• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Style of football under Paul Sturrock?

If it was Sturrock in charge when Plymouth got promoted a few years back from our league, it was some of the best football I have seen. Excellent passing and very exciting to watch.
Still want Tilly back though!

A combination of both.

While it was somewhat missing at times in the last couple of years we were a good passing side under Tilly, but lacked that harder edge. I think you need a bit of both, I want a good passing side (i don't expect us to be arsenal), but with the grit to win aswell. Chelsea this season have been far less defensive than they were under Mourinho, they are more direct than longball which is fine, be efficient with the ball. 3 or 4 well placed passes that results in a cross or shot is far better then 20 pretty passes with no end product. At times that was what we got and it can be very frustrating.

I remember when Plymouth under PS won the Division 2 title and beat us 1-0 at Roots Hall. It was Steven Clarks debut I think and he looked an exciting signing at the time!, last I saw of him was playing right back for Chelmsford last season!.
However I thought that Plymouth were the best side I had seen over the years in the lowest divsion, they were very solid at the back (which is so important) and they had a french guy on the left side of midfield together with strong guys up front who had a decent goalscoring record. If PS can re-produce a side like that then we should be OK.
On the other hand, listening to his press conference, it sounded as if Ron had spun him the usual ambitious stuff and I will not feel confident until PS and his assistant have actually signed a contract and Ron comes up with £3m. Still wouldn't rule out PS leaving within the next week or so.

Hi Guys
Green army member here with a soft spot for your area due to a mate of mine living that way
Unfortunatley the reason you have sturrock as your manager is because he has decided he wants one last crack at managemenet and unfortunatley at the moment you guys with all your problems are the only ones who will have him
The teams sturrock produced in league 2 those 8 years ago whilst not being up there with the shilton-holloway teams of my times as a green were pretty successfull and as you have mentioned had a strong spine also to mention was team effort and goals from all departments in fact in many of those seasons wotton or coughlan who were the centre halves were the top scorers
Since then Sturrock has contracted parkinsons and has become a shadow of his former self and seemed unable to handle the bigger players at Home Park
He even let Seip score against us whilst on loan against us for Blackpool ! not a decision made by a well man
add to that constant rumours of fall outs with gow-maclean-walton the future does not look so bright for you
Once a legend but never go back is a rule that he has re-inforced at home park no matter who they are !
Oh the last 2 years of the legend football at Home Park effectionatley known as no idea Hoof Ball to the weakest 6ft 4 target man you have ever seen total garbage whilst we went down with mariner the performances did at least pick up away from home
Wish you all well and hope sturrock manages to find you a couple of his we gems from the scottish leagues or france where he has been known to find some stars (David Friio & Romain Larrieu)

Hi Guys
Green army member here with a soft spot for your area due to a mate of mine living that way
Unfortunatley the reason you have sturrock as your manager is because he has decided he wants one last crack at managemenet and unfortunatley at the moment you guys with all your problems are the only ones who will have him
The teams sturrock produced in league 2 those 8 years ago whilst not being up there with the shilton-holloway teams of my times as a green were pretty successfull and as you have mentioned had a strong spine also to mention was team effort and goals from all departments in fact in many of those seasons wotton or coughlan who were the centre halves were the top scorers
Since then Sturrock has contracted parkinsons and has become a shadow of his former self and seemed unable to handle the bigger players at Home Park
He even let Seip score against us whilst on loan against us for Blackpool ! not a decision made by a well man
add to that constant rumours of fall outs with gow-maclean-walton the future does not look so bright for you
Once a legend but never go back is a rule that he has re-inforced at home park no matter who they are !
Oh the last 2 years of the legend football at Home Park effectionatley known as no idea Hoof Ball to the weakest 6ft 4 target man you have ever seen total garbage whilst we went down with mariner the performances did at least pick up away from home
Wish you all well and hope sturrock manages to find you a couple of his we gems from the scottish leagues or france where he has been known to find some stars (David Friio & Romain Larrieu)

Thanks for that, I think.... let's hope a fresh start here makes the difference!

