
[/SIZE]

Back