• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

rabbloke

Coach
I think I am right in saying that Tilly has talked of a squad of 22 being the aim. That is scant and with only 19 currently employed, some of which have not recommitted as yet, it leaves at least three transfers in required. Yeovil have a squad of 25 including three new signings already and the prospect of more to come. Scunthorpe have 23 including 2 new signings and Swansea have 25 including 1 new signing. If the club have aspirations we should at least be able to compete with a club the size of Yeovil. I cant help feeling 22 gives you little room for manouvre when injuries, suspensions and dips in individuals form come in to the reckoning. We do not appear to have enough young guns coming through to bolster the number. I know we got away with it last season but the strain could be seen in the side and showed in some of the latter performances. Can we get away with it again?
rock.gif

At least the league are allowing loan players to join squads outside of the transfer window. Gives clubs room for situations like you have just mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ June 29 2005,10:26)]At least the league are allowing loan players to join squads outside of the transfer window. Gives clubs room for situations like you have just mentioned.
You may recall a lengthy spell last season when Tilly told us he had loanees lined up and then they refused to come. I am not sure we can go with a wing and a prayer again. I, like many, trust Tilly but that was because he was successful. How much of that success was good fortune and when does lady luck stop smiling? The injuries and suspensions last season did not stop us but only by the skin of our teeth.

But didn't Tilly say a few months ago, like everyone else, that because of the introduction of the transfer windows, squad sizes will have to be bigger?

So why now are we going to have one of the smallest squads in the division?

rock.gif

A lot can happen between now and August 6th, I'm sure we'll have a reasonably-sized squad by the big kick-off. CHILL OUT EVERYONE
tounge.gif

By August 6th we will have a decent sqaud capabl e of coping in League 1, it takes time to make the right choices, I'd rather time was taken to make the right choices than rushing into the wrong ones.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ June 29 2005,10:36)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ June 29 2005,10:26)]At least the league are allowing loan players to join squads outside of the transfer window. Gives clubs room for situations like you have just mentioned.
You may recall a lengthy spell last season when Tilly told us he had loanees lined up and then they refused to come.
But we are now a league higher so will be able to attract the young Premier$hite/Championship players on loan much easier than last season. With a small squad these palyers will also see more of an oppurtunity of cementing their place in the side rather than coming for one game to replace a suspended player then sitting on the bench for the rest of the loan period.

I think we need at least 2 signings by the beginning of the season preferablly in the next 2 weeks so they are here and taking part in pre season training.

When is the transfer deadline for permanent signings?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rabbloke @ June 29 2005,10:36)]
[b said:
You may recall a lengthy spell last season when Tilly told us he had loanees lined up and then they refused to come. I am not sure we can go with a wing and a prayer again. I, like many, trust Tilly but that was because he was successful. How much of that success was good fortune and when does lady luck stop smiling? The injuries and suspensions last season did not stop us but only by the skin of our teeth.
Wasn't that when we were looking for a goalkeeper to sit on the bench whilst Bart was injured? Once Darryl was suspended, we had no problem getting someone in on loan because the offer of first choice football was there.

Again, when Maher was suspended, we managed to get McCourmack in because they would get some first team football. If we require loans during the course of the season, and we can offer first choice football, I'm sure we'll have no problem getting the required players in.

If I may be so bold to make a prediction

1) Griemink
2) Hunt
3) Wilson
4) Bentley
5) Prior
6) Barrett
7) Gower
8) Maher
9) Eastwood
10) Gray
11) Pettefer
12) Flahavan
13) Edwards
14) Smith
15) Jupp
16) Nicolau

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ June 29 2005,14:39)]If I may be so bold to make a prediction

1) Griemink
2) Hunt
3) Wilson
4) Bentley
5) Prior
6) Barrett
7) Gower
8) Maher
9) Eastwood
10) Gray
11) Pettefer
12) Flahavan
13) Edwards
14) Smith
15) Jupp
16) Nicolau
Given that you are being serious (who ever knows eh!?), then as last season, Tilly for some bizarre reason, chose not to give the strikers for example, No 9 & 10, so he'll probably stick to that. Although I myself would like us to go back to tradition because I still can't get used to the likes of Bentley being No9 and Pettefer No10!

Freddy will demand one of those numbers, surely, and a 6 figure striker will want one of them aswell.

1) Flahavan
2) Jupp
3) New Left back, or Che if we dont get one
4) Hunt
5) Prior
6) Barrett
7) Gower
8) Maher
9) Freddy
10) 6 Figure Striker
11) Nicolau
12) Pettefer
13) Barty G
14) Gray
15) Edwards

o crap ive missed out Beno, i give up
tounge.gif

Ive decided im more worried about the players we have, ad they can do what they want with the numbers.

Who wants number 72
tounge.gif

Back