• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

jaffa1

Manager
Dale go to deepest, darkest Essex this weekend, trying to overcome one of our most miserable runs by taking on Southend United.

You have to go back to 1985 to find the last time that Dale came away from Southend victorious. On a Friday night in May, Vic Halom's side had a rich run of form (by their standards) and pulled off a win thanks to goals from Phil Dwyer and Steve Taylor.
The full Dale team that night was Dave Redfern, Peter Robinson, Dave Grant, Ian McMahon, Joe Cooke, Phil Dwyer, Dave Thompson, Barry Diamond, Steve Taylor, Les Chapman, Paul Heaton.
Since then, it's just been one long string of depressing results. The closest to a win came when we found ourselves 3-0 up at half time after three goals in seven minutes, only to blow it in the second half. Dale boss Keith Hill was in the Dale side that day.
Our last eight visits since that 3-3 have seen a return of two draws and six defeats, with just four goals to our credit. But if you want positives, we are at least on an unbeaten run of one game down there.
Given that victory was a Friday night, there wouldn't have been many Dale supporters in attendance at Roots Hall. Were you there?

Only 1,540 at that game. I doubt many Dale fans made the trip.

This was our 3rd in a 4-game losing streak. We came 20th. The only bright spot that season was Steve Inchy Phillips with 23 goals.

If you're looking for omens, then I remember we played them on the day of the Rugby World Cup Final a few years ago, when England had won in the morning (must have been 2003!) We won 4-0 and to cap it off they missed a penalty near the end in front of the South stand, the guy blazing it high over the bar to cheers of "Oh Jonny Jonny, Jonny Jonny Jonny Jonny Wilkinson". Was a good day that!

DCC said:
If you're looking for omens, then I remember we played them on the day of the Rugby World Cup Final a few years ago, when England had won in the morning (must have been 2003!) We won 4-0 and to cap it off they missed a penalty near the end in front of the South stand, the guy blazing it high over the bar to cheers of "Oh Jonny Jonny, Jonny Jonny Jonny Jonny Wilkinson". Was a good day that!
Think that was Tilly's 1st game in charge. I was in Bath that day, probably the most rugby orientated city in England. Needless to say I wasted by 5pm :smile:

Remember that 3-3. They were depressing times. Not sure who was manager, but around the Alvin/Alan Little era. Think Roget popped in the equaliser.

Remember that 3-3. They were depressing times. Not sure who was manager, but around the Alvin/Alan Little era. Think Roget popped in the equaliser.

15 Jan 2000.

goalscorers
Scott HOUGHTON 55
Martin CARRUTHERS 62(pen)
Leo ROGET 85

Manager : Alan Little
Melvyn CAPLETON 1
Martyn BOOTY 2
Nathan JONES 3
David MORLEY 4
Rob NEWMAN 5
Mark BEARD 6
Gordon CONNELLY 7
Mark TINKLER 8
Martin CARRUTHERS 9
Neville ROACH 10
Scott HOUGHTON 11
Substitutes
Leo ROGET 12
Kevin MAHER 13
Trevor FITZPATRICK 14

source: sufcdb

The season Dale last won at Roots Hall was probably an all-time low for Southend United.
Poor squad, pitiful (but loyal) crowds like the 1,540 that evening, scandal around the boardroom and very little trust or goodwill from the area.
Dark, dark, dark days.

2015 is Premier League in comparison.

The season Dale last won at Roots Hall was probably an all-time low for Southend United.
Poor squad, pitiful (but loyal) crowds like the 1,540 that evening, scandal around the boardroom and very little trust or goodwill from the area.
Dark, dark, dark days.

2015 is Premier League in comparison.

Amen to that Kevin.:thumbsup:

Only 1,540 at that game. I doubt many Dale fans made the trip.

This was our 3rd in a 4-game losing streak. We came 20th. The only bright spot that season was Steve Inchy Phillips with 23 goals.