I'd happily plump for the hoof in the stratosphear, air raid sirens wailing during corners and supporters with tin hats on, if it meant we started winning some football games again. Worry about the pretty stuff again when we can afford to worry about it.

sturrock

morning all
im a swindon fan and as much as i hate sturrock for leaving us for a so called bigger and better club in plymouth he is a very very talented manager, and very good at signing cheap players who r very good,
dont be suprised if he signs his son blair sturrock who is a striker currently at mansfeild i think who isnt amazing to be honesed, and also craig easton who he signed for swindon town when he was in charge. easton has just been relased but alot of swindon fans would of prefered him to stay he is a very talented midfeilder that can score goals. good luck to you next season hope to see you back up in league 1

I really enjoyed our football under Tilly, and whilst I'd have once said I don't care about how we achieve the results that's no longer the case. I would prefer to see us win playing good football than win playing hoof ball and losing whilst playing good football is preferable to losing playing bad football.

That said, we didn't play particularly good football the last couple of seasons, with hackers like McCormack in central midfield ahead of the cultured Moussa. What is striking is how few passers Tilly ever signed. He inherited Gower and Maher and made no attempt to replace them, whilst continually searching for big targetmen (Foran, Harrold, Revell, Paynter etc). The only one I can think Tilly signed was Guttridge and that has to be cancelled out by signing Peter Clarke whose passing was abysmal.

I can only think that Tilly was badly burnt by his championship experience when he tried to go too far in favour of passing football and we found ourselves bullied rather than passed out of the division. He was too quick to get rid of "Mark" God Bentley, the pace of Wayne Gray and the head down on the overlap Duncan Jupp and then spent the rest of his time at the club over-compensating.

I think he'll have us exceptionally well organised defensively, which will give a couple of us something to appreciate and I have a feeling Paterson might be a key player for him. Apparently he's not afraid to give youth a go, which can only be a good thing. Speaking to a Swindon fan I know, he said that whilst there were a lot of 1-0s in the fourth division, he adopted a more expansive game in the third, once he had a chance to get the players in he wanted (eg Cox and Paynter).

I think we'd all agree with that YB... but would you prefer to see us win playing hoof ball as opposed to lose or draw playing good football?

morning all
im a swindon fan and as much as i hate sturrock for leaving us for a so called bigger and better club in plymouth he is a very very talented manager, and very good at signing cheap players who r very good,
dont be suprised if he signs his son blair sturrock who is a striker currently at mansfeild i think who isnt amazing to be honesed, and also craig easton who he signed for swindon town when he was in charge. easton has just been relased but alot of swindon fans would of prefered him to stay he is a very talented midfeilder that can score goals. good luck to you next season hope to see you back up in league 1

also i see that zaaboub and barry corr are training with you two of out former players, zaaboub can play left back or left mid and isnt a bad player but he is very moody and dives ALOT!!!!!! barry corr is very injury prone but a very good player when fit, i am a memeber of the same gym that all the swindon town players go to and i have spoken to barry corr a few times and he is one of the nicest men around very easy to talk to and always go time for the fans wish him every success but he is another player that if the game isnt going your way he looses his cool and gets silly bookings and last season for exeter i got more red cards than goals i think but like i said if he is match fit playing week in week out he is a very good player

morning all

Cheers for the sentiment there mate.
We'll see how this works out, depending on if he signs his contract after all the tax/embargo issues are sorted out.
I've been saying we'll no doubt end up with The Balir Sturrock Project for days, but would love to see Craig Easton in a Southend shirt...

also i see that zaaboub and barry corr are training with you two of out former players, zaaboub can play left back or left mid and isnt a bad player but he is very moody and dives ALOT!!!!!! barry corr is very injury prone but a very good player when fit, i am a memeber of the same gym that all the swindon town players go to and i have spoken to barry corr a few times and he is one of the nicest men around very easy to talk to and always go time for the fans wish him every success but he is another player that if the game isnt going your way he looses his cool and gets silly bookings and last season for exeter i got more red cards than goals i think but like i said if he is match fit playing week in week out he is a very good player

ah are those two in the training pictures on the official website?

ah are those two in the training pictures on the official website?

Yep, on the left of this picture Here

Zaaboub is the one to the left of Turner(?) with the ball at his feet and Corr is to the left of him, wearing what looks like the number 10 top. Number 29 is Mark Phillips from Brentford and Peter Gilbert is in the background to the left of Phillips. Possibly Anthony Straker from Aldershot is the little black dude.

Last edited:
Back