• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Statues

Sir Ron Martin - holding a bottle of his favourite hair conditioner.:clap:

A statue of RM as the black and white picture of him on the official site whenever he speaks.

Duncan Jupp's celebration of his goal at the Millenium Stadium would be brilliant.

Serious options would be Tilly for his acheivements both as a player and manager...

Pictures in a Museum for me (From '93 onwards) would include Sir Stan aloft on fans shoulders in his pants, Swansea away promotion celebrations, Juppy at Millenium, Freddy against the Mancs and Maybe the players going wild after scoring away at Col Ewe during the title winning campaign (3-0)

If only Alex Ferguson went into a rage, quit, and stormed out of Roots Hall, leaving the players to pick up their own kit, we would then have a picture that'd be world famous.

Of course things like that never happen in football. Certainly not in Southend. Definitely not today either.

I think you left a comma out; of course we are not watching Colchester !

Maybe MtS was having a go at their attendances? We all know no-one watches Col Ewe.

I have been watching the blues since 1947. This moment also stands out for me alongside Duncan Jupp's goal at Cardiff and Fredy Eastwood's against Manchester United. I am pleased to say that I witnessed all 3 events.

Above all the incident that really stands out for me did not, I am afraid, result in a goal for us, and thus wouldn't qualify for a statue. It was Bert Trautman's miraculous save from Roy Hollis in the mud that was Roots Hall in its opening season.

It's good to get someone's perspective who has seen so much of our club's history, especially as so far most of the suggestions have been from this last decade.

Does not the 1980/81 season have any iconic images and no heroes that need to immortalised?

statueron.jpg

then again.......... maybe not

I'd have two. Oliver Trigg, the founding father of Southend United, and Sid Broomfield. Without these two we probably wouldn't have a club within the borough to support. I suggest that once the diggers are on site the good mods of Shrimperzone set up a SERIOUS poll of it's members to get a definitive choice and also, in conjunction with the Shrimpers Trust, lobby the club to actually get these two great men the recognition they both deserve.

Phil

Back