• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

speed cmaera spotter thingys

CANV

Coach
anyone got one of these things.. road angel and various other brands that u pay an annual subscription to keep em updated..
do they work? do you get 0.0001 of a second notice for the mobile speed traps

Dad has a Road Angel one.

You can set how far you want the alert to start from. They recognise everything, but make sure you turn the volume down a bit

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CANV @ Mar. 30 2005,12:18)]anyone got one of these things.. road angel and various other brands that u pay an annual subscription to keep em updated..  
do they work? do you get 0.0001 of a second notice for the mobile speed traps
I don't know about those electronice gadgets, they seem a little expensive.

Why not do what I did and use a little bit of stealth technology.....

I covered my 1982 Morris Ital with polystyrene ceiling tiles and then painted the whole thing with matt black hammerite.

I haven't received a speeding ticket since......

I've got a Snooper S3, had it fitted since xmas and it works a treat.
you get upto 400m notice for fixed speed cameras and a couple for mobile cameras - but for mobile cameras you need to buy a extra part. It also tells you about other types of cameras, schools & accident blackspots.

Cost £4.99 a month for the latest downloads/updates.

be aware if you have a heated or reflective windscreen as i did as they dont like that at all!

You'd probably be interested in this from From The Sunday Times:

Fines: Rise of the stealth speed cameras
The speed check system that can’t be tricked is spreading fast. But is it too clever for its own – and our – good, asks Emma Smith

Imagine that when you joined a motorway your car registration plate was recorded by overhead cameras. Another camera recorded you leaving the motorway on a slip road and a computer worked out your time between the two points. If your speed during the journey exceeded the national limit, a penalty ticket was automatically issued.
It sounds like a Big Brother scenario but the technology has already arrived.

At present the new generation of Specs cameras (short for Speed Check Services after the Surrey-based company that makes them) are in limited use to trap speeding drivers at accident hot spots and motorway roadworks, but police want much more widespread use of them on motorways and A roads to ensure nobody dodges limits.

There are plans to install Specs cameras on a 16-mile stretch of the A14 in Cambridgeshire, while 28 miles of the A77, one of Scotland’s most dangerous roads, will be covered by the cameras this summer. It is only a matter of time, police predict, before the cameras are in widespread operation.

Smaller than the familiar yellow boxes of the Gatso cameras, the Specs units are fixed to poles high above a driver’s field of vision, leaving many motorists unaware they are under surveillance (though there should be a sign nearby warning of their presence). Unlike conventional cameras they do not flash and do not need road markings. Drivers are not able to put their foot down once safely past them because they are timed point to point.

Joanna Duckworth, 41, from Battersea, south London, was among those caught by cameras recently installed in central London, receiving a fine of £60 and three points on her licence. She was driving at 29mph along a 300-yard stretch of Upper Thames Street temporarily designated a 20mph zone.

“I had absolutely no idea the cameras were there,” says Duckworth. “The first I knew about it was when the fine arrived a few days later. I was doing less than 30mph and it was midnight so there was hardly anyone on the road.

“There were no shops, schools or houses around, just deserted offices and commercial buildings so I don’t see how it could be an accident black spot. I’ve been back since and there is a 20mph sign but it’s cunningly hidden behind a bus stop. Now I am in fear of being caught wherever I go and I am constantly monitoring my speedometer.”

In just three weeks the new central London cameras clocked up more than £84,000 in fines. The 70 drivers a day who were caught may have been unaware they were driving through a speed trap. For the revenue raisers — the London Safety Camera Partnership — the cameras are a bonanza. These units alone will generate £1.5m in a year if they continue catching motorists at the same rate.

But for drivers — who have dubbed the devices stealth cameras — they are piling on the misery. A total of 1.85m road users paid speeding fines during the 12 months leading up to April 2004, making more than £20m for the chancellor, according to figures released last month. That sum was up from £14.6m in the previous 12 months and more than the three previous years put together.

The Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo) has lobbied for government rules on siting of cameras to be relaxed so Specs cameras can be used to enforce limits on long stretches of road.

“We can target longer stretches of road,” says Ian Bell, Acpo’s national safety camera co-ordinator. “Take the A14 in Cambridgeshire. In three years there have been quite a high number of fatalities and hundreds of serious accidents but they’re not clustered together. They’re all along the route.”

Currently speed cameras can only be installed where there have been at least four collisions involving death or serious injury per kilometre in the previous three years and where at least 20% of drivers exceed the speed limit. For mobile cameras the number of collisions is two.

A Specs speed trap along a mile of road in Nottinghamshire — currently the longest stretch over which they’re used — is earning £1m a year. More than 50 motorists a day are being caught on the A610, which links the M1 to Nottingham centre. The cameras — the first in Europe — were installed at a cost of £32,000 and Nottinghamshire Safety Camera Partnership says they have halved the number of accidents.

Specs cameras are also in place on roads in Devon and Cornwall, South Yorkshire, Northamptonshire and Gloucestershire. The numbers are growing rapidly. The manufacturer says they are fairer to motorists because they iron out short bursts of speed. It has even offered to tell drivers who phone the company’s Camberley headquarters (01276 698 980) exactly where its cameras are. From next month the location of all Specs cameras will be published on the company’s website www.speedcheck.co.uk.

Despite increased use of cameras, the fatality rate has risen and in an annual RAC survey the number of drivers who admitted to speeding was up by almost 10% on last year. Critics question whether the speed cameras help to improve safety.

The RAC Foundation has criticised Specs cameras, saying they are more effective at generating money than cutting speeds. “They’re extremely efficient at handing out tickets and bringing in revenue but not as effective at getting people to slow down,” says Edmund King, the foundation’s president. “They look more like CCTV than speed cameras. Most motorists have no idea they’re there so they’re not a deterrent.”

Paul Watters of the AA Motoring Trust warns of the Big Brother potential of the Specs system. “Because they work using digital technology and the numberplates are recorded on a giant database, there is the potential in future to maybe use this information to highlight persistent offenders,” he says.

Yep the best part is that they simply look like CCTV cameras, and are usually placed on the underside of bridges.

my snooper picks them up.
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Mar. 30 2005,15:01)]I've somehow gone over a year without one ...:O
that's some drought mate, i know some old birds that could end that for you.........
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

as these latest cameras are fixed im sure the snooper systems can have em down loaded.. i think ill treat myself to some of this technology.. fk the government spying big brother bastards.. i aint paying them a penny..
well apart from the vat on the original purchase ..oh and the vat on the monthly subscriptions.. which will add up to more than i pay in fines which currently averages er zero .. but thats not the point!

Back