• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Strikes take 2

I took a 10% pay cut a few years back so that company could stay in business. Now the business is back to its former glories.

Yep, and you left to set up on your own, presumably to better yourself doesn't sound like you were that enamoured with the 10% pay cut

It was also announced yesterday that public sector workers have have their wage increases frozen to 1% for the two years following the 2 year freeze resulting in a 2% increase in 4 years when the inflation rate will be 4-5% pa .

When Mrs FS went into social work she realised the pay was not as good as her other option but this was balanced to a degree by the pension, which having taken time out of work to raise a family was going to be small at the best of times, given the recent changes this is not looking so good now.

My private sector pension is not looking like a particularly good earner either, but thats down to the ex getting half of it when the divorce went through...

It does seem very crude of the government to cap public sector pay increases at 1%, when they are increasing benefits by 5.4%... what sort of message does that send out!?

I took a 10% pay cut a few years back so that company could stay in business. Now the business is back to its former glories.

I had a 10% paycut last year 6 weeks after starting the job, we got the money back but the chances of ever getting a payrise are slim to ****ing none! So its hard to feel any sympathy for the strikes.

As someone who is normally staunchly Conservative in their political thinking, I'm actually quite proud to be making a stand today. TAs are certainly not well paid but we joined a pension scheme that we thought compensated for the poor wages.

I agree totally about the concerns over nearly 70 year olds performing the kind of jobs we're talking about on this thread, and would like to point out that it's not just down to physical fitness, but also mental fitness. Do people really want nearly 70 year old firefighters trying to rescue people from burning buildings, ambulance crew attending injuries as a result of late night drunken melees or prison officers guarding some low life scum in jails? The cons would love that, they could plot stuff without being heard or noticed!

I'm afraid also that until I see MPs stop preaching something on the one hand while continuing to award themselves better pensions, better pay and better "benefits in kind" that I can't take any one of them seriously.

Solidarity today, I felt, was vital.

As someone who is normally staunchly Conservative in their political thinking, I'm actually quite proud to be making a stand today. TAs are certainly not well paid but we joined a pension scheme that we thought compensated for the poor wages.

I agree totally about the concerns over nearly 70 year olds performing the kind of jobs we're talking about on this thread, and would like to point out that it's not just down to physical fitness, but also mental fitness. Do people really want nearly 70 year old firefighters trying to rescue people from burning buildings, ambulance crew attending injuries as a result of late night drunken melees or prison officers guarding some low life scum in jails? The cons would love that, they could plot stuff without being heard or noticed!

I'm afraid also that until I see MPs stop preaching something on the one hand while continuing to award themselves better pensions, better pay and better "benefits in kind" that I can't take any one of them seriously.

That is such a OMG moment.
Proud to make a stand,few days ago you were going in because you need the money and now that you cant work(your school is closed today)all of a sudden you arePROUD TO MAKE A STAND,if i could spell hipercrite then i would call you one.
Old blue lady back on form shocker.

Can I ask a two very simple questions?

1. Are public sector workers allowed to opt out of thier occupational schemes are into a private scheme?

2. If so, have any public sector workers on here compared the increased benefits they might get in so doing?

If they are allowed to opt out and the benefits are increased by doing so, then they should do it and get back to work. If there are no increased benefits in opting out, they should think their scheme is 'at market' and get back to work.

Get back to the kitchen nan, and stop ****ing around on shrimperzone your day off

Top man. And now - as self employed - you'll understand it far better.

For me - if my business does badly I'm the first to take a pay cut. If I want to earn more I have to pull my finger out and innovate. If I want a future income after retirement I have to provide for myself. Not too difficult is it!

Can I ask a two very simple questions?

1. Are public sector workers allowed to opt out of thier occupational schemes are into a private scheme?

2. If so, have any public sector workers on here compared the increased benefits they might get in so doing?

If they are allowed to opt out and the benefits are increased by doing so, then they should do it and get back to work. If there are no increased benefits in opting out, they should think their scheme is 'at market' and get back to work.

The problem with this of course is they would require wage rises to match the contributions that private sector people can afford to put in . The market that gives value to pensions is of course the stock market... which is buggered . And again private pensions (not sure about public ) can't have the moneys removed for reinvestment else where .
I have a private pension and have since i was 21 .

For me - if my business does badly I'm the first to take a pay cut. If I want to earn more I have to pull my finger out and innovate. If I want a future income after retirement I have to provide for myself. Not too difficult is it!
No but then you don;t have 100's , 1000's of employees who could not be managed nor provided for long term if you up-scaled . Also as you already pointed out your affected by the market your in and if anyone either wants or needs your product or service you provide .

Essential services like emergency health care , fire services and education are not a profit or loss making system and make no sense to be judged or managed in that way ?

Exactamundo.

Not if the contributions were paid directly into the scheme.

I've had a private pension since I started work at 17 if that's of any relevance.

I'm delighted to learn that my hard earned wages are being taxed to oblivion to pay for osy's pension. Get me the keys to my gun cabinet.

No but then you don;t have 100's , 1000's of employees who could not be managed nor provided for long term if you up-scaled . Also as you already pointed out your affected by the market your in and if anyone either wants or needs your product or service you provide .

Essential services like emergency health care , fire services and education are not a profit or loss making system and make no sense to be judged or managed in that way ?

Education already is two-tiered. And A&E wouldn't be so busy if people weren't so stupid.

Not if the contributions were paid directly into the scheme.

I've had a private pension since I started work at 17 if that's of any relevance.

If the contribuitions start of say as employee 10%- 5% employer (which is common ) and then either equalise or are taken by the employer over years of service then a low paid government worker (and a wage of 15000-18000 is not uncommon) would take the hit of 10% of the montly wage .

The original idea of attracting people into public sector was low wages were balanced by long term benefits , the private one was more a risk , but with greater rewards .

Education already is two-tiered. And A&E wouldn't be so busy if people weren't so stupid.

Maybe , though if the two tier has been in affect for the last decade neither one is anything to be proud of , and if run to actually make people more aware , then by your statement the A&E figures would decline .

So it's clearly the government's job to stop people being so stupid? I suppose it all makes sense when the state's looking after you.

Back