• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the Year 2012

SPOTY?

• Total voters
She achieved as much in her field as others did.

And that is a very small (no pun intended) field. Whereas the Olympians plus McIlroy achieved in much wider circles, and as such are far more deserving than someone who can swim quite fast for a dwarf. Sarah Storey also had a very limited field in her category, but probably deserves to be on the list as she is a world-class cyclist in her own right. Weir competes in a stand (again no pun intended) alone sport and deserves his recognition. Yet Simmonds finds herself on the list as a PC token ahead of the likes of Jason Kenny, Laura Trott, Jade Jones, Ian Poulter et al who are far more deserving than her.

Why the lack of Mo love?

Double Olympic champion and arguably the moment of the year.

Have his achievements been so tainted by taking the Branson dirty pound?

The long-jumper should also be on the list ahead of non-sportsmen like golfers.

Why the lack of Mo love?

Double Olympic champion and arguably the moment of the year.

Have his achievements been so tainted by taking the Branson dirty pound?

The long-jumper should also be on the list ahead of non-sportsmen like golfers.

In any normal year he would be. However, it was rated by the athletics experts as possibly the weakest field in an Olympics long jump post Beamon. In fact, Rutherford would only have won Gold (just) in Munich '72.

In any normal year he would be. However, it was rated by the athletics experts as possibly the weakest field in an Olympics long jump post Beamon. In fact, Rutherford would only have won Gold (just) in Munich '72.

I really like that about the long-jump.

It's almost as if the long jump records isn't just a chart of pharmaceutical improvements.

And that is a very small (no pun intended) field. Whereas the Olympians plus McIlroy achieved in much wider circles, and as such are far more deserving than someone who can swim quite fast for a dwarf. Sarah Storey also had a very limited field in her category, but probably deserves to be on the list as she is a world-class cyclist in her own right. Weir competes in a stand (again no pun intended) alone sport and deserves his recognition. Yet Simmonds finds herself on the list as a PC token ahead of the likes of Jason Kenny, Laura Trott, Jade Jones, Ian Poulter et al who are far more deserving than her.

I dont see how you would exclude Simmonds and include Weir to be honest.

Why do you see her as a PC token when they have already included two paralympians already? If its was just a PC show then they have already done enough by including two.

I dont see how you would exclude Simmonds and include Weir to be honest.

Why do you see her as a PC token when they have already included two paralympians already? If its was just a PC show then they have already done enough by including two.

For the reasons I stated. (a) He (Weir) is in a stand alone sport - wheelchair racing; and (b) Storey is world class anyway in an able bodied world. Simmonds isn't either (a0 or (b).

I'm swimming lover.Ellie Simmonds again perform very well in this event.Her form heading into London 2012 is mixed with two golds,a silver and a fourth at the recent British Championships...my favorite...

Who voted for Mo Farrah hes foreign

No he isn't, he only moved to the US to train.

He's still got his British passport and still competes for GB.

He's lived in England for the vast majority of his life, he went to school in England, he speaks English with a London accent, he identifies with England, his wife is English, his kids are English, his father was born in England. He's English.

Well deserved win for Wiggo, as was expected, Ennis second and Murray 3rd. Any other year anyone on the shortlist could have won. Fantastic year.

What I'm surprised about here is the lack of recognition for Ben Ainslie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Ainslie

C'mon, he knocks most of the people on that list into a cocked hat!

Amen OBL. Anyone who dominates their sport the way he has deserves recognition (regardless of their background), he showed the competitive spirit at 2012 that all sportsmen & women must have in order to win and used a wrong to motivate himslef to come back. Ainslie is a big hero of mine, sailing may not grab the headlines as other sports, he's revolutionised the way people sail the smaller boats on the Olympics, and not only to do have to master your opponents but also nature itself. Voted 7 times for him myself (aswell as others inc. Wiggo).

and good luck to him in his aim of being the first brit to win the Americas Cup.

Back