• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Now I'm really optimistic.  I know that we should beat East Thurrock handsomely, but then we should also beat teams like Burnham, Maldon, Heybridge Swifts etc and I don't remember us handing out any pre-season thrashings in the recent past to any of those (or other non league teams come to think of it!).

Looking at the squad, there is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be in the comfort zone, which I think has been the case over the last few years.  Look at the players who can play in the different positions to appreciate the depth of quality we now have (I've deliberately excluded the current triallists);

Goalkeepers

Griemink and Flahavan.  

Right back

Jupp, Hunt, Wilson, Williams

Left back

Nicolau, Wilson

Centre halves

Edwards, Barrett, Hunt

Wide midfielders

Gower, Corbett, Pettefer, Bramble, Husbands, Kightly, Bentley, Nicolau

Central midfielders

M aher, Bentley, Smith, Bryan, Pettefer, Corbett

Strikers

Dudfield,  G ray, Broughton, Bramble, Husbands, Corbett

This is before we bring people like Prior, Judge and Surey into the equation.

Now let's assume we are even more unlucky with injuries than we were last year.  We could still field a side as follows;

Flahavan

Williams            Hunt              Barrett       Wilson

Pettefer           Bryan          Corbett          Husbands

Broughton           Bramble

There are 2 unknowns there (Williams and Bryan) but apart from that there are 6 or 7 there who would have been in serious contention for first choice last season.  

So what could we do with the following team then?

Griemink

Jupp             Edwards             Hunt         Nicolau

Gower           M aher                Bentley      Pettefer      

Dudfield        G ray

Possibly add Prior and Smith in (if and when available)

The thing is, there are lots of possible permutations and partnerships that would all work equally well. What central midfield  would be best for instance; Maher/Smith, Maher/Bentley or Bentley/Smith?  What about strikers?  Dudfield/ G ray, Broughton/ G ray, Bramble/Corbett, Broughton/Corbett, Bramble/ G ray...

Centre backs - lets say Prior now as well - Edwards/Barrett, Edwards/Prior, Barrett/Prior, Edwards/Hunt, Prior/Hunt, Barrett/Hunt...

The main point is that the spine of the team is now absolutely AWESOME!  I don't know about anyone else but I'd be happy with any of those partnerships mentioned above.  The wide players almost pick themselves but it was the spine that was very flawed last year... although no-one seemed to know it!

I think I'll pop down the bookies... 33/1 is a cracking each way bet I think!

Bring it on!!

I was having the same conversation yesterday that tilly/brush seem to have amassed a decent squad which has competition for places.

Its all sooooo exciting but then i have to get back to reality and realise that being a Southend fan is about getting sucked in to the hype, the hope and the beleiving that its our year only to be kicked in the bollox. Although this year i have a good feeling about things(im sure i said the same thing last year  
biggrin.gif
)

Take a deep breath, relax... and watch the season unfold before your very eyes!

The best partnership of all of them hasn't even been mentioned!

Tilson & Brush
rock.gif

since we got relegated i have said 'it'll be our year' at the start of every season but looking at this years squad and with an sufc FAN in charge i reckon we will make the play offs 4 sure.we play with a bit of pride nowdays,something which has been lacking for years

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elmo putney @ July 19 2004,14:16)]since we got relegated i have said 'it'll be our year' at the start of every season but looking at this years squad and with an sufc FAN in charge i reckon we will make the play offs 4 sure.we play with a bit of pride nowdays,something which has been lacking for years
wink.gif
Let's see what happens!
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 19 2004,14:21)]We'll finish 15th.
You said 17th in another thread?
tounge.gif

Next week, it'll be 13th then...
laugh.gif
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ July 19 2004,14:25)]I bet you by the end of the season he'll get it spot on.
wink.gif
Yes, I bet that too.

I'll bet anyone who wants to bet that after the last game of the season I'll be able to tell you exactly where we will have finished.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ July 19 2004,14:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SoC @ July 19 2004,14:25)]I bet you by the end of the season he'll get it spot on.
wink.gif
Yes, I bet that too.

I'll bet anyone who wants to bet that after the last game of the season I'll be able to tell you exactly where we will have finished.
bet you can't...

Back