• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Know we havent had that many new faces yet, but it sounds like the squad numbers could be announced soon.

1. Morris
2. Clohessey
3. Gilbert
4. Ferdinand
5. Phillips
6. Mohsni
7. Grant
8. Ndiaye
9. Harris
10. Corr
11. Sawyer
12. Hall
13. Bentley
14. JJ
15. Coughlan
16. Prosser
19. Asante
20. Crawford
21. Blair Witch
23. Barker

??

Yea, kinda a pointless thread when the real numbers were released 5 minutes later!

Cannot understand Hall at 4 - apparently he asked for it, but dont know why.

And least I got JJ right :)

**OFFICIAL SQUAD NUMBERS**

1. Morris
2. Clohessey
3. Gilbert
4. Hall
5. Coughlan
6. Mohsni
7. Grant
8. Ndiaye
9. Harris
10. Corr
11. Sawyer
12. Ferdinand
14. Johnson
15. Phillips
16. Prosser
17. Bentley
20. Crawford
21. Sturrock
23. Barker
25. Nesbitt
28. Asante
30. Woodyard

Last edited:
Paterson on his way out then going by that. On tour with Oxford so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go now.

Probably mentioned elsewhere.....but what's happened to Merrick J-L?

No Stevens....did he not sign a Pro deal?

Della Verde?

Stevens signed a development contract until the end of the season. I guess he'll go out on loan.

Della-Verde should sign a pro deal when he turns 17 in Jan.

Have to say, looking down that list it doesn't look like a bad squad for league 2 does it. I reckon there's 16 odd players there that wouldn't weaken the team if they played (at least in their recognised position). Will certainly give us a stronger bench and better injury cover.

You'd have to say if that squad isn't at least in the playoffs something has gone badly wrong!

Looking at that squad all written down has burst the bubble somewhat. Not as optomistic as I was before hand, don't really know why.

Probably becuase its only 22 players deep, 3 of which are youngsters. I think we will be crying out for loan players again by October.

The squad is still a little thin as there is a few youngsters in that list but I dont think our business is done in this window. A lot will depend on when we can flog Matt Paterson.

Defence looks really ropey to me. Attack looks really good.

this is one of the wonders of football----opinions, I think a back 4 of clohessey moshni barker and gilbert is very good, clohessey with a full pro pre season behind him will only be better this season, do you think theres many better CB pairings in league 2 than moshni (non mentalist) and barker, even gilbert (who i slated last season) showed a slice of what he could really do. Phillips as back up at CB isnt too bad either, i will concede back up for full backs is lacking

Fill in the Gaps. I'll start with the obvious.....

**OFFICIAL SQUAD NUMBERS**

1. Morris
2. Clohessey
3. Gilbert
4. Hall
5. Coughlan
6. Mohsni
7. Grant
8. Ndiaye
9. Harris
10. Corr
11. Sawyer
12. Ferdinand
14. Johnson
15. Phillips
16. Prosser
17. Bentley
20. Crawford
21. Sturrock
23. Barker
24. Eastwood
25. Nesbitt
28. Asante
30. Woodyard

this is one of the wonders of football----opinions, I think a back 4 of clohessey moshni barker and gilbert is very good, clohessey with a full pro pre season behind him will only be better this season, do you think theres many better CB pairings in league 2 than moshni (non mentalist) and barker, even gilbert (who i slated last season) showed a slice of what he could really do. Phillips as back up at CB isnt too bad either, i will concede back up for full backs is lacking

Well... My thinking behind the comment as follows.

This is basically the same defence that lead us to the dizzy heights of what 13th last season. The only defensive change so far was the loss of Easton for N'Dyaie. Other than that I can't see what's different.

Barker is a class act but short of that I feel question marks remain over all the others. Moshni is as bad as he is good, Clohessey is a great athlete but I think he is a weak defender and very one dimensional, Phillips spent all last season injured as he has done half his career I'm sure he could be good but I fear we will never see it.

Gilbert was woeful last season and got roasted a few times and Prosser I just can't see any redeeming features in.

We have no natural right back cover and a totally untested left back unless you move Barker which weakens the defence.

I do hope I'm wrong here but I would be surprised.

Well... My thinking behind the comment as follows.

This is basically the same defence that lead us to the dizzy heights of what 13th last season. The only defensive change so far was the loss of Easton for N'Dyaie. Other than that I can't see what's different.

Barker is a class act but short of that I feel question marks remain over all the others. Moshni is as bad as he is good, Clohessey is a great athlete but I think he is a weak defender and very one dimensional, Phillips spent all last season injured as he has done half his career I'm sure he could be good but I fear we will never see it.

Gilbert was woeful last season and got roasted a few times and Prosser I just can't see any redeeming features in.

We have no natural right back cover and a totally untested left back unless you move Barker which weakens the defence.

I do hope I'm wrong here but I would be surprised.

I totally agree with the above. Barker is IMO a class above anyone else at the club. Him aside there is potential in Mohsni who could be immense, but he certainly isn't yet. Gilbert has certainly not impressed and I can't see him dramatically turning into what we are looking for. For me shifting Barker to LB is insanity. Nesbitt could have potential at LB, maybe he should be given a run at LB to start with...hopefully he could be the new Chris Powell not the new Johnny Herd.

Defence looks really ropey to me. Attack looks really good.

I'm glad its not just me that has noticed this.

Our first choice back 4 of Gilbert Moshni Barker Clohessy is not to shabby at this level. However in my opinion we do not then have the same strength in depth should any of these players get injured.

I was a big critic of Graham Coughlan at the start of last season as he seemed far too slow and off the pace and whilst you could tell he once was a fairly solid centre half it all just seemed a bit much for him now. However, as the season went on our reliance on him became greater due to injuries and suspensions to Moshni and fairplay to him he put in some great performances. It must be said though, still at times, particularly away from home, the obvious lack of pace of both GC and Chris Barker was exposed and it was only a matter of time before teams with a nippy front man took advantage of this.

I think GC is a great squad player and appears to be doing well in his other roles as reserve team coach and assisting Paul Sturrock. However he really needs to be around 5th or 6th choice centre back and IMO we need extra cover.

Mark Phillips the jury is still out on. I don't believe I saw him play last year but I bet I'm not the only Southend fan to say that. He may be the answer if he can stay injury free and the issue in defence is not as bad (IMO) if Moshni stays fit. Coughlan and Moshni or Barker and Moshni are good combos but pairing the two old guys together leaves us exposed.

How Luke Prosser got another deal I'll never know. I'd have personally signed a first choice left-back with Gilbert as cover and a squad player centre half and then hope that Granty or a loan player could fill in for Clohessy should he be out.

Thoughts?

Back