• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Steven Hammell?

I thought the entire back 4 were fantastic - enough said. Francis had a shaky first 10 but after that was outstanding, got caught out once by the corner flag but got back to rectify his own mistake brilliantly. With Clarke or Sodje (or maybe even both depending on what Tilly wants to do) to come in too we're looking extremely solid defensively and thats likely to see us easily safe from relegation this season. Hammell was tremendous.

Bradbury was also magnificent and will hopefully be the regular stand-in for Ricketts and Eastwood, I was always confident that once he'd got a few games under his belt up front again he'd be a real asset - and I'd put him well ahead of Paynter in the pecking order, he impressed me about as much as I said to Draft Shrimper he would before the game....and that wasn't a lot!! I'm sure in time he'll do OK for us but I really can't understand this signing, for £200k I'd expect a much better class of player. I just wish we'd gone back in for Agogo or someone else rumoured from L1.

With signing Paynter I think Tilly is looking for something different up front. We don't need another striker who will get 20 goals we already have that with Freddy. If he could chip in with around 10 goals this season I would be happy.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (smith southend shrimper @ Aug. 06 2006,01:46)]With signing Paynter I think Tilly is looking for something different up front. We don't need another striker who will get 20 goals we already have that with Freddy. If he could chip in with around 10 goals this season I would be happy.
smile.gif
exactly. paynter is here to offer something totally different that the other strikers. he is a true target man who will put himself about and cause the oppositions defence a rather large headache. bradbury and ricketts don't do this, so it will give tilly something else to consider.

It was refreshing to see both full backs bringing the ball out of defence and carrying it forward and thus bringing Maher and Gutts into the game.

Thought both of them had very good games.

The biggest mistake people on here make is confusing Composed with "I Don't Give a crap attitude". People do the same when criticising Rio Ferdinand.

Francis was superb yesterday. Looked extremely composed and settled and Rarely made a mistake, and when he did made the effort to backtrack and recover. Hammell was class as well, keeping Chadwick at bay until his unfortunate injury/problem and has a sweet left foot. Played some balls down the line that were a different class.

I thought both francis and hammel were superb yesterday. both good tacklers who like to get forward whenever possible. Although hammel did start off slowly, which could of been nerves, after 15 minutes he was in the game and showed what he can do with some bursting runs forwards, very good set peices and good tackles. however his distribution at times was poor but that this was the minority not majority and with every game i think we shall see what a star this guy will be. As for Francis again jus like hammel - a hard tackler who likes to help up down the wing when he can. one sticky moment when 'ming the merciless' managed to get past him but recovered well and put in a superb challange. I think both hammel and francis are going to be stars at this club just give them more time to get even better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (smith southend shrimper @ Aug. 06 2006,01:46)]With signing Paynter I think Tilly is looking for something different up front. We don't need another striker who will get 20 goals we already have that with Freddy. If he could chip in with around 10 goals this season I would be happy.
smile.gif
I think thats definately true, but I honestly don't think we'll find anyone better at playing that role than Lee Bradbury.

I read Tilly in the NOTW saying that he still wants to bring in another striker. I don't get it, to be honest. I think we've got more than enough up front.

I thought Hammell was superb yesterday. Would have been my man of match but I felt Bradbury shaded it. His holding up of the ball was excellent and allowed us to keep the ball whilst we pushed up from Stokes attacks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ Aug. 06 2006,12:00)]
[b said:
smile.gif
I think thats definately true, but I honestly don't think we'll find anyone better at playing that role than Lee Bradbury.

I read Tilly in the NOTW saying that he still wants to bring in another striker. I don't get it, to be honest. I think we've got more than enough up front.
i can understand tilly wanting to get another striker..

last season we had:

shaun goater
freddy
wayne gray
lawson
bradbury

we have replaced the goat with paynter, so still need someone who can fill grays boots (i would expect someone youngish with bags of pace). i also think lawson will play a bigger role this year but we need someone who could definitely be pushing for the starting 11 now, not in the future

Eastwood
Bradbury
Paynter
Lawson
Ricketts

Obviously we're screwed if Freddy gets injured, but presuming that he stays fit then I don't see where any nrew signing fits in.

