• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Subbuteo Sets

There's this starter set available now Westcliff Shrimper. Currently in stock at Argos in Sainsburys in Southend.
Things have changed since I played. Now numbers on the back, and some players have long hair or dark skin.

9063828_R_Z004A_UC1218610

9063828_R_Z002A
the above picture, that's the formation Kevin Bond should have used lol

I have a large collection of subbuteo in my loft, I use to use the old blue and white original for Southend, not that it is of interest to this post, but I some how acquired Coventry City's FA Cup winning subbuteo team and it is still boxed lol

Ventured into the loft this morning and dug my collection out. 6 teams, interchangeable keepers, live action keepers, thrown in figures, fencing, corner flags, goals and despite it's age and been boxed up for 40 years a pitch that is in better condition that Prenton Park.

Took some pictures but it seems they are to big for the server.

Is this the best Subbuteo kit of all time? It could be, I will leave that up to you. This is this guy's video today, VE Day. He comes from Southend. I forgot all about our 2012 Olympic team, with Ryan Giggs as captain. In the Quarter-Final, we lost after extra time on penalties(Of course)to South Korea. Stuart Pearce was the Manager, and he could only pick 3 players over 23. Ryan Giggs was 38. Pearce got slated for the team he chose and their poor performances.

If you pause at 2.30, you will see some absolutely fantastic Italy, Nigeria and England 1966 sets. They really are things of beauty, and I can see why he collects them. It's come a long way since I last played in the 70s. The detail on the shirts, and the shorts look so much better.

nintchdbpict000004799956.jpg

My eldest son absolutely loves subbuteo. Have to say it's got way better than when I had it in the late 80s but it's mainly because there is more companies making stuff.
For a start Zeugo, their teams, I've yet to glue a man back on his base, I'm forever gluing broken original branded Subbuteo men even though they now claim to be 'bendy' and not as breakable.
Technology has obviously got better as well, I had the floodlights circa 1990 and the batteries needed changing after about half hour of use, now my son has l.e.d ones from some random German maker and they are still as bright now as they were 2 years ago.

subbuteoworld.co.uk is a go to for me to get presents for him and there is also a guy on ebay, realkopite, who does fantastic name cards and other bits he makes himself. He's done me various signs even my sons U10 team.

This has all jolted my aging memory again. I had mine set up in the back room on the floor and built a main stand complete with roof from Lego.

Would like to say it looked similar to Uncle Ron's FF dream.

My subbuteo (predictive text really hates it!) is all safe and sound in my mums loft, so my kids can’t get their hands on it (yet) and break it all. That said, I fondly remember my rep of Ireland team came with one player with only one arm! You don’t get that in FIFA 21 on a PS5!

What we're your favourite balls? Mitre delta, Adidas tango white, tango orange or generic big brown 60s ball?

Tango white were just class.

Loved the Adidas tango white until Italia '90 came along, superb ball with the little block man mascot on. I seem to remember they even did red, white and green goal nets as well in that set.
I have those Italia 90 nets and balls, along with the rolled up astroturf pitch and grandstand they were my pride and joy! Different times!

I seem to remember railings \low fencing around mine, that were constantly falling over !!! Don't know if I'm confusing it with some other game! Anyone else recall low fences?
The process of getting the cloth pitch to stay flat!!! I used pegs on a large board but it made the touchline wonky

Last edited:
I seem to remember railings \low fencing around mine, that were constantly falling over !!! Don't know if I'm confusing it with some other game! Anyone else recall low fences?
The process of getting the cloth pitch to stay flat!!! I used legs on a large board but it made the touchline wonky

You had to put in on a wooden (plywood) base.

Back