• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sports Personality of the Year

Sports Personality of the Year

• Jess Ennis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sarah Storey

• Jonnie Peacock

• Rory McIlroy

• Greg Rutherford

• Alistair Brownlee

• Jason Kenny

• Tom Daley

• Lewis Hamilton

• Total voters
For me;

Laura Trott: How many Olympian's compete with a collapsed lung and ashtma, let alone double gold winning Olympians. Phenomenal
Bradley Wiggins: TDF and Olympic Gold, plus as YB said, he has captured the public, sideburns everywhere
Alastair Brownlee: The level of fitness and dedication needed to compete at this event is amazing, to win it is something else. The fact that he completed the third leg (10k run) just 83 seconds slower than Mo Farah ran it to win gold as a solo event is incredible.

There are people who will miss out on the top 3 (or even the shortlist) this year who would win any other year, the 2013 SPOTY will probably be pants.

1. Bradley Wiggins
2. Ben Ainslie
3. Sarah Storey or David Weir (can't decide which)

Overseas SPOTY: Natalie Du Toit or Oscar Pistorius

This year does make the previous few years look like complete toilet, and that is only a good thing!

Any of the past 2 or 3 years, Murray would have been nailed on for having finally won a major, but despite also winning an Olympic gold (and silver), and making the final of Wimbledon, he more than likely still won't win.

For achievment and personality, i would say Wiggins, although it could be anyone from about 10 to make the top 3, and all have a fantastic case.

This is how SPOTY is meant to be, and i will definately be watching this year!

Wiggins.

To win the TdF might be the most impressive sporting achievement by a Brit in my lifetime anyway, but he's also cemented his place as one of our great Olympians by winning gold in another discipline and seeing so many out on the roads and at Hampton Court (many sporting Wiggo sideburns) showed just how much he'd captured the public imagination.

Legend.

What he said.

I cant see how anyone could vote for Mo Farrah for his 2 Golds when David Weir managed 4 so it must be Weir or Wiggins for me.

Surely it depends on what the golds are in? For me, Farah is the clear winner in a strong pack. To win 5,000 and 10,000 in the style that he did and against the field that he did makes him a worthy winner. Plus a jolly nice guy as well.

I was considering starting a 'Battle Of' GB's Olympians & Paralympians, but this thread has kind of changed my mind as it would involve playing one off against the other. All GB's medal winners etc have excelled in their field, how can one be said to be better than the other when the events are so different?

unlucky Andy Murray, any other year and he may well have walked it. I would still vote for him btw, but one of the olympic lot will probably win it, one of the paras may spring a surprise but wiggo is probably the one.

It's fair to say that everyone apart from Murray on the 'main' list have achieved their pinnacle. If Murray wins Wimbledon then that will be his

ainsley.jpg

Blame Pubey, I copied it off the poll cos I wasn't sure!!!

Murray for me. He might be a sweaty bell end but he's achieved something unimaginable 20 years ago. If Henman had 10% of the character that Murray has, he would have won this two or three times.

Back