• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Stephen Humphrys

Saw the RFS v Hearts Europa conference league game a few weeks ago and was disappointed he only came on as a sub with about ten minutes to go so didn't see much of him. Had one shot blocked and Hearts second goal right at the end was a breakaway in which he was involved, if only as a decoy.

I was up in Scotland at the weekend and went to the Kilmarnock-Hearts match. I thought Humphrys cut a peripheral figure in the first half when he was stationed out on the right flank and when he did pick up the ball he was too easily dispossessed. Once Hearts went 2-0 down they moved him into a more central role and he took his goal really well and was generally more involved. He could’ve scored earlier as well, steering a shot across the face of goal.

Didn't realise he'd moved from his dream move to Wigan. Hadn't paid much attention how he got on but after a quick google search I noticed he only scored 5 goals in 40 games which he why I guess Wigan moved him on.

Only 12 of those 40 appearances were starts in fairness to Humphrys.

I do think he lacks that real inner determination and hunger to succeed at the higher level of the game though. Losing games doesn't hurt him enough. As long as he scores and gets the adulation from the fans, then that is enough for him.
He has loads of ability and is two footed...there is a lot to work with.

Last edited:
Didn't realise he'd moved from his dream move to Wigan. Hadn't paid much attention how he got on but after a quick google search I noticed he only scored 5 goals in 40 games which he why I guess Wigan moved him on.
He didn't get a consistent run of games at Wigan and he would play well and then be dropped, or come on for a cameo in a match where he couldn't really affect things.

Remember that last season Wigan were at the top of League 1 without getting much from Humphrys, so I think the best thing for him is to establish himself at a good L1 club and hopefully take them to promotion, he's just as talented as he's always been but he is at the age now where he needs to establishing himself, and breaking into a Championship is going to be a struggle. Seems like he's getting used to life at Hearts at the moment, the Scottish Premiership could be good place for him given he's strong and quick. He's never been the best with his back to goal.

Only 12 of those 40 appearances were starts in fairness to Humphrys.

I do think he lacks that real inner determination and hunger to succeed at the higher level of the game though. Losing games doesn't hurt to enough. As long as he scores and gets the adulation from the fans, then that is enough for him.
He has loads of ability and is two footed...there is a lot to work with.
I watched him in a pre-season friendly this summer and he really did lack motivation, I think he struggles when it's not in the starting line-up, and rather than using that as motivation to work harder and take his chance, he loses a bit of confidence, and he missed a fair few chances last season (I have a season ticket at Wigan) that I expect he was pretty disappointed with.

Saw this game on TV. He hit the post in the first minute and shot narrowly wide later. Looked sharp throughout and had a couple of typical head-down bulldozing runs as well.

I really liked him when he was here. There's a really good championship striker in there if he wants it.
100%. I didn't see Freddie's debut but I did see his at Bradford and with a bullet at No. 1, I can't see anyone else beating it. I can't fathom ever seeing a more gifted player for us, either. What a talent.

Playing for Hearts at Hamilton tonight in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final….and has scored the opener!

Last edited:
Back