• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not surprised to be honest, there'll be an appointment from within I reckon.

Who do we reckon the player that is deciding on a move could be?

It appears that Ron thinks we are the only club of the 92 not to need an assistant. Perhaps Sturrock can help out with some odd jobs around the ground as well.

It appears that Ron thinks we are the only club of the 92 not to need an assistant. Perhaps Sturrock can help out with some odd jobs around the ground as well.

Though it sticks in my throat - I actually agree with RM on this one - we've Luggy, Coughlan and Ricky Duncan so should be enough to do the job

I don't see a problem here - I'd rather we sign a better standard of player instead, especially if Sturrock feels he can cope without an assistant.

Though it sticks in my throat - I actually agree with RM on this one - we've Luggy, Coughlan and Ricky Duncan so should be enough to do the job

It's not Ron's decision though, is it? Sturrock's been given a budget and he's the one deciding how best to allocate it.

It's not Ron's decision though, is it? Sturrock's been given a budget and he's the one deciding how best to allocate it.

You make it sound like the club is run as a real business and not a dictatorship with all goals set to please the furer.

Agree- and Coughlan joined as player/second team coach (after Tommy was already in place). But Coughlan is nearing the end and it was a stepping stone.
So let him provide cover on the playing side this and maybe next and take the number 2 role. He seems a good sensible, commited pro he has played at a decent level.

Coughlan will be de facto ***. Man. for now. Widdrington was widely disliked by a squad of players who didn't respond to him. Coughlan is quite the opposite, with one of the players describing him to me as 'an absolute legend'.

I can't belive all of you who think this is OK!
The single biggest signing the club can make during the window is an assistant manager. Sturrock has spoken recently about 'freshening things up' - surely this must include the coaching side of things. Do any of you watching Grandad Coughlan (Turns slower than milk) really think he's got the tactical nous to stand on the touchline with Strachan and coach them. He's a one dimensional old school hoofball centre-back.
we desperatle need someone who can COACH this team. The current tactics are wrong and so is team selection. We have 2 wide players who cant cross and cant score (although youmg Hall is a good prospect given time and coaching). Widdrington clearly wasn't the answer and seemed to spend all the time berating the players, but a good coach / number 2 must be a priority.
Strachan is not a well man... how about a good promising number 2 to come in with a view to taking over in a year or so, under the guidance of Sturrock?
I have no problem with Ricky Duncan being asked to be coach, failing that someone from outside, but for me a coach now is 100% more important than any one new player.

I can't belive all of you who think this is OK!
The single biggest signing the club can make during the window is an assistant manager. Sturrock has spoken recently about 'freshening things up' - surely this must include the coaching side of things. Do any of you watching Grandad Coughlan (Turns slower than milk) really think he's got the tactical nous to stand on the touchline with Strachan and coach them. He's a one dimensional old school hoofball centre-back.
we desperatle need someone who can COACH this team. The current tactics are wrong and so is team selection. We have 2 wide players who cant cross and cant score (although youmg Hall is a good prospect given time and coaching). Widdrington clearly wasn't the answer and seemed to spend all the time berating the players, but a good coach / number 2 must be a priority.
Strachan is not a well man... how about a good promising number 2 to come in with a view to taking over in a year or so, under the guidance of Sturrock?
I have no problem with Ricky Duncan being asked to be coach, failing that someone from outside, but for me a coach now is 100% more important than any one new player.

When did Gordon Strachan have anything to do with Southend. I can excuse typos but you can't really expect your opinion as a Southend fan to be respected on here if you don't know who's in charge of your football team.

Back