• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Speedway Controversy

THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK

Life President⭐⭐
So the Lakeside Hammers (A team I don't support) were winning the crucial Championship second leg semi-final against Peterborough by a score which meant they were through, when the floodlights failed. The meeting was abandoned after two hours of trying to fix the floodlights. The done thing in this situation is for Peterborough to concede as with the scores as it stood, the Hammers could not be caught. Surely Peterborough won't object and ask for a rerun? Yep, they did. The Hammers were rightly furious and a spokesman said that Peterborough were the only team that would have done that. The rerun had to be played at Rye House, a neutral track last night 24th Oct because the floodlights were still not mended, so the Hammers lost home advantage as well. Thankfully the Hammers won the rerun. But it's left a nasty taste in the English speedway world.

Not exactly sporting, is it? But remember a Man. City cup game - I think they were 6-1 up and Denis Law scored all 6 - it was abandoned and they lost the replay!

I remember a game vs Aldershot when the floodlights failed when we were 2-1 up and it was abandoned. Still irks me. :Angry:

Talking of the Lakeside Hammers, I'm not sure if they will still exist next season, as the Arena Essex Raceway track will close next week after 40 years in operation, as it has been sold to developers for a new housing estate.

Whilst i don't follow speedway, i do find it sad that the same old story keeps coming up in the news, that all kinds of sports venues across the country are being closed down and sold off to property developers for them to make a quid buck.

WTF is Rye House?

I know Rye is in Sussex but there's also a Peckham Rye train station in Peckham.

Are they also vegan like Forest Green?

I've never heard of it either.

I tried googling it, and it returned a karting circuit in Hertfordshire.

Sad really, that we can't keep an Essex racing team anywhere within the whole county that they represent.

Talking of the Lakeside Hammers, I'm not sure if they will still exist next season, as the Arena Essex Raceway track will close next week after 40 years in operation, as it has been sold to developers for a new housing estate.

Whilst i don't follow speedway, i do find it sad that the same old story keeps coming up in the news, that all kinds of sports venues across the country are being closed down and sold off to property developers for them to make a quid buck.

East Thurrock United is a prime example of that. A friend of mine ( Mr S.R.) is involved. The clubs ground at Rookery Hill is in Corringham. The Thames Gateway project means the land will be sold and is worth over 10 Million pounds. There are a few fighting over this land. It's also erupted into a family feud, with one woman even being ambushed and attacked in the court house toilets by her sister-in-law.

East Thurrock United is a prime example of that. A friend of mine ( Mr S.R.) is involved. The clubs ground at Rookery Hill is in Corringham. The Thames Gateway project means the land will be sold and is worth over 10 Million pounds. There are a few fighting over this land. It's also erupted into a family feud, with one woman even being ambushed and attacked in the court house toilets by her sister-in-law.

Good to know Stewart Robson's still involved in the game,

Back