• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Spirit of the north bank

All that previous chat about the days in the north bank inspired me to have a go at this ..hope you like it!View attachment 24247
I spent a good 25 years, almost a third of my life in the dear old North Bank back in the day. It was at that time almost a religion to be in there especially in the mid to late 60's and all through the 1970's. I will always remember those magical evening matches when you had to be inside that pen behind the goal very early or not at all. Then there was the fans, male and female swaying to and fro, toilet rolls being thrown, the various songs being sung as well as the unforgetable noise made by those at the back banging loudly on the wall on what was and still is made of asbestos, this much to the dismay of the local Constabulary. However the Best (pardon my pun) bit however was always after a goal had been scored in that end and the absolute mayhem that ensued a moment long ago that will never ever be forgotten by all those misty eyed supporters of a certain age who were in there. Just a couple of years ago I was asked by the club to help promote season tickets sales in a video and after we had finished I spent about an hour of my time just sitting in the North Bank around the same spot where I use stand all those years ago. As I closed my eyes to remember those Halcyon Days from over 50 years ago I felt a tear running down my cheek. The North Bank really is not in the best of health these days and may soon be gone forever but I am sure the memories will never ever be forgotten by the hundreds of fans of a certain age who were there. "Thanks for the Memories Chirpy"

I spent a good 25 years, almost a third of my life in the dear old North Bank back in the day. It was at that time almost a religion to be in there especially in the mid to late 60's and all through the 1970's. I will always remember those magical evening matches when you had to be inside that pen behind the goal very early or not at all. Then there was the fans, male and female swaying to and fro, toilet rolls being thrown, the various songs being sung as well as the unforgetable noise made by those at the back banging loudly on the wall on what was and still is made of asbestos, this much to the dismay of the local Constabulary. However the Best (pardon my pun) bit however was always after a goal had been scored in that end and the absolute mayhem that ensued a moment long ago that will never ever be forgotten by all those misty eyed supporters of a certain age who were in there. Just a couple of years ago I was asked by the club to help promote season tickets sales in a video and after we had finished I spent about an hour of my time just sitting in the North Bank around the same spot where I use stand all those years ago. As I closed my eyes to remember those Halcyon Days from over 50 years ago I felt a tear running down my cheek. The North Bank really is not in the best of health these days and may soon be gone forever but I am sure the memories will never ever be forgotten by the hundreds of fans of a certain age who were there. "Thanks for the Memories Chirpy"
What a fantastic message, love it and thank you for sharing your evocative memories of the north bank. My first game was in 1978 and for the following 10 years me and my dad would switch between the west stand and south bank before I eventually succumbed to the lure of the magical north bank (after which, I became a north bank regular) Obviously your experiences of the north bank go way back before my time there so it’s great to have an insight into the atmosphere during the swinging 60’s. I’m chuffed that someone with such north bank experience and who clearly cherishes the place so much has acknowledged my efforts to try and capture it on canvas and to think it has helped to bring your memories to life is just brilliant. And this message applies to all those who have responded so supportively to my spirit of the north bank painting. Utb

I done the same Nobbler,the last time i came over.
Walked from the BELL,to Roots Hall,via Priory Park.Remembering watching Southend train there sometimes. It must have been a thursday coz the market was on.Had a quick halfin the LION then carried on walking to the LAST POST where i had a couple more.On to and along the seafront,then back via the Bus station?? where there is a small Tescos and got myself a pie and a two liter botlle of Tescos best cider.
Back to the LAST POST pint and a pee,then walked to RH and into the North bank.
Like you i sat in the middle,where that "pen" was and thought about those great old days,games mates,mates gone etc.
Was in there about 90 minutes and started huming some of the old North bank songs.
In the end i was sitting there on my own singing some songs quietly .
If anybody had seen me,they would have thought what a sad old geezer...but they would never have understood i was having a good time.
IF/when the North bank does "go", i will come over for our last game at RH and like you and many other "lads and lassies" will cry a few tears.
Hope to come over this year,maybe November,then me and my mate the "two liter bottle of cider" will have another reunion in the "PAK".

What a fantastic message, love it and thank you for sharing your evocative memories of the north bank. My first game was in 1978 and for the following 10 years me and my dad would switch between the west stand and south bank before I eventually succumbed to the lure of the magical north bank (after which, I became a north bank regular) Obviously your experiences of the north bank go way back before my time there so it’s great to have an insight into the atmosphere during the swinging 60’s. I’m chuffed that someone with such north bank experience and who clearly cherishes the place so much has acknowledged my efforts to try and capture it on canvas and to think it has helped to bring your memories to life is just brilliant. And this message applies to all those who have responded so supportively to my spirit of the north bank painting. Utb
Hi Chirby, many thanks for you kind words they are very much appreciated:Thumbs up: However I wanted to add something extra to my original post which I missed out on yesterday:- "The Pak" as it was affectionately known back then by the people who stood in the North Bank was without doubt the ideal place to make new friends and I can say from experience some of those then new friends are still my friends to this very day over 56 years later and we can all often be found in the East Stand on matchdays.⚽💙⚽

Hi Chirby, many thanks for you kind words they are very much appreciated:Thumbs up: However I wanted to add something extra to my original post which I missed out on yesterday:- "The Pak" as it was affectionately known back then by the people who stood in the North Bank was without doubt the ideal place to make new friends and I can say from experience some of those then new friends are still my friends to this very day over 56 years later and we can all often be found in the East Stand on matchdays.⚽💙⚽

Hi Chirby, many thanks for you kind words they are very much appreciated:Thumbs up: However I wanted to add something extra to my original post which I missed out on yesterday:- "The Pak" as it was affectionately known back then by the people who stood in the North Bank was without doubt the ideal place to make new friends and I can say from experience some of those then new friends are still my friends to this very day over 56 years later and we can all often be found in the East Stand on matchdays.⚽💙

It's great to hear that the friendships you forged in the north bank pak all those years ago are still going strong today. 56 years (and counting) of sharing the ups and downs of our wonderful club is something to rejoice. I tend to sit in the bosom of the rose west these days but if I ever venture over to the other side I will try to seek out the 'East Stand Pak' to say hello 👍

Yep,sorry not the LION,but the Spread....think it was 5 years ago??Start of the season i think
Always preferred the Golden Lion to The Spread, think it was an Ind Coope pub?. Main bar at the front, & that small one tucked away at the side.
Next time you come over, announce it beforehand, & i'm sure a few of us 'old un's' (!) can arrange a 'meet'.

Back