• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Striker Shayon Harrison joins on loan from Spurs

If the lad comes here then I will give him my full support. The main feature seems to be that he is taller than the strikers we have at the moment so that adds something to the mix. He has played at Division 4 level so that is good as well.

At the risk of stating the obvious, we can only have 11 players on the pitch so that raises the question of who he might replace from the current starting XI. I would be reluctant not to see Fortune and Cox starting .......... and that leads me to thinking that this lad will be on the bench and might get to come on when the 3 points are relatively safe or an injury or to replace a tiring player.

So someone has to make way for him from the current list of substitutes. :sad:

Thanks! Happy to be back! Ten and a half years is a long time to be away. I'm really enjoying having a (relatively) normal job and being able to watch Southend again.

I think the thing with signings now is that they are until the end of the season. Obviously on last Saturday's performance, the lad is not just going to walk into the team ahead of Fortuné and Cox, however should one or both of them get injured in the next few games and be out for the season we do need to have some back up options. At the moment if they were both out, it would be Robinson and Wabo starting every game with no striking options on the bench. He's a year older and more experienced now than he was when he went to Yeovil, so that can be worth a lot in a young player too.

If Chris Powell (who was involved in the set up at Spurs) has seen enough of him to offer him a place in the squad, then that's good enough for me.

Are you still doing The Guardian podcast? Hope so.:thumbsup:

Have you been living in a box? The Totally Football Show And Totally Football league show are the best football pods out there! Much better than that Guardian crap.

So he couldn't actually get in the Yeovil side..
Lets see who it is and give them a chance- Ron said perhaps two forwards, this would make that more likely

To read anything into that I think we'd need to know:

1. Is he a better player now than a year ago? At that age I would be very concerned if he wasn't. His starts came at the end of his spell rather than at the beginning suggesting he was progressing.

2. What style of football were Yeovil playing and how does that compare to the style of football CP wants us to play? Someone mentioned that he likes crosses - on the basis of Saturday that would seem to be a good fit for us. I'd be concerned if he was a player in the style of Wabo or Ba.

Barnard was 23 when we signed him from Spurs; Coulthirst 19 and Harrison is 20.

FWIW I suspect he's going to be the only forward we sign in this window and it suggests we're shopping in the bargain basement again having spent all the cash on this summer's recruits and not had a cup run.

Have you been living in a box? The Totally Football Show And Totally Football league show are the best football pods out there! Much better than that Guardian crap.

We all live in a bubble Ricey.:winking:

(TBH I don't listen in that often but I have a good mate who does.As A Cambridge supporter, I was impressed that he knew Chris Powell was in the frame for the manager's job at Southend)

So if this is to be the one and only forward and not an experienced target man the question becomes would we be better playing our very own U23 prolific goal scorer who has shown lots of promise in his short first team performances, or someone else's (I guess the answer is yes if Chris Powell thinks he is much better- based on what none of us will have seen- and maybe its with option to buy as he out of contract in June hence having a longer term view also).

The thing about Southend United getting loan players from the Prem is that so far they have been totally not very good at this level, possibly with the exception of McQueen. So on the law of averages and with a new manager our luck may be about to change. I also believe in free school milk and that we still have a chance of the play-offs with Mr Powell in charge.

So if this is to be the one and only forward and not an experienced target man the question becomes would we be better playing our very own U23 prolific goal scorer who has shown lots of promise in his short first team performances, or someone else's (I guess the answer is yes if Chris Powell thinks he is much better- based on what none of us will have seen- and maybe its with option to buy as he out of contract in June hence having a longer term view also).

I think playing the style we do with wingers getting crosses in, we need someone taller than Wabo, Ba, Cox, Robinson and whilst MAF is quite tall he is not an aggressive "on me 'ead" type striker.

Back