Doesn't having a 20 goal a season striker guarantee promotion though? :hilarious:

Love omens like that DCC, logging onto my Sky Bet a/c now!

Yep was there as well. We then lost our next game which was away to Mansfield where I seem to remember it kicked off with the Police in the away end and we had about 10 fans arrested which considering we had less than 100 there was not a bad effort!!
This left us in real danger of re-election to the Football League only a win on the final day v Torquay would save us this fate. We managed to win 1-0 with a Penalty from Steve Phillips and probably half the 1,704 crowd celebrated wildly on the pitch at the end of the game.

Talking of low crowds the Rochdale v Southend crowd earlier in the 1984/5 season was only 1,040. Other low crowds away that season were 1,120 at Halifax, 1,082 at Torquay, 1,129 at Wrexham, 1,039 at Stockport. Our highest home crowd all season was only 2,942 v Swindon on Boxing Day, even the League game v Colchester was only 2,190. Football really was at about its lowest point ever, lets hope we never go back to those days.

Yep was there as well. We then lost our next game which was away to Mansfield where I seem to remember it kicked off with the Police in the away end and we had about 10 fans arrested which considering we had less than 100 there was not a bad effort!!
This left us in real danger of re-election to the Football League only a win on the final day v Torquay would save us this fate. We managed to win 1-0 with a Penalty from Steve Phillips and probably half the 1,704 crowd celebrated wildly on the pitch at the end of the game.

Talking of low crowds the Rochdale v Southend crowd earlier in the 1984/5 season was only 1,040. Other low crowds away that season were 1,120 at Halifax, 1,082 at Torquay, 1,129 at Wrexham, 1,039 at Stockport. Our highest home crowd all season was only 2,942 v Swindon on Boxing Day, even the League game v Colchester was only 2,190. Football really was at about its lowest point ever, lets hope we never go back to those days.

Wow, never realised we hit such a low point. Must have been grim times indeed.

I posted the following some time but worth resurrecting:

I would like to congratulate all long term Rochdale fans, a shining example to all these glory Premier fans!

1968-69 Rochdale were promoted from Division Four, I was there with Mick, Nobbler and others it was our third trip to Rochdale that season, the first two had been postponed having reached Manchester tthe first time and Rochdale on a Tuesday night before finding out the match was off. The match was re-arranged for about the last match of the season. We lost dismally 3-0 in front of a then record crowd for Rochdale, they were promoted their FIRST ever promotion, we werer condemned to our fourth season in Division Four.

FORTY-ONE YEARS Later in 2010 they were promoted for a SECOND time. Forty-one years without promotion and we're going spare at out third season trying to get promotion.

In all Rochdale have spent 77 of their 85 years in the bottom tier, and fans that can stick with their club with so little respect deserves my utmost respect.

HOWEVER THIS RESPECT ENDS SATURDAY AT 3.00 P.M. OF COURSE!!!!

Last edited:
15 Jan 2000.

goalscorers
Scott HOUGHTON 55
Leo ROGET 85

Melvyn CAPLETON 1
Martyn BOOTY 2
Nathan JONES 3
David MORLEY 4
Rob NEWMAN 5
Mark BEARD 6
Gordon CONNELLY 7
Mark TINKLER 8
Martin CARRUTHERS 9
Neville ROACH 10
Scott HOUGHTON 11
Substitutes
Leo ROGET 12
Kevin MAHER 13
Trevor FITZPATRICK 14

source: sufcdb

there's actually some pretty useful players in there. and some less so

Crowstone Crevette said:
Respect!!!

2003 Final was a breakfast kick off in england.

Impressed you got past lunch time. :clap:
:smile: I did have a couple of hours off during the game (Bath vs Harelquins IIRC)

15 Jan 2000.

goalscorers
Scott HOUGHTON 55
Leo ROGET 85

Melvyn CAPLETON 1
Martyn BOOTY 2
Nathan JONES 3
David MORLEY 4
Rob NEWMAN 5
Mark BEARD 6