Hammell looke good i thought, he had a strong performance considering its his first league game in England, his bound to be nervous. goodluck to the guy i think he will be a great asset.

yeah when i was typing that i knew i had forgotten someone. maybe 1 more is a bit excessive but none of them are pacey forwards (although freddy isnt slow by any stretch), so maybe tilly wants to increase the quick options in our squad, only JCR is a quick player and we have already seen what damage he can do with his pace

I think we need a bit of pace up top. That is probably a reason why we're going for another striker. We don't have that at the moment. I'm quite happy we're going for another one myself.

As for Hammell, I think he'll take a little while to adjust but he'll come good. That free kick he hit in the first half was going in if it didn't catch the top of the wall! I was right behind it. Francis is already there and I can't quite believe the whining on here about him. The guy is gonna be a star.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jontosh2001 @ Aug. 06 2006,12:26)]yeah when i was typing that i knew i had forgotten someone.  maybe 1 more is a bit excessive but none of them are pacey forwards (although freddy isnt slow by any stretch), so maybe tilly wants to increase the quick options in our squad, only JCR is a quick player and we have already seen what damage he can do  with his pace
Just beat me to it!

Got to agree with the point though. As soon as JCR went off we lost a lot of attacking edge and couldn't break as quickly. Anyone else read the rubbish in the NOTW though? Were they there? The ratings they gave were just ridiculous. JCR only got a 4, yet despite being quite quiet for him, Freddy got a 9 and Bradbury only got a 6. They gave the Stoke front two 4's as well, and I thought they caused us some trouble.

Lawson has alot of pace if you saw him in pre-season he has improved by miles. Aswell as scoring in pre-season. Cole also has alot of pace and is working harder then what he did last season. i mean just look at the goal he scored against Col******r running from the halfway line. So we do have some pace. yeah i saw the NOTW Bradbury i thought played better then Eastwood (not saying Eastwood didn;t play well) and JCR looked great in the first half. Bring on tuesday!!
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 06 2006,12:30)]Anyone else read the rubbish in the NOTW though? Were they there? The ratings they gave were just ridiculous. JCR only got a 4, yet despite being quite quiet for him, Freddy got a 9 and Bradbury only got a 6. They gave the Stoke front two 4's as well, and I thought they caused us some trouble.
The Times ******* all over Freddy too. If we assume that at some point in the next twelve months he will probably move on, it can only be good news for increasing his stock but I'd be very surprised if anyone on here would have rated his performance over that of Bradbury. Definitely wasn't a bad performance by Freddy by any stretch but I thought that was par for Freddy rather than his outstanding best.

I think Gower was the pick of their midfield which I can understand in a way because he did play well but personally, Guttridge all the way.

Anyway, unless they get serious reporters covering our games then no-one's going to break this tried and tested method of focusing on the team's best player!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 06 2006,12:27)]. Francis is already there and I can't quite believe the whining on here about him. The guy is gonna be a star.
smile.gif
Ive only actually seen him the once, didnt go the the friendlies so my assesment of him is only based on the one game.

Defensively he looked sound, for me it was his distribution first half that let him down. Gave the ball away a few times and too many hopefull punts forward.

Certainly didnt think he was a bad player though and bearing in mind his age and the fact it was his first game he should be a decent player for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Aug. 05 2006,21:35)]I agree with that, Francis looked either short of confidence or lacking in motivation. Might just be laid back.

He gave the ball away quite a bit and his punts forward did look like he didnt care where it would end up as long as it was away from him.

The guy is young though and we need to give him time to settle before throwing cabbages at him.
I cant beleive what I am reading.

Francis was superb all game. How many saving tackles did he make. Covered Prior time after time and oozed class on the ball. I havent seen a better right back since Dean Austin.

Hammell started a bit shaky and I think needs a few gammes but got in a few good tackles.

Both seem great sigings to me. I am delighted with both.

DtS
rock.gif

Back