• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Strike" force

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Maybe I'm wrong but I reckon we have the weakest strikers in the division overall. I really cannot see any of them getting more than half a dozen this season.

Someone convince me I'm wrong...please!

Maybe I'm wrong but I reckon we have the weakest strikers in the division overall. I really cannot see any of them getting more than half a dozen this season.

Someone convince me I'm wrong...please!

You're wrong.

There, does that help?

The loss of Freddy Eastwood is a big blow and unless we can sign an established striker before the end of the month I think we will struggle to score as many goals as last year. I am not impressed with Harrold or Foran as neither seem natural goal-scorers, Hooper could do the job with a decent run in the team, Paynter I don't think will score more than about 10 goals and Macdonald is new and from what I have seen I am un-decided.

Not sure we have the weakest at all, Id like to know who teams like Yeovil and Cheltenham have.

What we have are Harrold, Paynter and Bradbury all of which could be useful foils, and Macdonald and Hooper who may be able to get goals.

Until they are given a chance, and not just one game where we had 10 men, we wont know.

An established forward would be great, but as per every other striker thread thats not as straight forward as it sounds.

Eastwood has left us spoilt and with overly high expectations....

I think thats a bit strong- look at a team like Swindon or Carlisle, much worse off in my opinion. What we do have is 3 strikers of a similar ilk (Bradders, Harrold, Paynter), there to hold the ball up and be a targetman. Cant see any of them getting more than 5 goals each. Then we have 3 smaller strikers- Macdonald, Hoops and Foran who have hardly played in this league (in fact 2 have played mainly non league). I find it strange considering Brush said that the problem last season was that we had too many players of the same type, that this hasnt really been addressed. No pace in the forward line, no player who can drop deep and skip past defenders. Very little proven experience or goalscoring pedgiree. Gonna be a long season without a proven goalscorer.

Not sure we have the weakest at all, Id like to know who teams like Yeovil and Cheltenham have.

What we have are Harrold, Paynter and Bradbury all of which could be useful foils, and Macdonald and Hooper who may be able to get goals.

Until they are given a chance, and not just one game where we had 10 men, we wont know.

An established forward would be great, but as per every other striker thread thats not as straight forward as it sounds.

Eastwood has left us spoilt and with overly high expectations....

When will people admit - what we've got isn't good enough!!
Harrold, Paynter and Bradbury will not get us anywhere. None of them have ever convinced me they can score goals regularly!! It’s a shame because a proven striker is the only missing piece in getting us back up!!! Without it, forget the Championship!!

I think thats a bit strong- look at a team like Swindon or Carlisle, much worse off in my opinion. What we do have is 3 strikers of a similar ilk (Bradders, Harrold, Paynter), there to hold the ball up and be a targetman. Cant see any of them getting more than 5 goals each. Then we have 3 smaller strikers- Macdonald, Hoops and Foran who have hardly played in this league (in fact 2 have played mainly non league). I find it strange considering Brush said that the problem last season was that we had too many players of the same type, that this hasnt really been addressed. No pace in the forward line, no player who can drop deep and skip past defenders. Very little proven experience or goalscoring pedgiree. Gonna be a long season without a proven goalscorer.

For the record Foran is 6 foot 1 (the same height as Harrold). He is also taller than either Bradbury or Paynter

I don't class Paynter as a targetman either, his game is totally different to Bradbury's.

foran is probably our best header in the team... he is excellent in the air from what i've seen and has a great leap on him. that's why i wouldn't mind seeing him up front, at least in the pre-season but i think it's too late now and he pretty woeful shooting means tilly sees him as a winger

foran is probably our best header in the team... he is excellent in the air from what i've seen and has a great leap on him. that's why i wouldn't mind seeing him up front, at least in the pre-season but i think it's too late now and he pretty woeful shooting means tilly sees him as a winger

Wasnt he good in the air for one game, the crystal palace one when he was up against a short fullback ?

Ive not seen him win a lot of headers otherwise.

It’s a shame because a proven striker is the only missing piece in getting us back up!!! Without it, forget the Championship!!

Which is exactly what the other 20 or so teams in the division are lacking.

Proven strikers who we can afford and would want to play for us dont grow on trees.

I think our best bet is to try and draw every game 0-0 and hope 45 points is enough for survival.

When will people admit - what we've got isn't good enough!!
Harrold, Paynter and Bradbury will not get us anywhere. None of them have ever convinced me they can score goals regularly!! It’s a shame because a proven striker is the only missing piece in getting us back up!!! Without it, forget the Championship!!

A "proven" striker isn't necessarily going to score you any more goals than an unproven one. We have two unproven goalscorers in our squad in Hooper & MacDonald and for all any of us know one of them will score 20 goals this season. They may not too, but then that would also be the case for any striker that we bring in.

You say that Harrold, Bradbury & Paynter won't score five at this level, but Harrold & Paynter both have track records at this level that suggest that they are each capable of double-figures if they end up playing a decent number of games. Plus Bradbury scored more than that at a higher level last year despite missing almost half the season through injury.

Cheer up, people. It could be worse. Surely there can't be anyone who still wishes that Wayne Gray were still playing for us after his shambolic performance on saturday?

Harrold has what? A track record of goals? Stop it - my ribs hurt!!

2 in 11 at Brentford? 2 in 6 at Grimsby? 9 in 30 + 17 subs at Yeovil? 3 in 14 + 23 subs at Southend?

That's 16 in 61 starts, about 1 in 4. Not good enough.

1 in 4 is a dozen goals a season, that's a decent return for a targetman. The 9 in 30 that he got in a mediocre Yeovil team playing in this division is probably the clearest indication that he can and has scored goals at this level.

I still need convincing. I'm sure he's a decent chap and if he knocked on my door in May and said "I got 25 goals this season!" I'd buy him a curry and a pint!

I still need convincing. I'm sure he's a decent chap and if he knocked on my door in May and said "I got 25 goals this season!" I'd buy him a curry and a pint!

He's not in the side to score 25 a season though. He's there to win headers, to hold up the ball and to help the other striker and the midfielders to get on the scoresheet whilst hopefully getting 10-15 himself. Now if you think he's not good at winning headers and holding the ball up then fair enough. He's not really my cup of tea either and I'd have him below Bradbury & possibly Paynter in the pecking order but to judge him purely on goals is extremely harsh when 1 in 4 is actually a fairly decent return for the type of player that he is.

He looks like he could do with a curry and a pint inside him, too.

i dont know how anyone can say we have a weak strike force. all our strikers can score at this level as they have already done it apart from foran and macdonald. macdonald however was scoring for fun in the conference and foran got 14 in the spl so he can do the same in this league. if they all play like they can i think we have a very good strike force. we may not have a 20 goal a season striker but they all can produce 10 each.

Back