• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I am going to call it a tie. Yes, there was a 3 division gap between us and Spurs in that season, but IIRC Spurs had started the season horribly and we were on an unbeaten start, and although they had Gascoigne and Lineker they also had Pat Van Den Hauwe and Terry fukwit in defence.
Although Manchester Untied were only one league above us and didn't play their entire strongest team, the two games are in different generations footballing wise. In 1990 the gulf between top of Div 1 and bottom of Div 2 was nowhere near so vast.
For me they were equally great achievements, though clearly enjoyed the Manchester Untied one more as we actually won the tie.

that Man U line-up is actually better than i remember it being; i'd decided they were playing a couple more youngsters at the back (probably because of the treatment JCR gave to Heinze).

Chelsea away for me deserves to be listed with these performances as well. ok, it was a Scolari-era Chelsea, and we didn't win, but not many teams have come away from Stamford Bridge with a result in the past few years and they had close to a full-strength team out (and we had Osei and Herd as full-backs!)

Chelsea:
C. Cudicini, P. Ferreira, R. Carvalho, B. Ivanovic, A. Cole, J. Belletti, F. Lampard, J. Mikel, J. Cole (F. Di Santo, 84), S. Kalou (S. Sinclair, 87), D. Drogba
Subs not used: L. Sawyer, Hilario, C. Mineiro, N. Anelka, M. Mancienne

Southend:
S. Mildenhall, O. Sankofa, P. Clarke, A. Barrett, J. Herd, A. Grant, J-F. Christophe (F. Moussa, 74), A. McCormack , J. Stanislas, L. Barnard (F. Laurent, 75), A. Revell (D. Freedman, 75)
Subs not used: K. Betsy, S. Francis, S. O'Keefe, I. Joyce

Derby at home in 87 was a win that made the sports pages overseas as well! They had a great team - Shilton, Mark Wright...

If you are throughing in other games Everton away we should of won, how we never scored I dont know!!!
Great game and I went as the famous Leo the lion! (First ever southend mascot!!)

If you are throughing in other games Everton away we should of won, how we never scored I dont know!!!
Great game and I went as the famous Leo the lion! (First ever southend mascot!!)

Unfortunately at that time they had the Neville Southall that was one of the world's greatest keepers. Sadly the Neville Southall we signed was one of the world's greatest eaters.

Id imagine the line up for that Everton game though would have been up there with the classic ultimate line ups from the Webb era and would beat most other teams from any other era........not sure of the exact line up, (am sure someone can post it) but it no doubt was something along lines of Sansome, Austin, Powell, Prior, Scully, Ansah Jones (had he signed by then?) Martin Tilson, Angell Benjamin.........the midfielders were a bit interchangable (Butler, Cornwall, Sussex etc had runs in the side) but the other positions were remarkable consistent....

Unfortunately at that time they had the Neville Southall that was one of the world's greatest keepers. Sadly the Neville Southall we signed was one of the world's greatest eaters.

Id imagine the line up for that Everton game though would have been up there with the classic ultimate line ups from the Webb era and would beat most other teams from any other era........not sure of the exact line up, (am sure someone can post it) but it no doubt was something along lines of Sansome, Austin, Powell, Prior, Scully, Ansah Jones (had he signed by then?) Martin Tilson, Angell Benjamin.........the midfielders were a bit interchangable (Butler, Cornwall, Sussex etc had runs in the side) but the other positions were remarkable consistent....

FA Cup Third Round - 4th January 1992
Attendance: 22, 606

Southend United: P Sansome, D. Austin, C. Powell, K. Jones, P. Scully, S. Prior, A. Ansah, J. Cornwell, S. Tilson, I, Benjamin, B. Angell. Manager: David Webb.

Everton: N. Southall, M. Jackson, A. Harper, J Ebbrell, D. Watson, M. Keown, R Warzycha, P. Beardsley, M. Johnston, M. Ward, P. Beagrie. Manager: Howard Kendall.

Don't forget Spurs played a large proportion of the game with 10 men. We had McDonough send off, but that was with about 2 minutes to go.

I can still see Crown's shot that hit the inside of the post and came out. If that had gone in I would have fainted!

Back